Kitchen Cabinet Refacing - Have you done it?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

What was your experience like? Pros and cons?

Our kitchen cabinet doors are particleboard and three of them have ripped right out of their hinges. I had thought I would try to find a similar cabinet door to replace the ones the fell off, but now that we are thinking about selling this place in a few years we decided that we should just invest the $$ now into some nicer cabinet doors. The calls are in to Home Depot and Sears for estimates.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

Weeeeelllllllllllllllllll, first estimate is finished and I am just now picking myself up from the floor. Quote for new hardwood doors, a laminate facing on the existing bases and hardware is...........(drumroll please) just over $7000.00. Our kitchen is roughly 30 square feet.

Looks like I'll learn how to sand and paint the doors we have and try to find some replacements for the broken ones!

I'm sad.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue, do a google search for replacement doors. BIG difference when you can find the door manufacturers. Do your hardware separately, but also on a search.

Sue, I painted my cabinet doors and I think they came out great. Here is a link to one of the photos http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/292494/

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Ladies, :)

Darius - thank-you for that tip. As much as I surf the internet, the thought just never occured to me to search the 'net for doors. I did a search for cabinet replacement doors and cabinet refacing, and boy there are a lot of suppliers out there. Even suppliers that supply all of the items one would need to "do it yourself". I have spent a few hours researching and have narrowed down a few suppliers I will show to DH. Gosh some even offer doors that you can fit glass into. That would be REALLY nice!
So, bottom line, it would be about 20 doors at approx $26 - $36 each, plus shipping, hardware (nice things like hidden hinges and door handles) specialty doors for a corner unit, pull outs, bla bla bla.....we are still talking less than $2000.00 for real hard wood!!!!! But of course, I get to drill and level the doors.................

Elsie- Thank-you! I enjoyed looking at your photos. I'm a penny pincher to the max and I'm still considering ordering just three doors to match the ones I have and sanding/painting the whole she-bang! I have every type of sander you can think of not to mention a nice dremel tool that will get into the corners of my cabinet doors nicely. I know this project will take me about 2 weeks to finish with my current schedule but I can't help but veer towards this option. I'm thinking if we are here another 5 years, then we can replace the cabinet doors then or reduce the price of the house.

So now we are back to square one, deciding what to do. I already cancelled the estimate with Sears. They asked why and I told them the cost of the refacing that Home Depot gave me and she said "Ok , we understand, Have a nice Day!" LOL..........

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue, glad my suggestions were of some help. Two grand is still a LOT better than seven grand! But if you don't take that option now, you will be doing it twice in 5 years...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've seen cabinet doors on ebay for as little as $7 per door. I'm thinking about refacing my cabinets as well. Some sellers on ebay will even make custom-sized doors for as little as $15 per door. Hope this helps.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Scherr's supplies most of the major kitchen mfgs with THEIR doors, and you can buy directly from them.
http://www.scherrs.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.