Thanks Dave!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Its back!! Can the name be changed to Rock Gardens? Alpines don't do well in my hot and humid climate. The word 'alpine' might scare some people away.

John

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank-you Dave!!!! I am thrilled to be able to post Rock garden pics and posts on a Rock gardening Forum...Dave...you are the best!!!!

This is my newest Saxafraga...S. x arendsii

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

And another view...

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Same plant...Different Cultivar w/ darker flowers:

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

A new Sedum I love...Sedum spathulifolium 'Carnea'...gorgeous grey/purple/blue colors all in one sedum. Can't wait tosee the flowers...:)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

And lastly for now...a new Euphorbia I got at the Home & Garden show this past month....E. amygloides 'Efanthia' has wonderful maroon and deep green foliage w/ the usual greenish/yellow chartruese "flowers", very showy. A small burgandy Sedum is in front of it....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Slightly different angle...

Thumbnail by jamie68
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Very nice garden, Jamie.

John

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for this great forum Dave!

My son (the little gardener) wanted to do his own rock garden so I've got it almost done but just some Thyme in a crack or 2 so far - still too early really to plant out here. But we have a lot of stuff coming!!

-Christie

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Dave, and thanks to Jamie, who did so much to make this happen. Jamie, the pictures of your plants are gorgeous!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Excellent! Finally a forum where I can get excited. Thank-you Dave!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dave ;
Just started one last week and wow here it is ?
talk about service .

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

thanks Dave--such service- now all we got to do is keep talking!!

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

I will ask my question again. Are succulents and saxifrages the same or in the same family?

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Jamie, beautiful pictures. The Carnea is awesome looking, keep posting pictures will ya :)

Now that the forum is up and running, why don't you "experienced" rock/alpine gardeners give us some tips and insights on creating or nurturing our own....
and of course - thanks Dave!!!
Jo☼

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah but, but, I can't grow alpines in hot ol' Texas!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

lizh- a very quick and nonprofessional answer to part of your question-no. "succulents" are not a family of plants, but are plants that have thickened leaves to conserve moisture..they encompass plants from a variety of families. saxifrages, on the other hand, are a particular "family" of plants based on a certain set of characteristics, and some have thickened leaves, and some do not--there's lots more to this- it can get very technical- and i hope i'm not getting it wrong. maybe by "succulent" you mean a certain kind of plant- ie. hens and chicks- which are also different from saxifrages....hope this is helpful. you could post this question as a separate post, and get more responses

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

People in hot climates like Texas might not be able to grow traditional alpines but you can still have a lovely rock garden...in your case growing succulents and the 'tropical' alpines from the Drakensburgs in Africa and the Southern Andean alpines. There are some real beauties in those areas that are real alpines but only hardy to zone 7 or 8. Try Delosperma, alpine 'Helichrysum' from South Africa, some of the Andean Oxalis. There are many semi-tender Penstemon species from the US Southwest, etc. Pretty much anyone anywhere could develop a rock garden..it all comes down to selecting the right plant

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

sjms, thank you for your answer. I like all of them and just started buying some.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the encouragement, Todd! I needed that. Used to grow alpines in Alaska. They are very special little plants especially when stumbled upon in their natural enviroment.

John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.