Dri-Loc

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had forgotten what a lousy and intensive job it is to apply Dri-Loc to bare cement block to control moisture!

I only did about an area 10 feet wide x 8 feet tall today and my arm feels like it's about to fall off. Used a full gallon on just that space, and still have more than half remaining. It's like applying a thick paste to a wall... NO way to use a roller either, LOL, and each 4" x 4" area requires going over and over and over in different directions to fill all the cavaties in the block. I wonder if I will ever get it finished... and the smell is really obnoxious.

This room will be my walk-in pantry and extra cooking utensil storage off the kitchen, so it's important that it be dry.

I took a photo but left my camera at my new place-to-be.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Darius, for sharing your tale of woe. I have a large basement (40X24 and 11 courses tall) which has always been dry. This year I noticed some minerals leaching throught the block, and I wondered if I ought to apply some sort of interior waterproofing. I think I'll take my chances. That sounds like a lot of work!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Funny, guess what? I am doing the smae thing. I have just gotten started, but my handy (but not available to help) sister told me to invest in a LOT of cheap rollers, but also in a few with a 3/4" to 1" nap. You should be getting 200 sq ft per gallon, or 75/125 with two coats. Also, did you stir it for at least 15 minutes, I have found that really helps...

Did you have yours tinted, or is it just white. I didn't think to have mine tinted, so I will go over it with Latex paint when I finish. And then I have to do the floor (it is tinted)

Hope this helps. Also I found a material by XYPEX called HD-150, and I will use it on the outside cinderblock buiilding. Does anyone have experinece with it?

Good luck, we can both post ppics soon...

Tamara, rollers no matter how think the nap, will NOT cut it. Maybe for the second coat...

I think I am getting only about 150 sq. ft. per gallon on the first coat, but this block is VERY porous. Plus there is a lot of mineral leaching (probably alkaline from the block) that sucks up the Dri-Loc. I didn't have it tinted, but will paint the rest of the area the same color. Since it's basically storage, I don't care and the white will help with lighting in that area.

Bob, think harder. Leaching is the first sign that hygroscopic pressure is building up against the outside of the block. Fix it now while it's relatively easy..

edited for spelling

This message was edited Oct 17, 2004 4:39 PM

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

I was afraid you'd say that, Darius. What's sort of frustrating is that when we built this house in 1985, we did our utmost to waterproof the basement. We dug it to the specified depth and then added 2 courses of block to the foundation so that when we back-filled, we would create a slope away from it. We applied two coats of the best available exterior goo - and I do mean goo to it. It went on like cold tar, and if it got on your skin, it burned, and it just had to wear off. Of course we installed French drains all around with a 6' drop on the output to insure no standing water. I left the trench open until the HVAC was installed and ran the condensate drain all the way down the slope too. All of my down spouts are drained into dry wells 6 feet from the foundation and down-slope. Ain't Mother Nature mean sometimes?

Bob, I hate to tell you this, but I'd bet the ranch your french drains are now clogged up and will get worse. You had the best available information to residential contractors at the time, but more information was available, they just didn't know about it.

It has nothing to do with Mother Nature.

There is a material, used mostly for commercial applications, called "EnkaDrain" and I use it a lot to remedy water problems. Basically its a thick silt barrier fabric with a bunch of coils bonded to one side. The coils go against the "tar" on the block walls, and down over the french drain. This traps the silt in rain run-off, and keeps the drains running free for many, many, many years.

Regular french drains clog in about 6 years or less, depending on soil composition. You are lucky yours has lasted this long.

Well, I did twice as much today as yesterday on the Dri-Loc application... used all the rest of the 2 gallon pail and I think another 2 gallons will finish the job on the second coat and just a small part that needs a first coat. Man, that stuff stinks.

Then I cut-in and painted the first coat on about half the 14x26 living room. My arm may really fall off, LOL!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ugh, Dri-Loc. When we rented the lower in an old house a few years back, our bedroom was in the semi-finished basement. There was water seepage, and our landlord went the cheap route and used that Dri-Loc stuff all around the basement walls. What a STINK. It looked like marshmallow cream -- actually kinda neat, like old stone. They did it from floor to ceiling, and the funny thing was, next time there was a good rain, the water just soaked into the block and came in at the top of the Dri-Loc and dripped down over it!

We moved.

Yeah, been there, GW. This problem will be helped by the newly installed gutters and downspouts; otherwise, I'd not have done a lease.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

One thing I neglected to mention, Darius. We put down a good layer of wash gravel under the French drains. Then we covered them with a spun bond polyester cloth that was as high tech as we could get back then. It was sort of like the landscaping cloth you see all the time these days. We covered that with another layer of wash gravel. I think I may be grabbing at straws.

Bob, AllI can say is you did the best you could with what was known then. Keep grasping at those straws, LOL!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Darius,

Be careful! I got tennis elbow last year when were were painting the house (exterior) and it took me forever to get over it. Any way you can rent a power roller for the other wall painting? Might be worth it.

Good Luck!

M.

Marcia, no $ for renting a power roller, LOL. Today I finished ALL the first coat on the LR and stairwell to the upstairs, and some of it even got a second coat. Eventually I will have a wonderful screen to sort of hide the stairwell. I was taking it easy today!

I went to the paint store just before they closed for more DryLoc, my weekend project, 2nd coat. Also got a gallon of a porch/patio (cement floor) paint in a lavender for the floor in the room where I'm doing the Dryloc. It's the "Wealth Corner" if you know anything about Feng Shui.

Got paint for my front door, too... which right now is a bright red... and the landlord is painting the house a harvest yellow. My door will be teal when I get around to it.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey, Darius, Is applying Dri-loc as hard as polishing brass? DON'T HIT ME! It'S a joke. I promise! LOL.

Harder, actually... but just because there's more wall space compared to brass area, LOL.

I knew it was joking. :)

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

How ya comin? Wish I could come help....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I thought of you last night when I was at the store...I was in the paint aisle and saw the cans of Dry-Loc and all the special brushes made for it.

Bethany, IL(Zone 5b)

Darius:
Thanks for the info....now I am NOT thinking about applying DriLoc to my basement!

Well, 10 days after I started, I am really glad I did it, despite the aggravation and shoulder pain which was temporary... and the second coat was finished about a week ago!

I also painted the floor, and washed down the overhear floor joists with clorox water. Sure smells better in there, and I feel good about storing food in there.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hooray for you Darius, a job done and well done feels great, doesn't it? I am still working, had to take a break from the basement for more urgent winterproofing...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.