Devil's Ivy, Golden Pothos, Centipede Tonga-vine (Epipremnum pinnatum)

Houston, TX

Devil's Ivy, Golden Pothos, Centipede Tonga-vine
Epipremnum pinnatum

Philodendron growing in the yard in Houston, with 18" leaves.

Thumbnail by CharlesF
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Charles, this appears to be Devil's Ivy, or Pothos. Here is a link to the DG page for it: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51451/index.html
Heart-leaf philodendrons are not variegated to my knowledge. Evidently, one of the common names for Pothos is heartleaf philodendron, but that is unfortunate, since it is in another genus.
Congrats on growing a fine specimen anyway!
Susan

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Looks more like a variegated Monstera deliciosa (Swisscheese Philodendron) due to the large, oval leaves and thick stem. Golden Pothos, meanwhile, has much smaller leaves and does not have a giant stem like the next photo of the plant shows. Looks A LOT MORE like Monstera deliciosa.

NativePlantFan9
Here's a link to info and photos of Monstera deliciosa. Looks A LOT MORE like Monstera deliciosa (only without the holes) now than Pothos, don't you think?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1204/index.html

This message was edited Jan 5, 2005 10:10 PM

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

No, after researching extensively, I still believe it is Epipremnum pinnatum 'Aureum' (sometimes logged as Epipremnum aureum) . One of my references reports that in Southeast Asia it can reach 60 feet tall, with mature leaves that are up to 36 inches long and 18 inches across. The mature leaves are split and perforated like those of the Monstera deliciosa, while the young ones are usually entire. I have seen this vine growing to a large stem diameter at various public gardens there in Florida. However, I do not have access to the plant itself, so it is difficult to be 100% certain.
But to totally undermine my credibility...I will confess that while researching I found out that there IS a variagated form of Philodendron scandens var oxycardium, called 'Variegatum'. So I will leave this open to debate and see what else I can find out on the internet.
Maybe we should start this discussion over in the ID forum?

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

To Toxicodendron (CharlesF may read this too)
Actually... you're right, it IS Golden Pothos AKA Epipremnum pinnatum "Aureus". I've seen Pothos looking exactly like that. When I viewed this photo of just the leaf, I thought it was Monstera deliciosa, but when I checked the second photo which showed both the leaves and stems, it looks exactly like E. pinnatum (Golden Pothos AKA Devil's Ivy) with the large leaves and golden markings on the leaves in the second photo. Also, you're right... the large stems look exactly the same on a large Golden Pothos (Epipremnum pinnatum "Aureus") vine. Sorry I made a mistake, we don't need to discuss it... at first, I forgot to look at the 2nd photo CharlesF posted after this one and based my info all on this photo, the 1st one, which showed only the leaves.

Thank you very much for making me recheck my answer and find out it was wrong and you were right on it. I'm really sorry!

NativePlantFan9

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

To CharlesF,
Maybe now you will think that Toxicocendron is right. Maybe this will help you figure out the plant's ID.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51451/index.html

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad we got that one straightened out. Now if we could just get the pictures moved, ha. I love a challenge and I do want the pictures to be accurate here at this website because for a lot of folks, this is their main source of info.
Nice talking with you, Nativeplantfan...I love Florida and always look at all the wonderful pics that Floridian posts of the native plants. I have Betrock's guide to FL landscape plants, that is a pretty good book sometimes.
Susan

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

To Toxicocendron,
Thanks! I like Floridian's pictures and comments of native plants too. I am very interested in native plants, plants endemic to Florida, and introduced, non-native plants in Florida. I think native plants should be planted more often in south Florida since they are much better for wildlife than many non-native species, do not use as much water, are attractive and many times do not spread and take over like non-native species. By the way, have you ever heard of MotherNature4? She knows a lot on native plants of Florida. She posted a response to me on Yahoo. She posts good comments on native plants of Florida too. You should check her comments and photos out. You should also check out xyris and TamiMcNally. They both also know a lot about Florida's native plants.

It's in some ways sad that many people come to Florida for a resort vacation, Disney World or theme parks but don't explore the natural habitats and many interesting ecosystems Florida has. Also, it's sad that Florida does not get as much attention as many other states in natural biodiversity.

Please respond!

P.S.: Do you know any good resources for native plant gardening for Florida and where I can get it? Thanks!

NativePlantFan9

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Transferred our conversation to email, Native. You have mail.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I see this photo got moved. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.