CLOSED: Aquatic/Water Plants For Goldfish/Koi Ponds

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

By the end of Feb, I will need a good supply of different varieties of Aquatic Plants and would like to work on setting up trades and/or postage payments now.

I think other people will be wanting these also, therefore this thread might be a good place for those "who want" and those "who have" to post. (I will post a reference to this thread on the Water Garden Forum)

Keep in mind that any time you trade or buy plants you take the chance of introducing an unwanted, insect or disease, therefore these plants should be isolated and treated prior to introduction into your pool and/or other plants.

Please post if "you want" or if "you have to share".

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I am reserving this space for my list of wants.

shadowgirl - Thank You, Thank You. Just let me know when.

Judy

This message was edited Jan 29, 2005 1:06 PM

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy,
As soon as it warms I should have some pond plants. Probably frog bit, parrots feather, water iris, lizard tail, and 4-5 kinds of elephant ears. I will also be dividing my lotus and waterlilies.

Loretta

Wants-Tropical waterlily corms, mosiac plant, variegated cattails, water hyacinth,

This message was edited Jan 29, 2005 12:51 PM

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Shawdow girl, what kind of lotus and lilies do you have to trade. I MAY have some things- too early to be sure yet.
I'm looking for lotus or lilies that I dont have.
charlotte

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Please count me in also.

Water ponds won't wake up until May here in Wisc.

Maxine

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Charlotte,
Mrs Perry Slocum and maybe Grand Slam, Momo Botan, and a white. As for waterlilies I need to pull them out and see what is in there. I confess when it comes to labeling the waterlilies I am a failure. But I have quite a few varieties so hopefully the tags are still readable. I have a new 30' x 30' pond we put in last September so I am looking forward to this season.

Loretta

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a variety of stuff too but won't know how much until things come to life here. Right now we are completely white with snow.

I'm sure I will be looking for water hyacinths, lettuce, water moss, etc. I love all those plants that won't over winter here. LOL

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Badseed, we need to find a DGer who lives down south who will give or trade us some starts on the plants you have listed. They are my favorites also.

Judy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Now ya'll know some of those things are illegal down here.
We wouldnt dare have such things ! LOL

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The plants in question, such as are not illegal in the upper states because they die out during the winter.

Judy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Oh absolutely, I understand that.
And I do understand the reason they ARE illegal here - but I still think its silly here in northern SC where they also die out in winter.
I wish Kudzu was illegal now that is becoming a REALLY big problem here.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I have pickerel(Blue-purple flower) and lizard tail(white flower),Horse tail, if anyone is interested in them.
Celeste

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 7:02 PM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

cceamore, I am interested in the Lizard and Horse Tail. I have the pickerel and love it.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy
Well,I can send you both just let me know when it is a good time .My lizard tail puts out bulbs that are floating in my pond and all you got to do is pot them.When I first saw them I thought they were some kind of bug Cocoon and then threw them in the yard and now I have it growing in the yard. I would like to trade and I am interested in named Daylilies or just about anything really just let me know what you want to trade for them.
Celeste

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Celeste,
I just do house plants are you interested in maybe a Horsehead Philodendron, big leaf plant?
http://aoeu.davesgarden.com/forums/t/462016/

Some pretty neat philodendron vine cuttings I'm rooting
http://aoeu.davesgarden.com/forums/t/478887/

Oh I can send you a good helpin' of assorted cannas with the striped leaf
I'll edit to post a thread to those in a minute. I'm afraid this thread will time-out

Judy

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 6:51 PM

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll take the cannas.Please, I have always wanted some of those with the striped leaves.
celeste

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I will be dividing come spring. Have 5 different hardy lily's.
I will need all the floating plants again due to freeze. Hycenth and lettece.
Did not have the lizard, horse tail or the Pinkerel.
What is Kudzu?
30 by 30 pond is big. Thought mine was large but only 1/3 the size of yours. Should have some nice size Koi for it.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kudzu is the vine that is covering the South. I grows a foot a day and at night you have to close your widows or it will cover the kids. Covers up yard-cars, falling down barns and houses.

We really should find a good use for the stuff and make ourselves a million. It takes 12 years to rid your land of it once it gets a footing, or is that suppose to be the roots go down for 12 feet...... oops I just realized I don't know what I'm talking about!!!! lol lol

http://www.naturalsciences.org/conservation/invasives/kudzu.htm

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 7:38 PM

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

What Judy is trying to say is you don't want any Kudzu!!!!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Ya I kind of thought that. LOL

Do you need any Coleus this spring in trade. Got several cuttings that are rooted and will have more.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 8:27 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Celeste I would love a couple of the Lizard tail bulbs when time is right...assuming you have enough. Let me know.

Marc

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

TA rogers
I am sure I will have plenty but I can always send you a plant if that is ok?Yes I will trade for coleus I love coleus.You guys email me and put exactly what you guys want and what you are trading so I will have a record and reminder
and let me know when you want me to send your plants and your addresses.
Thank you,
Celeste

This message was edited Feb 2, 2005 2:05 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Celeste! I too have some coleus babies I can send you. They're plants I grew from seed last Spring.....no named varieties as they all came from a pack marked "mixed'.
Do you prefer greens, or reds?

Marc

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Celeste, I would love some of your pickerel. Do you have a picture of it? I can't over winter things like that here in Wisc. Also any floaters would be most welcome.
I guess anything for the pond would be most welcome. I have 2 ponds and not much in them.
As for trade, what are you interested in? I will have dahlia's later. Only marked by height.

Maxine

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Marc
I love reds and greens,all colors are good to me.

Maxine
I like dahilias that would be fine.I don't have a pic but It has shiny green leaves
and kind of arrow shaped and the flowers are cone shaped clusters on top of stems and are bluish purple.It blooms over and over during the summer.I can send you the pickerl later in the spring because it is dormant right now.
Celeste
Everybody
Who wants to trade with me send a email here at DG so I can keep up with your trade.

Horsetail, I can send anytime it is an evergreen and is good for flower arrangments too and I have it growing in the yard too.

Lizard tail(dormant) I will have to wait at least until the end of feb. to send it because my water is so cold in my pond and I don't want to disturb my fish.

I hope that is OK with everybody,
Celeste

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is the link to the Pickerel Weed

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1239/index.html

It is listed as an invasive in some states so be sure to check to see if it is in your state

Judy

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/479128/

This is the link where you can see the Coleus that I have now and a list of what I am getting.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

TARodgers
Any of them is fine I love coleus.I only really know what one looks like and that is saturn so it doesn't matter to me.I am not hard to please.
Celeste

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I know you are all looking for plants but I have seeds for a pretty water plant for cold areas, invassive and probably illegal in the south. It's :
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1263/index.html
you may wish to start some from seeds now and maybe it'll be ready for your pond by the time it's warm enough to start planting in your pond.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Have-

Fairy Fern, Frogs Bit, (maybe water hyacinth), Duckweed, Muskweed (rooted algae), Various reeds and some aquatic grasses. Should also have a few baby waterlilies. Just bought some seeds off ebay. ;-) Have a few others- forgot the names- they are oxygenation plants. I will also have cattails- seeds and plants.

Want-

Parrots Feather, (anything like parrots feather), Water celery, Any plants for a pond. Especially oxygenating plants. Any edible watergarden plants.

Owed-

shadowgirl- Water Hyacinth, Fairy Fern.

ccea- WaterHyacinth, Fairy Fern, Frogs Bit.

Maxine- Tropical Waterlily.

PerrenialGirl- Tropical Waterlily and Hardy Waterlily.

Receiving-

shadowgirl- Parrots Feather
If lots of Hyacinths come back maybe a couple waterlilies or lotuses.

ccea- Horsetail Reed

Maxine- Small Cattails. (sometime in April).

Have I missed anyone?

This message was edited Feb 22, 2005 7:00 PM

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Crimson I will have lots of Parrot's Feather and would be interested in fairy fern and water hyacinth. For lots of water hyacinth will have lots of different varieties of nameed waterlilies and/or lotus.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohh awesome- if my hyacinths come back you can have several plants!

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

crimsontsavo
I would be interested in your in your water hyacinth and fairy weed and frogs bit.
I have plenty of hore tail so just let me know how much you want.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ccea- mum has wanted this plant for ages- so as much as you can spare, lol. We have a few ponds and it would look great around all of them. Thank you so much! Let's pray my hyacinths come back!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Is lizard tail a reed or a grassy plant? If it's a grassy plant that gets a plumy bloom on it- I should have some of that as well.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Crimsontsavo
No lizard tail has big heart shaped leaves and has a stalk of tiny white flowers.It kind of resembles a tiny moth orchid.I hope that is a good description .It is the best I can do.
Celeste

This message was edited Feb 5, 2005 11:03 AM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

cceamore
Is this the Lizard Tail you are talking about??

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59447/index.html

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

That is not like my lizard tail the leaves look the same but the flower does not look anything like it.I wish I had a picture. Mine is much prettier than that and has several small white flowers on a stalk.It really looks a lot like an tiny moth orchid flowers. There must be sevaral different types with the same common name because I did a search and found a different one than that one.
Celeste

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy
Do you still want some?
Celeste

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Maybe I am misspelled it or left out a letter.My friend Donna whose husband works for TVA and is in charge of wet land maneagement gave it to me so I am sure it is Lizard tail or LIzards tail.I didn't know there was more than one.
Sorry
Celeste

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.