American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

American Beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

The whole plant with nicely arching branches.

Thumbnail by htop
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for posting the whole plant, I wondered just what it looked like.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You are quite welcome. I too find it helpful to see a view of a whole plant along with views of the blooms, leaves and/or fruit.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes especially when you have only seen the gorgeous closeup shots of the berries, makes you want one - but sometimes the "entire" photo isn't as appealing, but in this case it still was!
Thanks again, oh, can you also tell me, do they self seed and sprout readily like my rose of sharons, or are they easier to contain?
Laurrie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have not grown one of these myself so I don't know. This photo was taken of a plant growing in a yard by my Mother's house. I have read that the seeds have a high germination rate and 1 Dger said they had many babies coming up. I did a search to see if it is listed as invasive and didn't find it on the lists that I located. I searched to see if it suckers and could not find any information. One site stated that the roots usually do not pose a problem. It is listed on many sites as a desireable shrub. If it were super invasive, I would think that this fact would be mentioned. Perhaps someone who has actually grown this plant will provide answers to your questions. I am sorry that I have not been much help to you.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information you have given, I think either way it's a worthwhile bush/shrub to have!! I can super mulch if I dont' want it to take over.

Thanks again!
Laurrie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

By the way, it grows into a rather large plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.