space savers

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure this belongs here but don't see anywhere else for it.
I hope to be moving to a small apt soon. Storage will be at a premium. Does anyone have any ideas or storage tips I can us? What space savers or organizers have U found useful? Thanks for any advice :)
Dar

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

When I lived in a tiny apt many years ago, I had the closet fitted with a shelving/ organization system so that I didn't need a dresser or night table. You can get lamps that clamp onto your headboard. Using a small bookcase beside the bed saves space in the bedroom too, instead of a bulky square night table. The most important part of going smaller is to get rid of big pieces of furniture. Also go through the stuff you need storage for and get rid of as much as you realistically can. You might want to watch TV shows such as "Clean Sweep" to pick up some organization tips too.

Hope that helps some.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

ceedub. where do I find that show? Even though I know it will be a couple of months before I can move I am already TRYING to get rid of some things. I don't want to wait till the last minute. Even if I can't move things will be better after I get done decluttering.

Uncle Sam messed up my social security to no end when I switch from one late husband to the other. They have been working on this since Aug. I should have already been moved. I have to have that straight before I move as this is a low income place affiliated with the church I go to. It is mostly seniors. It is right on the university champus (on the edge)

I have not gone through my DH belongings much but I'm having to do that now. I believe my bedroom furniture will all fit. I do plan on using a twin bed as we had 2 twins pushed together to make a king. If I find that doesn't work I can always get a full size there. I think it will be OK though.

Would it look tacky if I sit a couple of the plastic drawer systems on top of the dresser?
The kitchen will be a problem I'm afraid. I know a lot of things I seldom use will have to go. I have a feeling I won't be cooking much anyway. I can eat in the school cafeteria for $5 & get enough for 2 meals. They will let me put salad in a separate container. If I take it back to my apt to eat I can add the greens & have another meal. I have eaten there once & the food is great. They even have food for the ones trying to lose weight & eat healthy. They also have great desserts LOL
Thanks for the answer & suggestons..
anyone else :-)
Dar

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Clean Sweep is on TLC - here's a link to their web page - http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/cleansweep/cleansweep.html - It's going to be hard for you to go through all that stuff, both work-wise and emotionally. I'd advise doing a little at a time, since you've got some time to spare.

My kitchen has about half the cupboards I need, but the saving grace is that the kitchen is a big room, so I bought two portable pantries from Home Depot. A good solution until I win the lottery and can re-do the kitchen...lol.

Those plastic drawer systems are wonderful, and quite sturdy. If you think they look tacky, just put a nice tablecloth over them when you have company.

Good luck Dar!

Christine

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

If you have space under your bed, there are several brands of flat, plastic containers (with lids) available that will fit nicely. They are good for storing out of season clothing, bed linens, or anything else you don't use every day. (BTW - "Mission: Organization" is another TV show that might give you some ideas. It's on HGTV http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_mso )

I like the show Clean Sweep. One of the things the organizer is always saying is to go up. If you're going to have shelves, make them tall. You can always put seldom used things on the top shelves. This will free up floor space. I'm still trying to organize my spare room - mostly for crafts and seedlings. I put a rubbermaid shelf unit in the closet and put the large plastic bins on the shelves. Before this, the bin I was looking for was always on the bottom. I labeled all of the bins - I just ran off some labels on the computer.

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Great idea elsie! My biggest headache is the garage ... lets not go there though...the car can live with it...lol.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

You put cars "in" garages? What a novel idea. Well, guess I dont need one then. I'll go for a sun porch instead. lol, thinking of you sugar, hope all is well.Sidney

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

LOL Sidney!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.