Disappearing door???

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

I want to 'disappear' a door, using wallpaper. I've never seen a door wallpapered, and I'd like to know if any of you have tried it and what the outcome was. Did it hold up and, or did you 'seal' the paper and, if so, what did you use?? I'm an experienced wallpaper hanger, and doing the door will be a piece of cake, but I know very little about paint and sealers. I have decoupaged some large photos, on to walls and doors and it's worked great, looks new after several years, but I tend to make it hard on myself and wonder if I really need to do that to the wallpapered door??? I realize I can just paper the door and seal it later, if it needs it, but I'm hoping that some of you have tried it and might be able to tell me what to expect. My paper and glue are superior quality. TIA!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

First seal it with something like Kilz or one by Zinger. Then put "size" on door before applying wallpaper. I would really get those edges down good and let really dry well. I doubt I would seal it. Just do it. It'll be great.

Thanks, sugarweed!!! I'm glad I didn't get to it, until now. I will do what you suggested and see what happensl. SherryLike

Sherry, just dawned on me, if its a natural wood finish you might want to go back to seal it with polyurethane first instead of Kilz/Zinger. But if its already been painted use the first method.
I think this sounds like a terrific idea. Take before and after pictures anytime you fix an area.
You will be glad you did. Best of luck. Sidney

Sidney, I failed to ask you - have you done this and, if so, did it hold up??

No, not a door, but depending on traffic for that door, it ought to last. Almost all wallpaper has some kind of vinyl in it now and the prep is where you make your job. I would do this in a heartbeat if I had a place for it. The switch plate in my kitchen is covered with border paper and is showing wear after 5 years of the light being turned on or off a dozen times a day. I think it will last. lots of luck . Sidney

This message was edited Sep 24, 2004 10:13 PM

Sidney, I use fabric for switch plates. I glue it on, fold it over, press it down really well, and use tiny scissors or a small sharp knife to cut the fabric to fold over. I hate to tell you this but I use a leopard, cotton print from wal-mart, the print is small, it's on the dark side but works well with light colors, wood, wallpaper, etc, I've been using the same fabric for at least 20 years, in totally different type homes, offices. Not a single switch plate has shown any wear and tear. They are different inexpensive, easy to make and they hold up. I use a black magic marker on the screws, if they are cream or ivory...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I've never heard/thought about wallpapering a door! Far out. That'd be neat in some rooms.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

DH's cousin did a neat trick to hide a door. She put that black paint on it to make a chalkboard for her little kids (they're 2 and 4). She put a decoative edge around it, forget just what, and she uses the top part they can't reach for her notes. Looks really neat!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

How did this turn out? Picture please, thanks Joelle

Joelle, will send photo when I get a chance, I broke my ankle, so it might be a while, but remind me if I forget - it worked SUPER great, much better than I anticipated, has been used LOTS and it is holding up better than it did before I papered it...

That's great! Needless to say, I am anxious to see results too.
Stay off that ankle as much as you can.
Sidney

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

I hope you heal well Sherry! No hurry on a pic. Thanks

Thank you very much, I'm supposed to be well in 9 more weeks, lol!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.