Finally!!! Beyond Blinds!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

One month shy of being in this house for a full year, we finally have some kind of window treatment in the front window. These are the first curtains/sheers on the main level! LOL -- thankfully, the builder added some nice, heavy blinds as part of the closing contract so we've had those up all along. I'm very excited to get some sheers up on these windows, though. This room is finally starting to "get there". This house is considerably larger than the house we moved from (in the DC area) and it's really looked a bit bare during this first year. We're adding bit by bit, though, and things are starting to come together.

I found these on clearance at Lowe's for $7 a pair. They were pretty much the look I was hoping for... much less than the Country Curtains sheers I'd been eyeing :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This pic gives a better idea of the whole living room... it's a very restful space :)

Thumbnail by SalmonMe
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That looks really nice - the sheers really augment it. It does look restful. Do you have drywall in your house? If so, I sooo envy you!

We are in desperate need of window treatments in our house. Our miniblinds are secure, thank God, but every room except the kitchen has holes from where the curtain rods have come loose or plaster's crumbled. We just totally redid the kitchen - that's the only reason it's the exception! I have small tension rods holding up the sheer valances in there. http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/si/63593/

The house was built in 1954 and walls are thick plaster over metal grids, so unless we hit a stud, they crumble easily. http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/si/61706/ We've tried just about every type of anchor device at Lowe's, none work. The expanding anchors just chew away the back of the plaster and carve perfectly round holes. Toggle bolts work okay for some stuff, but nothing where we need an anchor in place before we insert a bolt or screw. Little stuff like pictures I can hang using the really thin wire nails, but that's sure not sufficient for curtain rods!

I have a little chunk of wall I saved so I could bring it with me next time I shop for hardware. It's easier to show someone what we're dealing with than to describe it, especially since I am not a builder and the person who helps me may not be familiar with building methods from the 50's. If a picture's worth a thousand words, this chunk of my house should be worth a million. ;)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

On the kitchen redo - you got an audible "woah!" outta me :) It looks completely different!!!

To answer your question, yes, it's drywall. I'm very sorry for you with the crumbly plaster trouble. Bummer. Love the new kitchen, thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, one great thing about the thick plaster is the walls are very solid and soundproof, and well-insulated!

Thanks about the kitchen. I still get an inaudible "woah!" many times, just walking into it. Can't believe it's in my house. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.