Wowzers Look at This.......

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my first year to grow these and this is the first time for this baby to bloom.........Dutchman's Pipe Aristolochia gigantea
Wow to say the least........Beautiful blooms and they smell like lemons.....
Very pretty and worth while.........Now I will try and get the smaller ones to.....
:o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Another of more buds beginning.......this thing is just loaded with blooms. Does anyone know where the seeds pods form?

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Beautiful WW! Sorry I cannot help you with info regarding seedpods, but I can offer you some help if you insist in getting rid of a few seeds LOL.

Maybe you want to trade for some Aristolochia chilensis (scrambler) in it's yellow version and ..... with a quite unpleasant scent LOL. Just got the seeds from my friend Ricardo Martini. He's a geologist and works in the Atacama desert on prospections. Can't find the picture he sent me.....

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow..... these are beautiful.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

AWSOME!

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Excellent WW!:-) Mine started blooming mid-sept, but I've only had it for a few months, thus not a lot of blooms so far, only 4 total, but they are impressive.

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

They are strange about producing seed pods. I have a large one that has been blooming since earlier this season. I"ve had MANY blooms and have had it produce only 2 seedpods. They form where the bloom falls off. I've airlayered mine for two different people and they both love it. Good luck with yours. It smells like lemon grass to me but only for a short while after the bloom opens up. Nice scent hu? I love it.

Indigo,
Did you get my response e-mail I sent you? Just checking to make sure.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Do these like full sun or what in our area Bug? Do you leave yours outside for the winter...tell me more about this vine please......

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Urusla, If I get any seeds youve got a deal.......... they have your name on them.

Weeds This is in simi shade and I am leaving it out this year depending on the weather, if we get a freeze or frost warning I will cover it and put a light bulb under it. It is in a 5 gallon pot and a huge wire basket for the vines to climb on so I sure don't want to move it.
This is my first year to grow this so alot is going to be trial and error and hopefully I won't kill it in the meantime........LOL
Dee

spelling errors..... uck.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2004 9:41 AM

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Thanks !

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Willow, I have never grown one obvoiusly and might give it a try next year so let me know what happens this winter.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine was in full sun and has bloomed two flushes. The first flush had about 15 blooms and the second one I ended up cutting off to bring my plant in the house before the frost, but it had six or eight already formed buds with one blooming before the cut. Such a strange plant, but fun to watch. Never had a pod on mine. Nice pictures Dee.

Weeds,
This will be the first winter for mine. Rylaf also has it and has had in for quite some time. She says that hers hardly noticed that it was winter. It didn't bloom by only lost a few leaves and didn't even die back. She's also in 8b only a short distance from where I live. Good luck with it if you decide to get it. You won't be dissappointed.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Mine are blooming now too. They are loaded. Last year, I hand pollinated and got three pods.
They are pollinated by flies. The fly crawls inside the bloom and is trapped by hairs in the flower that won't let him climb out. The next morning the hairs change so he can climb out and as he does, he gets the pollen on his head to take to the next flower. He is not hurt while trapped, but has lots of nectar to eat. The pollen ripens after the flower opens, so the fly takes pollen from one plant into the flower, but can't leave till the pollen from that flower is ripe, to prevent the flower being self pollinated.
To hand pollinate, you must use pollen from a flower that has been open one day, any newer flower and the pollen is not ripe, any older and the pollen is no good. To get the pollen, take a straight edge razor and slit the back of the flower, reach inside with a q-tip and collect the pollen. It's right at the back of the flower opening(the little hole in the center front of the flower, that goes into the pouch). Slit the recipient flower(this should be a fresh flower that's just opened within a few hours, no more than a few hours open), you will see the stigma inside the flower, dab pollen on the stigma. It doesn't seem to hurt to cut a slit in the pouch and if you're careful, it won't mess up the looks of the bloom. If the pollination was successful, the flower will fall off and the stem where the flower was will swell and grow into a pod. If it wasn't successful, the stem will turn black. I pollinated lots of flowers and only got a few pods.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Well I just ran outside and did what you said Cala cause I had a new one open this morning.....My vine is loaded with buds the center of it is just covered so if this works I should have some seed to share.
I did notice some tiny black ants inside I wonder if they are helping to polinate or if they are to small to do any good........
This is this mornings blooms........
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Mine seems to have halted it's bloooming due to the fact that it was in a dark room for a week during Ivan. I hope it starts blooming again soon because I'm about to cut it way back to make cuttings and to remove it from the temporary trellis so that I can plant it in its permanent place up against the house in a new bed.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Something new........how do you do your cuttings..
I could do some later and share to. That way I would have seed and cuttings .
Dee

Willow,
I have not done cuttings of mine yet. The only thing I've done was airlayering but I've read that yto do cuttings you do them in the fall and they have to be semi-ripe wood. Good luck.

Mine is huge, and I'll need to clean it up a bit when it quits blooming. I could try some semi-hardwood cuttings. Does anyone know if it loses it's leaves in zone 10?
Willow, I read that it has to be a fly that pollinates. I saw small gnats in mine last year, but they didn't seem to be pollinating. I need to go out this evening and see if anything is in these down here. Why does A. elegans make seeds easily and A. gigantea doesn't? Do different insects pollinate them?
Your flowers look great!

A. gigantea smells awesome (as mentioned above) like lemon grass while (I believe) elegans smells not so good (to put it lightly). Based on this I think it would be safe to assume that it IS a different insect that pollinates them.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

You know yall a probably right about the smell. If it stinks it is resonable to asume that flys would be drawn to it and would pollinate it. Since this one smells good or pretty good I don't see any flies around it at all so I guess I will have to rely on Calas way of trying to get seed and pollinate it my self.
I really think the ants that are in there are just to small anyways........
dee

Though ants do pollinate many plants, I have found that in most cases they are just hanging around for some free sweets.

Bugfreak, that does make sense!

Cala,
Isn't it neat how different they can be from eachother.?

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

On my knees begging please, and I have never done it before....lol

I would love to have a few seeds or cuttings from this plant if anyone becomes successful with their propogation.

Just let me know. Thanks,
Donna

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna If I get enough seed to share I will have you as number 2 on the list. Your name will be after Ursulas........
Dee

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Thanks so very much....sure do appreciate it. Ok, now lets pray for seeds. lol

Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

very nice photo!!! It's sooo pretty!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Hugo mine was loaded with buds before Ivan and lost them all but plants seems to be perkng back up. I was so looking forward to seeing the blooms. By the way it had a seedpod on it when you gave it to me lol

Hi Donna,
Yeah I think remember that there was a seedpod on it. Bummer that you didn't get to see blooms this year. You'll have tons in the Spring I'm sure. They like to go nuts with blooms. Did the seedpod continue to develop?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Absolutely gorgeous!! Now if I could just figure out how to overwinter it in Zone 6a.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I went searching again on the NET. found this one in Ebay, has lovely leaves, put in this number and check it out. 4327986662

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I love the size of your bloom, it's beautiful. I have a dutchmans pipe vine that I grew 3 years ago from seed. This is the third year for it, didn't bloom the first year, a few blooms last year, this year had several blooms. I love this plant, wish it was hardy here. I bring my plant into my basement and let it go dormant. I only water it every 6 weeks a small amount of water to keep it alive. In the spring I prune it back, and it comes back nicely. I just picked 5 seed pods yesterday from my plant if anyone wants any seeds for sase. I would love some seeds from your Dutchman's Pipe Aristolochia gigantea if you get any. Here is a picture of my bloom this summer. It was about 3" across. Cathy

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg

Cathy, you have mail.

Donna

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

HOW COOL! I can't wait to start mine next year!

I took a closer look at the flower, and I don't think it's A. gigantea you have, but A. elegans. (http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/30949/), BUT, when I did a seach on A. gigantea (http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/28934/), it had an unusual form in addition to your form, so I don't know what to think...except I can't grow my seeds now! :-(

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Very cool looking plant, Dee. Thanks for sharing!

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

wow I love those !!

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of the seed pod on the vine.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

ripe seed pod

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.