Endangered Recipes: Too Good to Be Forgotten

Louisville, KY

Over the weekend I watched Flavors of America with Jim Coleman and cookbook author Lari Robling. Her new cookbook is: Endangered Recipes: Too Good to Be Forgotten; they talked about favorite family recipes and how to rescue them by sharing with families. I thought it might be interesting to begin a few on a new thread and see if others had other "endangered recipes" to share.
Gary/Louisville

Our Favorite Meatloaf
McCall's featured in McCall's Cookery #5 printed in 1984
6 slices bacon
3 eggs
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup soft white bread crumbs
1 1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 pound ground pork
1/4 pound ground veal
2 tablespoon finely chopped onion
2 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup chopped green onions
Parsley sprigs

1 In a medium skillet, sauté bacon over medium heat until partially cooked.
2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3 In a large bowl, beat eggs with salt, pepper, thyme, nutmeg and cloves until well mixed. Stir in milk, sour cream and bread crumbs. Let stand 5 minutes.
4 Add beef, pork, veal, onion, chopped parsley, celery leaves, chives, garlic: mix lightly until well blended.
5 Line bottom and ends of a 9 x 5 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pan with a strip of waxed paper, 15 x 3 inches. Spoon meat mixture into the pan, spreading evenly. Pack meat in pan.
6. Invert meat loaf into a baking pan; lift off loaf pan; remove wax paper.
7. Arrange bacon crosswise over the meat loaf. Bake 45 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine chili, brown sugar and mustard. Brush over meatloaf; bake 15 minutes.
9. Remove to heated serving platter.
Garnish with green onion and parsley.

Spaghetti Marco Polo
This is a recipe that Julia Child made with "Chef Brockett" (the late Don Brockett) for Fred Rogers on one of the "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" episodes. It was first printed with permission from Family Communications Inc., Pittsburgh. (Unfortunately, the cookbook is out of print.)

2/3 cup chopped walnuts or peanuts
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/2 cup chopped red pimento
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
8 ounces semolina spaghetti
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese or shredded Swiss cheese

Mix walnuts, olives, pimento, parsley and chives in bowl; set aside. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain well. Place olive oil in serving bowl. Add spaghetti; toss to coat well. Season to taste. Spoon walnut mixture over spaghetti. Toss lightly at the table. Serve immediately with cheese.
Julia Child in "Kids Cook with Stuffee" by the Pittsburgh Children's Museum, 1988.

Woolworth's Doughnuts

2 lbs., 4 oz. Raw Potatoes
(To make 2 lbs. Mashed)
1 ¼ cups shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
4 tablespoons salt
3 ounces yeast
8 cups water
32 cups flour
Flour is used in kneading dough. Shortening is for frying doughnuts.
Place warm mashed potatoes in large mixer bowl. Add shortening, sugar and salt and mix for 1 minute.
Measure water. Add yeast to water and dissolve with a wire whip. Add to potato mixture.
Next, add the 16 cups of flour, and continue mix until dough leaves side of bowl, about 5 minutes. Scrape once during mixing.

Allow dough to rest for 25 minutes. Then, turn dough out onto floured board. Roll to ½ inch thickness, and cut with a 3-inch doughnut cutter.

Let doughnut rise. Fry at 380 to 385 degrees for 3 – 4 minutes on each side.

Brush with glaze recipe of your choice.

Bologna Salad Sandwich Spread in the 50's
Sweet relish and eggs round out the flavor of bologna in this simple but delicious spread. Serve it on cocktail toast, or use it in sandwiches. The amount of egg, creamy salad dressing and relish should be adjusted to taste.
4 eggs
1 (16 ounce) package bologna
1 (16 ounce) jar creamy salad dressing
1 cup sweet pickle relish

Directions
1 Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold
water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from
heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12
minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
2 Grind the bologna and eggs in a meat grinder with a
medium blade.
3 In a large bowl, mix the bologna mixture with desired
amount of creamy salad dressing and desired amount of sweet pickle relish. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours, or until chilled.

Bologna Salad Sandwich Spread
2 lb. bologna
1 med. box of Velveeta cheese
6 hard boiled eggs
1 sm. jar sweet pickle relish
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
2/3 lg. jar mayonaise
2 T. mustard

Cut bologna and cheese into chunks. With a hand food grinder, grind bologna, cheese and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add sweet pickle relish and chopped onions. Carefully fold in mayo, adding as needed until thoroughly mixed. Add mustard and mix well. Will make about 25 sandwiches. Will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days. Great for picnics and back yard suppers.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2004 10:09 AM

Louisville, KY

I want to include The Best Pimento Cheese ever which my mother made when we were little growing up in SC.

Homemade - Best Pimento Cheese
8 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese
1 4-ounce jar pimento
1/3 cup Duke's mayonnaise

Grate cheese and let stand at room temperature for an hour.
In a food processor, puree pimentos and their juice into a smooth paste with no chunks. Add mayonnaise and puree again. Add cheese and blend thoroughly until smooth. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Enjoy!
Gary/Louisville

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

I don't have any great family recipes, but have a few recipes that I use over and over to satisfy demand, and believe they should be shared to ensure they don't become endangered!! I hope this is okay with you Grant.

ROTINI NAPOLITANO

4 cups Rotini (spirals)
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Kg (2.25 lbs) boneless, skinless chicken, cut up in 1 inch pieces
1 Tblsp. Olive oil
1 bag raw baby spinach
1 lb. Light Ricotta cheese
1 jar PC Spicy Roasted Garlic pasta sauce (or your favourite sauce)

Heat oven to 350F.
In large pot, boil water with 1 Tblsp. Olive oil, add Rotini and boil for 9 minutes only. Drain.

While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tblsp. Olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and brown, turning frequently, for about 5 minutes.

Put Ricotta cheese and pasta sauce in a large bowl and mix until blended. Add spinach, chicken and pasta. Toss until well mixed. Pour mixture into a large greased casserole dish.

Bake, covered for approximately 60-75 minutes. Enjoy.

CORNISH GAME HENS INDIENNE

6 Cornish game hens
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme
¼ cup melted butter
Sauce
6 slices bacon
1 small onion finely chopped
5 tbsp. Flour
2 tbsp curry powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups apricot juice
juice of one orange
juice of one lemon

Stuffing
½ cup wild rice and ½ cup brown rice cooked in chicken stock
¼ cup melted butter
1/8 cup dry red wine
½ cup mushrooms

Rinse hens in water and pat dry, inside and out. Combine salt, pepper and thyme and sprinkle ½ tsp of mixture inside each hen. Pour butter into shallow baking dish and place hens breast side up. Bake at 375 for 55-60 minutes, basting with butter and drippings.
While the hens are baking, slowly cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon from pan, crumble and set aside. Cook onions in bacon fat until soft. Mix flour, curry and salt together; add mixture to pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add sugar, juices and crumbled bacon and cook over low heat until thickened. Set aside.
Mix stuffing ingredients. Remove hens from oven when ready; discard butter and drippings and fill with stuffing. Put back into baking dish, cover with sauce, and bake at 375 F for 10-15 minutes.
Serves 6
(Note from chef: I use olive oil instead of butter and achieve optimum results.)

BUTTER TART MUFFINS

1-1/2 cups raisins
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup maple syrup (more is better)

Place raisins, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in double boiler and stir over medium heat until thickened (5-10 min.). Cool. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in raisin mixture and blend. Grease muffin tins (or use muffin papers). Bake at 350F for 15-17 minutes. Drizzle maple syrup over each muffin while still warm.

RICOTTA CAKE
(Italian-Style Cheesecake)

- Butter a 10 inch spring-form pan
- Dust if with flour, fine crumbs or ground almonds
- Preheat Oven to 375F

4 large eggs, separated
2 lb. (4 cups) ricotta cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
dash of salt (optional)
1/2 tsp. each of orange and lemon rind

Beat egg whites until stiff. Without cleaning beaters, beat together (in a separate bowl) the ricotta, egg yolks, sugar and flour. Beat well. Stir in extracts, salt and rinds. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites. Transfer to spring-form pan. Bake 50 min. at 375F. Turn the oven off, open the door and leave the cake in there another 15 min. Cool completely before serving. Best if served chilled.

ENJOY!!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

O.K. Gary, you've thrown down the gauntlet!!! Here's The Best Pimento Cheese ever which MY mother made when we were little growing up in NC!

Homemade - Best Pimento Cheese
8 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese
1 4-ounce jar chopped pimento (more if I made it)
1/3 Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (more if Daddy made it!)

Grate cheese and let stand at room temperature for an hour.

Add pimento and juice, mash into cheese with a fork (leave lumps of pimento). Add Miracle Whip Salad dressing and a pinch of salt. Stir into cheese mix with same fork!

Hide in the refridgerator at least one hour before serving, or however long it is before they find out you made it! This was always our after-church-and Sunday school-snack, now being made by the 5th generation! My great grandaughter makes it, and she was born in FL (grin), bless her heart!
Pati

southeast, NE

Oh what memories. I remember mom making the bologna salad. I also remember my mom used to make a cheese recipe that she put between those little tiny party rye bread loaves. My mother-in-law put together a little cookbook for each of her children and grandchildren. It is absolutely wonderful and she even included comments to each grandchildren like "Julia, I know you don't like this but it was your dad's favorite recipe".

Louisville, KY

Pati, "Bless your pea picking heart!" Seems like my mama and your mama had the same idea but used a different dressing. LOL Love you so much!

Jewel, What a great "family treasure!" Last Christmas I made my grandbabies a book -- Papa Gary's Soup. When I have time to spend with them me make/cook something; they love soup and each one can do their part in helping no matter the age.
Gary/Louisville

Ceedub, I'm passing along your ROTINI NAPOLITANO to my daughter. It seems to have all the ingredients that she really loves. Her husband eats so much chicken it's a wonder he doesn't crow, so she's always looking for new ways to fix it.

"Bless your pea picking heart!" You really touched a memory with that one! To hear Tennessee Ernie sing "Precious Memories" or "Amazing Grace" is worth a month of Sundays in church!
Pati

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Great Pati, its really good, even kids love it (when they don't know what the "green stuff" is)... I sometimes top it with shredded mozarella just before its done, for the extra calories I don't need ...

No, no Ceedub, you don't understand. When you mix in something truly healthy, like the spinich, the calories DON'T COUNT! LOL
Pati

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Oh, silly me!! LOL I plumb forgot about all those "dieters rules", like "if you only eat a broken cookie it doesn't count", etc., etc. Thanks for clearing that up Pati!!

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

My grandmother always made divinity for the holidays, she passed on about 12 years ago and during the first holiday I asked my mom if she'd be making the divinity, she said "no, that was something momma did". My mom died almost 3 years ago now, and this forum reminded me of that recipe. I just went in and went through moms recipe cards and found one written out by my mom, I figure it's must be grandma's. I've never made it, but I can taste it melting in my mouth now.
Grand Old Divinity
Combine:
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 c white Karo
Plus have 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Cook over high heat until mixure boils, then turn heat low. Continue cooking until mixture reaches 240 degrees. Slowly pour 1/3 of this mixture over the egg white, beating constantly. Cook remaining syrup to 265 degrees, gradually adding syrup to the candy mixture. Beat until mixture will hold its shape when dropped from a spoon.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cups of nuts. Drop on greased baking sheet.
Makes 4 dozen

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I've never made Divinity but love it. Store-bought isn't the same! I'll try your recipe, SacValley, come the Holidays. Thanks.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Great thread!

Hmm. . . . . . . have to think if I have something to contribute.

Nobody posted good old fashioned Mac and Cheese. Hard to come by these days.

Louisville, KY

This site will take you back to Great Grandma's House and some Home Cooking. You are certain to find a dish here that will trigger your "taste" memories of long ago. Enjoy!
Gary/Louisville

http://www.freerecipe.org/index.html

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Excellent Thread!!!! There is nothing like old-fashioned home cooking, remembered from the past! Never mind arranging food on the plate as presentation art! (As some of those TV cooking shows tout). If I want a lesson in "art" I will enroll in an art class. When I am hungry....give me a plate with some good old "homey" comfort food. Not something arranged on a plate to look like a Picasso painting!!! Recipes remembered from childhood days, from Mom's or Grandmom's kitchens, are the best.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank youor this thread! Keeping old traditions alive is one of my musts.

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, mac and cheese made with velveeta, doesn't get any better. And toasted cheese sandwiches w/velveeta. I don't care that it's not really a food, (there's something wrong w/a dairy item not refrigerated) it's still a wonderful Comfort Food.
Comfort Food: Biscuits and sausage gravy. Oh MY.

Louisville, KY

Here is a good recipe for Sausage Gravy. You provide the Buttermilk Biscuits. LOL
Gary/Louisville

Sausage Gravy
1 pound of good sausage(I like Jimmy Dean)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
salt & pepper to taste
Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour until well mixed and begins to color. Gradually stir in milk. Cook until thick and bubbly. Season with salt & pepper.
Serve over hot biscuits.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

In the day of the microwave, a lot of folks, I am afraid never know what good home cooking taste like. Thanks for the thread. I plan on copying a few to try.
My Mom is 78 and still cooks the old fashion way. :)
Teresa

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

The gravy is just how I like it; with all the pan drippings and crunches. One thing about todays cooking that I find is that some of the package stuff is really pretty good. Yesterday I made soup from a package of Bear Creek Potato mix, wasn't bad at all on it's own. Even better with a real potato and large pat of butter added to it.
I like to cook and learned the "from scratch" method; but now mom's don't take the time to teach and girls don't take to time to learn on their own. (Always the exception)! Both my boys do most of the cooking in their homes, they like it and it beats the socks out of eating out.

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

Apple Betty

4 cups sliced tart apples
1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste
Mix together place in a 9x9 buttered baking dish.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Blend together until mealy; sprinkle over apples.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 350

Yum, Sac. One of my favorites!

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

From someone who attempts to make divinity every year? Pick an absolutely dry day! If you try to make it when the humidity is high you are going to eat it with a spoon!

I make a version of it called Sea Foam, with brown sugar and a touch of vinegar.

Recipe?

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I tried the McCall's meatloaf last night, doubled all the spices except the thyme, switched the chili sauce for catsup. It is a definite keeper!! Thank you for posting it, VGMKY!

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Darius, I have a killer home made mac and cheese from scratch, would you like it? Very rich, old fashioned and hearty. There is another somewhere on this forum, too. I am going to try that one as well. Too many recipes, not enough time.

Bethany, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you all the great recipes. The Wife and I are now role reversed, I am retired (Navy); she, a 1st year h.school teacher. We have 2dau's still home and they (especially) and this "Mr. Mom" really appreciate the help!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

why purchase a cookbook when you have this site?

Wauconda, IL

Macaroni & Cheese

1 box of macaroni

1/2 box of Velveeta

1/2 cup milk

Cook the noodles al dente. Cut the velveeta into small cubes. Add to pot with noodles on low heat. Add milk. keep stirring! Yum! You can add veggies to this, too..like broccoli, and/or carrots, and/or cauliflower, or peas, corn or all of the above. You can add bacon. Or chicken! Dijon mustard! But Velveeta is what makes melty cheese things....melty cheese things! I really love a nice 4 year old sharp cheddar...but Velveeta rocks my world, too! April

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

ladyannne....I'd love to see your mac and cheese recipe :) Kathy

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I found this old teacher's edition 'Household Science and Arts' in my MIL's stuff. It was written in 1912-13 by Josephine Morris, Director of Household Science and Arts in the Boston Public Schools. It is quite interesting!

The first year lessons include: Dust, Refrigerator, Removing Stains, Combustion, Kerosene Lamps, The Kitchen Fire, The Table, Dish Washing, Silver Polishing, Care of the Sink and Garbage, Abbrev. and Measurements, Food, Water, Beverages, Fruit, Vegetables, Starch, Cereals, Composition of Foods, Milk, Cream Soups, Butter, Cheese and Eggs.

The second year lessons are:`Meat, Gelatin, Fish, Fats and Oils, Bread, Baking Powder, Cake, Steamed Doughs and Batters, Pastry, Salads, Invalid Cookery, Sandwiches, Composition and Cost of Menus, Frozen Desserts, Preserving Foods, Jellies, Sugar, Candy Making, Digestive Processes, Home Nursing, Household Sanitation, Care of Bedrooms, Laundering, Household Accounts, House Furnishing, Box or School Luncheons, Menus, Camp Cookery, The Home Maker's Duty to Herself, School Gardens and Home Recipes.

I think 'times' have changed a bit?? Here's a bit on gelatin...

Thumbnail by kooger
Louisville, KY

Macaroni and Cheese

3 cups milk, regular or 2%
1 small onion, quartered
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions, drained
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 tablespoons flour
1 pound Cheddar cheese, 4 cups shredded
Salt and Tabasco, to taste
Pour the milk into a non-reactive saucepan. Add the onion, bay leaf, parsley, oregano and peppercorns. Heat until scalded. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 30 minutes.

Strain milk, return to pan and reheat to scalding.

In a heavy medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter or margarine.

Stir in the flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes without browning.

Pour in the hot milk. Whisk until mixture bubbles and thickens.

Remove from heat and stir in 3 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted.

Season the cheese sauce with salt and Tabasco.

Fold in the cooked macaroni.

Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Top with remaining cup of cheese.

Bake in the center of a preheated 350º oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Serve immediately, eight servings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.