SOLVED: Hurricane blew pot and all into my yard...what is it?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I have no idea who this belongs to or what it is. I found it pot and all under a large pile of debris. Not much was growing then, but I just put it aside and when I started cleaning out that area here it was blooming its little heart out....what is it? I'm naming in Charley!

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

It's the neighbor's, LOL.
The blooms look like Four O'clocks, but I think the leaves are too narrow for that.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What an awesome way to aquire a new plant! I have no idea what it is though, reminds me of morning glories.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

looks like some kind of a morning glory to me too

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Me too...can you get a better close up of the flowers?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhh .. the accidental tourist !! ... hee

I've not a clue either .. but, yep .. no doubt, that a closer shot of 'Charley' may
could reveal more of his attributes .. to better enable, and perhaps hasten his ID.

Too sweet a lil tale .. DaleP6
And an even sweeter lookin' lil hurricane victim to give sanctuary and a home to! hee

- Magpye

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll get a close-up tomorrow. It wants to climb. It's leaves are pretty tough, unlike morning glories I've grown.
CaptMicha...I'd prefer to BUY a plant than have it blow in at 80MPH! It was very scary, especially when you have your hurricane shutters up and can't really see out...the noises are just unbelieveable! Not to mention your imagination!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I have an x-wife somewhere in Sarasota at least that is where she was the last I heard from her, can't help with the plant id though. Good luck

Henderson, IA(Zone 5a)

Nice plant!! - the flowers do look like morning glories- but all the morning
glories I grow have heart shaped leaves
I'll be watching for the close-up too
Now you have me hooked! Good luck on the ID--
Jeanette

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

It really reminds me of the Ipomoea pes-caprae
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/808/index.html
Whatever it is, sorry you had to go thru what you did to acquire it, but it has a nice new home with you now ;)
~Laurrie

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I am thinking it is a Nicotiana... especially the leaf form. Is this a possibilty? They flower endlessly!
I remember a hurricane when I was little - & the noises were indeed terrifying! We all stayed up, huddled together in blankets all night. I bet I would do the same thing if we had one today. It sounds like the earth is shattering around you! We always kept a window open a tad, in case there was a tornado. It was supposed to help prevent it from taking the house up & away. It made the sounds even louder.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

It is definitely not a Ipomoea pes-caprae or Railroad vine as I have them growing wild. They are much larger and the leaves are pulpier (if there is such a word)

They now say to definitely NOT open a window to release pressure in tornadoes, but to do the opposite and try to seal everything up as the wind gets in, wreaks havoc with the pressure and blows the roof up and off! Live and learn I guess. I know for certain that I don't want to live through another hurricane season like this one. It was like clockwork...every weekend another hurricane threat.

Here's the new close-up

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Dalep6, Whatever it is, I like it, I hope it makes some seed to. (for me) LOL

Limerick, PA(Zone 6b)

It's a windfall! I never got to use that word literally before.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2004 7:43 AM

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I'm still thinking Nicotiana... the flowers are so dainty! What a nice surprise, after such a terrible ordeal. Mother Nature gave you beauty to help heal, perhaps! (Or maybe just a forgetful neighbor!)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ewald -
Ref: .. 'windfall' .. (hee)

Also, brings to mind a particular song title and line .. but, it may be considered unkind, by some .. after everything that so many of you have gone thru ... with the hurricanes, etc. However, my reasons for referring to this song .. is only because of the nature of how it came to you, and your now, needing its ID ..
" The answer, my friend, is lying in the wind " .. recorded by Peter, Paul & Mary -?-

DaleP6 .. Do you contemplate making a move elsewhere? If so, my very best and most sincere wishes to you and yours .. in any endeavors you pursue, to relocate.

- Magpye

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I plan on staying right where I am! 35 years in my little house by the side of the road on my dearly beloved island. This plant just won't stop! It was so pitiful when I dug it out from under all the debris. Our weather the past few weeks has been postcard perfect...almost like an apology for all the terror of the past months. There is so much damage to still be cleared...mainly in the middle of the state...that it will literally be years before it is all done. I passed by a piece of ground that had piles of limbs about 8' high, 50' x 50' covered. Unless you see it you just woldn't believe it. And the biggest problem is that it is statewide, not localized. I had scheduled a tree trimmer just before the first storm, Charley. That was 3 months ago. He is still working on hurricane clean up for the state! And it's almost impossible to get an adjuster let alone a company to do any work! We here on my island fared better than most thank God. So my "windfall" Charley remains unidentified...I will enjoy him knowing who he is or not...the plant that came to dinner!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Truly sorry .. DaleP6 .. Guess I perhaps misunderstood your statement ..

Ref: " I know for certain that I don't want to live through another hurricane season like this one."

Guess you were jes 'figuratively' speakin', 'ey?!

- Magpye

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Je' hoping for better luck next year Mags.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

looks like a Polygonum species...

do the leaves connect to the main stem with a lil sheaf over them?
are those nodes as close as they seem?

dp

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

The flowers are totally wrong for a Polygonum species...

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It looks like this ipomea from Kartuz nursery http://www.kartuz.com/f/r/ipomea-sp.jpg He describes it as similar to Ipomoea horsfalliae but leaves are heart shaped and not lobed like the true I. horsfalliae. I had one for a while... the leaves are narrow like yours.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I had found several photos of Ipomoea horsfalliae whose blooms resemble your plant yesterday, but all of them showed palmate leaves with 3 to 5 lobes and appeared to larger than the leaves on your plant.

http://www.exot-nutz-zier.de/images/prod_images/Ipomoea_horsfalliae.jpg

http://www.rareflora.com/ipomoeahor.html

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

ohh I know the flowers don't match....
just a shot in the dark really.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Maybe someone who lost their pink-flowering plant during the hurricane will join DG and see this thread, and identify it for us!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

No problem, Mags!

Does this help? It grows out of almost a bulbous looking root...I'll try to get a photo of the base tomorrow and post it. We've come this far, we can't quit now...can we??? LOL The links above do look like the flowers but not the leaves.....tomorrow is another day!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

DaleP6 (whew ) ..

Mercee goodness, no .. can't none of (yall) quit ..

I'm now .. most curious to see what you guys come up with .. for it's ID !!

Mitey purtee lil thing !!

(thanx again, for the 'pardon')

- Magpye

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a photo of the bulbous base of stem. Think I should repost the photos to get some "new blood" looking at it?

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

almost like a turnip sticking shoulders outta the ground.
That should be a good clue for those id mavins.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

'Charley' sure does seem to fit the bill more, as a member of the morning glory family tho'.

The root-type indicates that the plant has had to 'fight' to stay anchored, hence evolving such
a bulbous root base .. such as what would certainly be needed on/near the beach.

I found some morning glory wildflowers that are found here in Arkansas, in a lil book of
mine .. that have some most similar leaves .. (the narrow unlobed elongated 'heart' shape).

Your lil ditty there .. may have been in a pot, for any number of reasons.
And, here again .. someone else jes may have/had been 'toyin' with it.

The Plants Database here on DG .. is indeed, extensive .. And granted, I'm no
authority in any miniscule of forms, mindja .. but, it is merely the tip of the iceberg.

- Magpye

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I was going to agree that the plant was most likely I. horsfalliae, until my MG expert gave me the name Ipomoea microdactyla. I think it may be it! Here's some photos--the right leaves, flowers, everything! :-))

Common names: BEJUCO COLORADO; WILD-POTATO MORNING-GLORY; MAN-IN-THE-GROUND

http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/plantimage/Ipomoea_microdactyla.jpg
http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/plantimage/Ipomoea_microdactyla2.jpg

This plant is listed on Florida's endangered plant species list. Looks like Charley was trying to make it up to ya!

This message was edited Oct 28, 2004 12:05 AM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Editing to say -- Ha! Blooms e-mailed me to "get to work" on the hurricane unknown, and while I was researching it, QueenB came up with the same conclusion, Ipomoea microdactyla, and even one of my links! The one USF pic looks much greener in the leaf, but Ipomoea's tend to be pretty variable, not to mention the stress of being relocated by a hurricane!

http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/images.asp?plantID=2233#
http://www.regionalconservation.org/beta/nfyn/plantdetail.asp?tx=Ipommicr

The "wild potato" name suggested a tuberous root as you have observed.

Note that this species ONLY occurs in southern Florida (where it is classed as endangered), V.I., maybe Puerto Rico/Cuba... VERY far from my experience! That is why I held off plunging into the fray, plus I thought you'all were on the right track last I had checked on the progress! (That was before the 'root' pic.)

I was going to suggest you >>contact: Dr. Richard Wunderlin or Dr. Bruce Hansen
as per the USF page, or write to The Institute for Regional Conservation, but with two of us reaching the same conclusion, not to mention QueenB's MG expert -- I am feeling more confident of ID. Looks like someone was planning to try to re-establish a plot of this at-risk Florida native! Now, *you* can!

~'spin!~

This message was edited Oct 28, 2004 12:09 AM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yay! 'Spin's back from New Zealand.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, and my body still thinks it's four hours earlier (or rather 20 hours later)! It's after midnight, here, and I have been researching this morning glory for TWO HOURS. Glad you're happy! Must go to bed now, try to reset the body clock!
~'spin!~

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Not just the variance of the 'greens' and the associated stress that the plant has obviously undergone ..

But, the leaves!! ..
Take another wee good longer look at the few yellowed leaves lying on the ground .. in the .. Ref: photo of the bulbous base of stem ...

Sure seems that it'd definitely be in the same 'family'. The leaves seem much more rounded on the tip end, and more 'vague' .. (if any, 'real') heart shape.

- Magpye

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

We are definitely getting closer, and I think Queen B's second link is the closest,,,because the buds are elongated like in that photo...not like a "berry" as described in some of the close references I've found. It seems now that it is growing, it may not want to climb, although it wraps around itself. I am keeping it "unraveled" at the moment. The leaves are almost like large sage shaped leaves without the fuzz. I am going to take some more photos today and post them tonight.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Good! .. about posting some more pics!!
That'd surely give additional aid ...

- Magpye

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I purchased an Ipomoea Platense the other day - it also has the bulbous base. It changes with moisture conditions - so it apprears to have 2 kinds of leaves! Mine has the 5 lobed at this time...

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a better shot of leaves...

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

The flowers sort of cluster together and are quite long...about 2-3"

Thumbnail by DaleP6

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.