Gerbera Daisy, Transvaal Daisy, African Daisy, Barberton Daisy (Gerbera jamesoni

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Gerbera Daisy, Transvaal Daisy, African Daisy, Barberton Daisy
Gerbera jamesonii

This gerbera daisy's blooms are a vibrant deep reddish orange.

Thumbnail by htop
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

What a spectacular color! I don't think these would grow outside the greenhouse in my neck of the woods, but I can just see this with some bright blue and a bit of yellow!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The blooms are 3.5 inches or more in diameter and are a truly oustanding color. I am lucky that I can cover them during freezes which usually last only a few hours here. My main problem is finding a spot where they receive a tad of morning sun and then afternoon shade/filtered shade the rest of the time once it starts becoming hot. The red blooming one that I planted last year has bloomed all year and did not die back in the summer. So, I decided to plant this orangey one and a gold colored one near the red one in hopes that they will do well also. I have never been able to grow them successfully inground so these are in tall containers. When I planted them inground before, I think that I planted them too deep ... the crowns rotted. I now plant the crown of the plant slightly above the soil line and slope the dirt away from it. Thank you for your comments.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You are more than welcome, and thank you for the informative response. If you are growing these in containers, could you perhaps move them with the light? That's a lot of work, I know, but they seem well worth it!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The conatainers in which they are growing are too large to move. I have grown a lot of plants in smaller containers and moved them until I found a location in which they were happy. I had the red one in a smaller container which I placed on top of the dirt in the large container for a few months before I planted it in the large one. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.