SOLVED: mystery flower

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

You know, before bootandall posted the hot lead, I was ready to ask you if there wasn't a university or maybe a good nurseryman/place that you could ask locally!

Let us all know what answer from there is! One of the species in Zimbabwe has a 'fruit' that takes two years to ripen! (Don't know if it is is edible, read that fruit of R.annae is not.)

Yes, this one was a lesson even for us hard-core I.D. nuts! Maybe, especially for us...
~'spin!~

"I will tell you, Baa, the similarity of this FLOWER to my garden gardenia was *lost* on me... altho' the *leaves* did sway me to focus my (unsuccessful) search on the Rubiaceae"

Spin, are you saying you didn't trust Baa? j/k *G* A friend pointed out the great likeness to Gardenia reproductive parts to me and I thought, oh great Rubiaceae :(, it's my ID nemesis family.

I don't have the time at present for this forum but I've kept up with this one as it's a stunning flower Portharcourt, may it continue to bloom for many years to come.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm not so sure about the ID yet. I had extensively researched the Rothmannias a few days ago and thought that the leaves, growth habits and size of blooms do not match the unidentified plant. Upon a preliminary reexamination, I still have my doubts. But, I have been wrong many a time before. Portharcourt, the blooms of the Rothmannias are described as being very fragrant. Were the blooms on your plant fragrant?

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

There was only a slight scent, vaguely gardenia-ish, but very faint

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

I also found the web site of the Cercopan research place in Nigeria http://www.cercopan.org/flora.htm in which they list
Rothmannia lugae
Rothmannia octomera
Rothmannia hispida
Rothmannia talbotii
and I've been trying to find a picture of these to see if they match

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

No, no, I didn't doubt Baa!!

I said, I searched primarily Rubiaceae -- I just never thought of gardenia myself! I guess I never inspected the "reproductive parts" (of gardenia), and I was focused on the connate (attached to selves) petals and funnel-form shape, as well as the adnate (attached to others/petals) anthers.

The site of Museums of Cape Town says FORTY species of Rothmannia, instead of the 20 I cited above! Go for it, PortHarcourt!
http://www.museums.org.za/bio/plants/rubiaceae/

Their pic of R.capensis is 'crisper' than the one I linked to in my long message, and shows more/darker speckles -- also the style/stigma is conspicuous, although not showing the particular 'head' of our baby's. That feature may be the diagnostic one for us!

The Tree Society of Zimbabwe mentions for at least all three of the Rothmannia species they found in May 2002 -- a characteristic 'anomaly', that while leaves are in general OPPOSITE (pairs) there will be an extra/third leaf appended particularly where the stalk/trunk branches... I can talk myself into seeing at least possible examples of this feature in the habit pic PH posted... Can you confirm?

Ha-ha on me, I had actually visited your Cercopan site in my search, however there were SO MANY Rubiaceae and SO FEW images linked to, I moved on too soon!

~'spin!~

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have even been searching at nurseries located in Africa with no luck. I have found other plants besides Rothmannia that have similar blooms and leaves, but none match perfectly. One would think that there would be a photo of this lovely bloom easily located. I have used so many key words in my search that my eyes are blurred and my fingers are tired from typing! :o) A real challenge to say the least.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Those were my thoughts exactly, Hazel -- this flower is SO STRIKING -- I couldn't believe there wasn't an image of a tropical shrub with entire opposite leaves and 6-merous funnelform OR tubular yellow red OR orange connate petals adnate OR embedded introrse stamens OR anthers ... you get it...

YOU, especially, get it!
~'spin!~

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

found this one with a head on the pistil, attached stamens and other similar features http://homepage.univie.ac.at/Christian.Puff/images/Rothmannia_1_web.jpg , this Thai one is a tree not a shrub different no. of petals and bloom shape and I haven't had any fruit, but mine has to be a Rothmannia too, waiting to see what happens when the flower decomposes completely, will check out extra leaf at junctions when it gets light. I'm thinking the chances of finding a pic on the web are very small, Zimbabwe/ S.Africa have a very different climate I doubt if there are any websites devoted to flowering plants in West Africa with photos.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've tried various genuses (genii?) as well as subspecies along with other families also. and the bloom colors: maroon +gold, maroon +yellow, maroon +biege; burgandy+gold, burgandy +yellow, burgandy +biege;red +gold, red +yellow, red +biege in combinations with shrub, tree, fruit, tropical, exotic, rare plants, Nigeria, Africa, South Africa, 6 leaved, 5 leaved, fused petals, embedded stamens, attached stamens and I can't even remember the rest. I sure have seen a lot of neat plants and blooms in my journey.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

(genera)

;)

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

With the name Rothmannia, maybe it was name for the Rothchilds in France? Anyone look there?

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

"Rothmannia was named in honour of Dr Georgius Rothman (1739-1778) by his friend Thunberg. Both were pupils of Linnaeus."
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantqrs/rothmancapen.htm

It strikes me, PH, that if your local source does not have the very species down, a number of the species-lists I encountered seem to have been compiled in joint venture with the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew (London, UK)... perhaps they have a Website and e-mail address, and an interest in sharing knowledge!

~'spin!~

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

I have sent an email & photo to a man at Kew, an auto reply as he is away, but hopefully when he gets back....

Blenheim, New Zealand

HE'S AWAY !!!, when all of us are Waiting. LOL

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Probably gone until after Christmas or even the New Year!

The nerve some people have!

~'spin!~

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Carter, thank you. I just could not think of the plural form yesterday ... duh!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

You're welcome! I'm just enjoying reading this thread! And I've discovered a whole new genus I must acquire, lol.

Northern, IN

There ought to be a Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting on a website because the person who finally ID s this beauty deserves one.

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

No sign of any extra leaf at trunk/stem intersections, leaves look opposite everywhere.

Thumbnail by portharcourt
Port Harcourt, Nigeria

..but I have a new bud, just when I thought it was all over until next year!

Thumbnail by portharcourt
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Great shots ... I am still searching ...

This message was edited Dec 11, 2004 1:01 AM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Still searching ...

Northern, IN

Don't give up, htop. I'm not the only one who has this thread "watched".

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

We're all watching! Mystery lovers! :~D

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Better than a Tony Hillerman!

If nothing else, you're certainly tenacious.

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Just planted lots more cuttings from this plant....still waiting hopefully for someone to recognise it..

Blenheim, New Zealand

Best of luck with your cuttings, because that plant has got to be some thing special.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

When we do find out what this is, we also have to find out where to buy it because after all this searching I have got to have one.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh WOW! that is beautiful, and this is better than a mystery book! I'm wondering and waiting too. Jill

Northern, IN

utop:

Maybe you've tried this. If not, you might check it out, The way I read it, they offer a money back guarantee on the $2.50 attempt to answer any question. One thing I do know - they will lose money if they try to answer yours.

http://answers.google.com/answers/main?sourceid=tipq

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

A reply from the man at Kew re. the photos I emailed to them!

have referred them today to the African Rothmannia King, Prof. Sonke in
Cameroon.

Blenheim, New Zealand

That's great to hear . are we on the way again.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hear! Hear! (or is that Here! Here!)

I was all resolved to waiting until the New Year -- Now we may get a Christmas present (of an identification-down-to-the-species)!

I have a feeling those of us in the States may be envying in vain, especially in California, Texas, Louisiana, and Arizona -- we can't even import R.globosa from Hawaii... 8^(

Holding out hope for seeds... ~'spin!~

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

dwdruley, thanks for the link. I had never seen this before. It might be worth a try!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Haven't given up yet! Still searching .. :o)

Persistance usually counts. Good luck.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

This beautiful plant has to be discussed somewhere on the net or someone out there knows what it is ... :o)

Northern, IN

If you decide to resort to trying the Google Answer Service, put me down as a contributor to the fund we'll need to post the price we're willing to pay for the correct answer. $2.50 won't cut it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.