Toro vs. Honda mowers - thoughts?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

DH and DS are contemplating the merits of self-propelled mid-range priced ($300-$400) lawnmowers, and have pretty much settled on one of these two makes. Any thoughts on one over the other? (Our old, cheap push mower gave up the ghost last fall, and spring is fixin' to spring up on us ;o) Is front-wheel better than rear-wheel drive, or vice-versa?

We don't need a fancy lawnmower (the push mower gets used where the riding mower can't reach), but we've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for with a $100 mower. (Hard to start and lots of headaches ;o)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Terry,
just my .02:

Honda has been making lawnmowers since 1953. They also have a recall going on with one of their mowers : http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/recall_hrb216.pdf

Toro has been making tractor and lawn equipment since 1914.
http://www.thetorocompany.com/companyinfo/history.html
My gut would tell me to go with Toro just for that reason.

side bar: when I was looking for a camera, I went to a camera store. I told the man I purchased a Sony but was not happy with it. His words: "Sony makes great TV's, they were first known for electronics, not cameras. Nikon has always made cameras and that is what they are good at..." The reason for this story could be applied to lawnmowers. Toro has always been in this business. Honda might make great cars and motorbikes but.....

I would go with Toro. That is what most folks in the green industry tend to use down this way. http://www.thetorocompany.com/companyinfo/history.html

Once again, just my .02

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

Honda makes the best small mowers.
Toro is renown to be the 'cheap alternative'
toro may have been in business since 1914, but much like Cub Cadet, Bolens, Etc, they are often bought out by a larger company like MTD who essentially bought the quality name brand.
A fine example is going to Lowes to look at riding mowers, Cub Cadet (owned by MTD) and Husquvarna are shown as the most expensive, highest quality.... Bolens (also owned by MTD) is shown as the lower quality.... In the 70's Bolens were still an independant company and they built solid machinery, much of which is still in use.... Now the Bolens mowers are mostly plastic with inferior motors and cheaply built decks.

so there,
drew

COLUMBIA, TN(Zone 6b)

I HAD A HONDA RIDING MOWER FOR 25 YEARS AND IT WAS STILL GOING WHEN I SOLD IT. IT MOWED ACRES AT A TIME AND DID A GOOD JOB OF IT----

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We have 4 Honda self propelled push mowers at work.
The quality and preformance is excellent.
They are used 5 days a week 5-6 hours a day.
This will be the 3rd season and they're going strong.
Just routione maintance, spark plugs etc.

paul

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

And here I thought y'all would make this easier! *grin*

Another member wrote to me and suggested that I check with some of the local small engine repair shops and see what they recommend based on service of these two respective brands in order to help reach a decision.

I very much appreciate the comments and testimonials for both brands my guess is that we probably won't go wrong with either brand, and it will boil down to a matter of weighing the various options vs. dollars and getting a "feel" for both mowers in order to make a personal opinion.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

I have had a honda for six years and it has out performed all other mowers i've purchased in the past

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

get the one that has the features YOU like. I prefer front wheel driven because you can instantly stop and turn the mower by tilting it slightly on the rear wheels. You might want to look at Lawn Boys while you're at it.

Winchester, TN(Zone 7b)

it sounds like you may have have your mind set on the two but i,ll put my two cents in anyway ive got a consumer reports last year the tested 9 models you,ll never guess you ranked #1 in most of the stats a $285 self propelled murry ive had a honda for 4 years good mower till something does mess up **** near have to get a loan to get it fixed shop around

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

The toro has been around for a long time but the engine that made there name is no longer used they now have a brigs on them I think today i would go with honda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.