how to cut it "longer"?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have cut my fabric for one of my round end tablecloths . I added 2" for hem/seam, I thought, but with the 2 halves sewn together it it just the right length w/out a hem. This particular one I have planned on putting fringe on bottom. So,what to do? put bias/seam tape on? w/ fringe the bottom of the tablecloth can be a bit short and the fringe will correct that by hanging that 1/2 or so longer?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm no seamstress - I'm having trouble visualizing what you're saying. Are you asking if you could avoid hemming it and just add a border of fringe around it with seam tape? I wouldn't see why not; could you cut a little bit off with pinking shears first so the fabric won't ravel?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

gardenwife, w/ the unfinished (no hem) edges the tablecloth was exactly the length I wanted. I knew if if added a hem, even using wide tape as an extender, it would be a wee bit short. So what I did was get some fringe and sew it on letting 1/2 " hang below the hem (using wide hem tape) making it as long as I wanted it. I was just nervous about how I was going to pull this off successfully.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

How'd it come out? Can you post a picture? It sounds pretty! :) I have a 30x48" kitchen table and will probably be buying some neat fabric and making a tablecloth. I'll do the iron-on tape for the seams. ;)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

gardenwife, the tablecloth and the fringe turned out OK. However, I purchased only 1/2 the amount of fringe I needed so will have to make a fringe run to the Mill End store in Portland where I purchased this stuff for $1.90 yard and I see it retail other places for 6-7x that. I am now making a tablecloth for our dining room table that needs a cloth when the "homemade" leaf is in. This time of year on till Jan we have soooo many birthdays etc that I just keep the leaf in. 98 x 68 is lots of sewing. Next time I am taking the fabric over to my sister in laws w/ her serger.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Aren't sergers wonderful?

My dining table is a 110 year old walnut conference table with fluted column pedestals for support... and as such, ready-made tablecloths do not fit.

Before my mother (a dressmaker) was disabled with a stroke, she made several table coverings for it... and hated working with the length (96" x 42" tabletop).

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

darius, the tablecloth that I wanted to cut longer is just an old ugly round side table in my living room. However, my dining tablecloth is finished, 64 x 106 hemmed, and the next one will be serged; my sister in laws "toys" are a serger and an embroidering machine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.