(Zone 5b)

What if a plant is toxic or highly poisonous if eaten raw or not cooked properly, or if some parts are edible but another part is highly poisonous. Or if a plant is safe to eat in small quantities but toxic if too much is eaten?

I finished entries on one plant like that and I marked it as "Parts of plant are poisonous if ingested" but I wouldn't be surprised if someone reported an error. Either could be correct.

Is there a standard preference for how selections should be made for something like that?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

It's a gray area, but I'd say better safe than sorry. If a plant is toxic in its raw state or if eaten in large quantities, it should be noted as "parts of plant are poisonous if ingested." The reason for the danger checkboxes is to alert a gardener that their young children or pets may need to be watched if these plants are in their landscape.

A comment can be added that explains how a plant's toxicity is reduced or eliminated through food preparation or moderate consumption.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

    You may upload up to 5 images