Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have lots of odds and ends. Dogwood, Rose of Sharon, ect. I also like the newer stuff. 50s and 60s. Gene Florence reference books are also very helpful for ID.Earlier in the week, I picked up a Willow ware platter this week for $3.00 at the flea market!
Teresa

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't really collect it, but I am amasing a bunch. I've been buying & selling for number of years, so have a lot around. I have a 12 place setting of amber Madrid. I like the pink things the most.
A couple of weeks ago we had a community auction. I got a bunch of pink pieces for little money.
I have some pieces that are valued well over $100 each.
I also like the painted plates, old Bavarian & German are my favorites.
My wife collects cat things. She has over 400 items, figurines, paintings, prints, pillows, even Beany cats!
Also likes Indian things.
Bernie

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

The amber Madrid is a nice pattern. I do not have any amber but I do have a single clear creamer from my Grandmother. I collect Sugar and Creamers too. The Barvarian plates and bowls are beautiful.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I collect depression glass. I have more of the green Princess pattern. I have a few odd pieces in green also, like mixing bowls, measuring cups, platters, berry bowls. Love it!!!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

You know, I have been seeing my green Pyrex mixing bowl set in the antique shops. I love the pouring spout. I guess I should put them up and buy something to use for everyday. I have an odd ball blue Fireking m. bowl.and the large mixing bowl of a set that is Aqua. It has an Amish scene on it. Anyone need these? I will trade for FLOWERS :)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a berry bucket, does that count, hemlady? It is green graniteware.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

If anyone wants to buy any Miss America pattern - I know someone that's looking to sell.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Mbock, what is your first name? I will check with a friend and see if she needs any items. She is collecting Miss America.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have not seen a berry bucket. Can you post a pic of it bluegrass?

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Bluegrass425 - It's Marcia. My mother-in-law has a collection and us girls have decided we don't want it when she goes - so she's looking to sell it. Don't have any idea what the pieces are or what she wants for them. However, I know she has some things that aren't easy to find.

Let me know.

M.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

I collect American Sweetheart in the pink color and I have a few pieces in the clear.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I just purchased a compote in the Paneled Forget Me Not pattern which I just love. I hope it will not be a difficult pattern to find. I've never tried ebay as it seems a bit daunting to me.

I also collect Lladro Christmas plates. That series ran for just a specified time, like maybe 10 or 12 years? I have maybe 6 of them so far.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hemlady, you can go to www.tias.com. Put in green graniteware berry bucket.

If it has sold. One has been on Ebay also. The auction was closing soon.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2004 12:02 AM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got a set of pink Adam and a set of green Adam that I've been putting together for over 30 years.Got most of the pieces to both, except for the rare green butter dish, etc...

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I would love to see those sometime. I only have bit and pieces. I have not been seriously collecting long.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I use mine on special occasions. Set the dining table with my best cutwork tablecloth , use gold ribbon napkin rings and tie gold bows at the base of my tumblers, gold candlesticks and gold silk flowers in the vases.

Makes for a stunning pastel Christmas table.

After the meal, I hand wash with bath towels in the bottoms of my sinks.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I use my depression glass on holidays only. I am too afraid of breaking it. It is fragile. I get kind of scared every Thanksgiving when I put hot veggies in the serving bowls. I know the glass is not tempered and anything too hot will crack it. I haven't been collecting as long as you Melody. Been about 3 or 4 years for me and I still am missing several pieces of the Princess pattern. I do have a butter dish, but it is in the Georgian Love Birds pattern. I started also to pick up a few pieces of Jadeite. That is a stronger glass because it is ovenwear. I'm not sure if it is microwaveable.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have a pink butter dish with lid...just no green one. Got both the pink AND green sugars WITH lids...the green lid is very rare. Got pink candlesticks, no green ones. Got green vase, no pink one....and so it goes....I have 16 plates of each color...the regular and the grill...got sherbets and dessert plates...salts and peppers, veggie bowls and cake plates, pickle dishes, pitchers and tumblers.

I can feed an army on Depression Glass, but I'm like hemlady...I use it, but only on special occasions...but it's my 'good' china...I only have everyday stoneware and this....If I'm doing something really special, it's on my Depression Glass.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had a lady stop in one time, I had a plate, berry dish, cup & saucer, as a place setting. (Sorry I don't remember the patten or color.) Anyhow she belonged to a bridge club and she bought that setting to make 4. Each was a different color & pattern. That is what she used to serve lunch to her bridge club. I thought it was kind of neat idea!
Bernie

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Melody, where did you find so much? I rarely see the grilled plates anymore.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've been doing this one piece at a time for over 30 years....most was done more than 20 years ago....haven't bought much since then...just a piece here and there. I rarely see Adam any more, it's just not out there like it was.

It's odd that you never see the grill plates....figured they would hold up better over their thinner siblings.I've not seen either kind in ages though.

Is the Depression Glass Daze still being published? I used to have a subscription many moons ago. That's where my hard to find green sugar lid came from.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I use Gene Florence books mostly. I am like a kid, I love to look at all the colored pictures. He has a website of his own. Collector Books in Paducah stock his ID books too. I found one at the flea market on Kitchen Glassware. It is pretty neat.
Glass knives, rolling pins, salt and pepper shaker, ect.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The Daze will give a monthly overview of prices asked, just by what is being offered. I found my green sugar lid in Ohio. It really helps to complete a set....of course, that was before e-bay was even a glint in the eye of it's creator....it may not even be published anymore.

Gene Florence is the High Guru of anything glass....he's sort of like George Gruhn and Martin Guitars....they know more on their subject than we'll ever hope to....got several of Gene's books myself.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I use Gene Florence books too. I love looking at all the pictures.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

What amazes me is all of the rare and 'one of' stuff that seems to find it's way to him....why can't I run across an American Sweetheart lampshade??????

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I collect the pattern, "Manhattan"............this form was only in production for two years, so Anchor Hocking says! I love the ribbed rings on it......E

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Manhatten is a great pattern...and I know what you mean about production years...Adam was produced from 1932 to 1934 only...makes it hard.

Glendale, AZ

Melody - The Daze is long gone. The daughter didn't do as good a job with it as her mother did - but Ebay helped to kill it too, like it is killing the shows.
I have 17 different patterns of Depression in various stages of completion - but my pride and joy is the pink Adam/Sierra butter lid which makes my pink Sierra set complete. Another favorite is green Cameo. I still need a lot of the expensive pieces in that set. Most people use Mauzy's Depression Glass books today instead of Florence's. My wife collects several elegant patterns of Fostoria and Cambridge. So our house is full of glass. Harold

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

There is several that I would like to start collecting. Does anyone know if Dancing Girl has been reproduced? I also like Iris and Lovebirds.

Glendale, AZ

Does anyone know if Dancing Girl has been reproduced?>> (Cameo) Only the salt & pepper and the glass is too thick and the green is too dark. There are small children's play dishes newly made but these are not strickly reproductions since smaller sizes were never made. Harold

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if Cameo was the same pattern. I think it is sometimes called Ballerina too.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cameo, Dancing Girl & Ballerina; one in the same. The only reproductions are shakers, which are poorly done & terrible colors. Childs dishes are being produced, but they were never made origionly.
Bernie

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi there, I collect American Sweetheart-all white Monax. My grandmother left me a set of 6 and I have been adding to it for years. If anyone has any of the unusual pieces I am interested. My one daughter has started collecting Manhattan and the other one collects the crystal sandwich. BTW I have two sets of Salt and Pepper shakers so if anyone is interested in one set let me know.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 8:43 PM

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

If anyone has extra pieces of the pink Rose of Sharon or Cabbage Rose LMK. Christmas is coming and that is Mom's pattern.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

MsM. do have trouble finding many pieces of the Monax? I really like it, but I do not see much of it.
Teresa

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Teresa, Monax is a bit hard to find. Most of the pieces that I have collected were found at the Antique show that Spencer's has in Louisville, KY on the New Years weekend. I love the transparency of the pieces and even though they look quite delicate they are just as durable as the pink and greens. Another thing I like about collecting it is that it has never been repoduced. So when I find a piece I don't worry that it is not authentic. My kitchen is country and they make a nice backdrop for some of my more colorful china.

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I have a collection of the Open Lace ore Old Colony as it is sometimes called. the only thing I do not have in the collection is the glasses and the cups. I use the Queen Mary cups and glasses with my set. I only use mine at Thanksgiving and wash them by hand. I don't have to worry about these being reproduced because they are so deligate with the laced edges.
I have collected them for about ten years now but I have so many now that I just don't bother anymore and they are so expensive.
I kind of wished I had started collecting a green pattern because they go with so much other dishes. I just like all the depression glass though. I love all the different patterns.
Sami

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sami, I am sure that makes a lovely table. I have admired it for a long time. I only recently started collecting tableware and it is expensive. Have a Happy Thanksgiving this year.

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Thank you bluegrass425 and you have a Happy Thanksgiving too.

Sami

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I think I will use my American Sweetheart this year for dinner, (minus the salt and pepper and sugar bowl lid) If you don't use them they will just sit there forever till ya die and someone else will use them. LOL. I will post a picture of the table setting on the day after Thanksgiving.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images