designing a valance

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

put your imagination caps on. I have 2" wooden blinds in my living/dining rooms 1943 cape cod. white. the tops are totally utilitarian, nothing attractive. I have been planning on a simple 13-15 " valance but now think I should have something else a little softer. I have to have the top 4-5 " of these blinds covered (from the sides and front)so think a straight cloth 5-6"valance made with maybe a soft colored stripe or? and then with this floral fabric I have for the windows do something like you see where the fabric is draped around the rod(valance) no sewing and drapes from the ends to maybe 10--15 "? If the top of these wooden blinds were attractive and not just iron hardware I could just hang a deco. rod and drape. I know this idea is not original but where to find it? I have little "eye" but know what I like when I see it; using someone elses God given talent.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

You will need the width of your window, plus the length of your drop-twice and extra for swags and draping.. You can play until you get what you like. Use rubber bands to grip "rosettes". I've also used cut up six pack plastic to pull loops of fabric through. Hang these on cup hooks in the corners, or half way down the sides for "bishops sleeves". Hide all your "high tech hardwear" of course. Good luck.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

sugarweed, do you have any photos you could post? Have you ever seen a cloth covered valance like hardward, 4-6 " with the draped or swagged fabric over it? I stopped by a local drapery place. $40 a foot. No Can do.

Okay I have a better vision.of what you want. First build your valence base of 1/4" plywood. staple batting over that and cover the batting with your fabric. Get a purchased pattern that includes jabots and swags. This will give you a construction guide for fabric and you can attach to valance base with staples. Check the library and pattern catalogs. If I can find my digital camera, I will take a picture of bell topper. I have made many and they are great. I dont have any right now like the one you want. You would hang this structured valance with L brackets. Hope this helps.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

sugarweed, we have got to stop meeting like this. Your term "bell toppers" has me confused. No idea what you are talking about. My parents, now deceased, lived in Pensacola for years and spoke of their good friends in Jacksonville. The shrimp boats.

Well Check your "Cording 3rd color" thread. I have been a "Shoestring" decorator for years. Of course the Bell Topper Valance does not have a wood base like the $40. a foot valance, but guarantee (sp?) they are show stoppers. Of course you want to match patterns for a classy job. I usually let the repeat in the pattern dictate what length mine will be. Decorator fabric generally has any where from 12" to 24" repeat. That means you can exactly match a pattern ever how often your repeat is. Mine are (I just really measured) finished length of 11" at center front of bell and 19" at the tip of the long curve between. I believe my repeat was 23-1/2". I stiched 4 widths of 54" fabric togeather matching the pattern. I also stiched 3-24" pieces of cotton satin twin sheet (66"wide.) togeather. I pressed them and folded them in the middle with right sides togeather.(I do this on the floor) I put the liner down first. then the decorator fabric on top. Then I put pattern on top and cut all 4 layers at one time. Make sure fold is on top of fold and the bottom edge are even before cutting. I then stitch the cording to the right side of the wavy edge of decorator fabric using my zipper foot and matching the "attach edge" of cording with fabric. Then I match the wavy edge of of lining togeather with corded deco fabric and stich again just beside original stiching, thus having a corded edge. Before turning Clip your curves on high curves and cut notches around the bottom edge of long curve. This is where you need to take time and clip deco fabric all the way across first, then turn over and clip lining all the way across. I then stitch the ends, clip those bottom corners and turn right side out.
Now press really well. Fold the top edge down 1" and press. Fold down again 3-1/2 " and press. Stitch along that edge making rod pocket. Press and put on rod. Arrange into "bells" and try not to spend the rest of the day looking at them. I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know. Sidney P.S. I plan on charging $15 to $20 per foot plus materials when I go into business

This message was edited Oct 4, 2004 1:31 PM

Let's see if I can give you a picture now.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And one more

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_windows_valances_swags/0,1792,HGTV_3544,00.html

This site has some great tips and pictures to get you started.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am not seamstressy enough to make those darling valances sugarweed makes. Besides the fabric I got for dimes and I just love is nearly too little BUT I am going to make it work. I am going to make swags. The most simpleseteststsest swags ever made. Cut the length for each window and then "line" each rectangle piece of fabric and swag it over the window using something like a U hook to hold up. Have any of you done something so simple and like it? I am going to pull this off w/ the pretty cotton print fabric I got at Mill End store and spend as little $ as possible.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have done simple fabric swags using cup hooks and even door knobs for hardware. I have also used a rough tree branch put up with l brackets to swag and drape sheer gauze fabric on. Use your imagination and just go for it!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

zanymuse, how did you "do" your fabric? line, pipe, ?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I am not sure what you mean by "do" but I have used about anything you can think of to attach and or hold the fabric in place from hidden hat pins, staples, rubberbands, tacks, wire and glue. Anything that works and can be hidden from view.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

zanymuse, I meant did you line your fabric? how did you finish the edges? etc? I am not using a pattern and as I wrote earlier this 6 1/3 yds is really not enough for my 5 windows if I did. So I am cutting fabric 1/2 lengthwise making each window piece only 27" wide. I tore up an old thin bed sheet to "test" my ideas. I over analyze when I am nervous about cutting for fear of ruining fabric. many thanks for your advice.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, it will have more fullness and volumn if it is lined. Use a compilmentary color or a good contrast for the lining. The lining does not have to be expensive material. I have used bed sheets found on sale for inexpensive lining fabric and it actually held up better than the roc-lon linings.

I sewed the fabric and lining together facing each other leaving only a small opening in th top center to turn it. I did taper the ends on the piece.Then turn it right side out, press well and hand stitch the opening closed with a blind stich. This leaves you with a long "scarf" that you can drape and swag at will.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.