Holehird Gardens alpine house

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Some wonderful specimens here. I loved the primulas.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

An auricula primula.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The green primrose is a beauty! It's amazing what hybrization can create.

I love auriculas and have seen some fantastic specimens over the years at various shows. They have a quality about them that no other primula has and I can easily understand how people can get hooked on them!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Galanthophile. I can never get my fill of primula pictures. These are beautiful.

http://www.thealpinegarden.com/cl2005.html

Here's a link to some more primula pictures (Cleveland Show) and three exquisite hepaticas.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2005 11:58 AM

Some real treasures there - I notice these were taken at the Cleveland show. The show I went to was the Northumberland show - there should be other pictures from there at this site soon. There are some from Northumberland at www.alpinegardensociety.net. I love primulas and these shows are such a great opportunity to see some pristine examples. My favourite at the show was this one of Netta Dennis

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Incredible plant..the farina is just perfect!

I loved this one too - it almost doesn't need flowers!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Galanthophile~
I have had the best time looking at these pics! They are truly awesome....and some are so unique! I LOVE the green Primula further up the page...never saw anything like it....amazing!! The Netta Dennis plant was so perfect it blew me away...and I agree, this last one hardly does need flowers, that foliage is wonderful!!

Thank-you for sharing those pictures, they brightened my morning for sure!

Jamie

Jamie - you'd have been aghast if you'd been the the alpine show - show benches literally covered with the best show plants you could imagine. Some of the photos are on this site www.alpinegardensociety.net - look at the shows page. Here are some trilliums which are among my favourite plants.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Amazing to see Trillium rivale doing so well in a pot. The British-Scotish alpine growers really know how to do alpines in pots. I am fortunate that our local botanicla garden has an alpine house, but there is little blooming there yet, although the Kabschia saxifrages are starting to colour up.

Don't get mt started on trilliums! Thye didn't just have the small flowered types like rivale and pusilium but huge pots of albidum and chloropetalum. I ran out of photos!

Another trillium rivale

Yet more trilliums.

I particularly liked this one with the splashed petals.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That splash-petalled one is to die for....I never knew such colours existed! The UK people are keeping their plants to themselves it seems!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.