Butterfly Clerodendrum; Blue Glory Bower (Clerodendrum ugandense)

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Butterfly Clerodendrum; Blue Glory Bower
Clerodendrum ugandense

My plant is 3 years old now, started from a seed I received in a trade.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

The blooms certainly are unique, Joseph & a beautiful colour. Do a lot of flowers open at once or just a couple at a time? Great photo.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much, broots! This year I hope more and more flowers open at once, but recent history has been I get 2 flowers as you see it in the photograph. They are ephemeral, lasting only 3 or so days. No fragrance, just an ethereal look.

Joseph

Blenheim, New Zealand

IT is a shame it has on fragrant But it is the one, that I loved first,It was in a garden center ,It was to frost tender were I lived at the time, but also to expensive,

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

bootandall,

It happily overwinters in my sunroom, and is flowering as we speak. I love it, it's awesome, and am taking cuttings to propagate it. Here's to a rooting success!

Joseph

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Your Clerodendrum ugandense is just lovely, Joseph. Seeing it makes me giddy with excitement and anticipation as I am finally getting one of these gorgeous plants for myself at our RU in April. Can't wait.

:Donna

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Donna,

Thank you for your kind comment! The flower in real life is out of this world. It is about a little over an 1 inch in diameter from the tip of its "antennae" to the tip of its "abdomen". Will you be getting a "mature" plant? Mine took 2 solid years before it flowered, but it was worth waiting for, trust me on that.

Joseph

Blenheim, New Zealand

I don't care how long plants take to flower from seed . would you like to swap your seed for mine.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

bootandall,

I would love to trade seeds with you if I had them. I only have cuttings, and have some that are well into the rooting phase. How is NZ on live plant material shipments? I would think there would be a heavy prohibition on live material importations.

Joseph

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are a few more pictures of a new flower that appeared on my plant yesterday.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here's #2.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here's another...notice the flower bud to the left, on the near verge of bursting open!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2005 11:42 PM

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Here's the same picture as the immediate previous one except it has backlighting with no flash...I thought it was a cool effect.

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Blenheim, New Zealand

great photos ,of that lovelly plants flowers

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Valarie. I really can't wait until it produces not 2 at a time but 10 as I have seen in photographs other DGrs have posted.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Joseph your plant is beautiful! I'm supposed to get a baby of it very soon. Bootandall, I'll check tomorrow but I believe I have some seeds to trade. Email me.
:) Donna

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Donna, I'm glad you'll be getting the plant soon!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Me to. I luv the delicate look of the flower...just fell in luv with it.
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.