I love Spring in the Rock Garden!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all~
For those of us that grow rock garden plants, or love to go look at them in other gardens, shows, etc...Spring is a wonderful time. I thought I would share what is blooming in mine!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

......Armeria 'Victor Reiter'....So cute!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

......Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Rubra'......I love this one!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

.....I love the steely blue of this Sedum, with the bright lemon-green of the Campanula garganica 'Dickson's Gold'....and when the campanuls flowers....oooh-aaah....LOL ;o)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

......I am a sucker for these little flowers....one of my little mossy saxifragas.....with the most delicate little flowers!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

....and today I found that my first bloom had opened on my Erodium 'Bishop's Form'.....so sweet!! I have 4 new Erodiums on order...one is the new double....can't wait!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

.......and a new pic of my favorite columbine....oh, who am I kidding? They are all my favorite...LOL..:o) I do love the blue of this one though....a nice true blue......

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I could scream. I love all of your pictures. What's the name of the aquilegia? I'm a sucker for anything in that gentian shade of blue. Your Rubra is really putting on a show. Is that just one plant or several? I bought a couple of them recently, but they're not doing anything like that yet.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

And the last one for tonight....a nice, small Euphorbia for the small Rock Garden.....really pretty with its deep burdandy foliage, and the Chartruese blooms......It is Euphorbia amygloides 'Efanthia'.

Edited for spelling....oops!

Have a wonderful day!!
Jamie

This message was edited Apr 11, 2005 2:59 AM

Thumbnail by jamie68
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Your garden is so neat....let's see what it's like in a few years when all the plants get big! Trust me, in no time, your plants will be touching each other and then you'll really have a riot of colours! My rockery was like yours about 5 years ago...this is what it was like last June (unfortunately photographed in the lull between the spring flowers and the summer ones). You have lots to look forward too. I should add, I don't keep my really choice plants here as they might get swamped by the bully plants. Those, I grow in troughs.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Inspiring pics guy's and nice gardens!. I may try to start a rock garden in my yard this year, I've been trying to think of ways to cut down on mowing --- looks like a perfect solution!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi guys,

Zuzu - the blue columbine I showed (I have 3-4 that color-had to go check on the name...) is Aquilegia alpina....I will show you my other true blue ones as they bloom. And thank-you for the compliments on the rock garden....can't wait to see your troughs....and yes, that is one 'Rubra'.....two-years old, and loving the rock garden soil mix....

Todd - since I don't have as much room as you do, yet...:), I try to keep "vigorous" spreaders out....but I do look forward to the plants maturing, and growing together...your picture was so pretty....very natural looking, and so many plants I wanted to see close up....beautiful!!

Momof2d.....yes.....a rock garden sure does eliminate mowing...and lets you plant lots of really neat plants...addicting though...:o)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

One of my favorite "Garden Ornaments"...LOL...:)

Have a Great Spring Day!!
Jamie & Nakota

Thumbnail by jamie68
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Jamie, your dog is a beauty! Huskies are among my favourite breeds.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Spring is indeed a wonderful time in the alpine garden. My trilliums are starting to flower.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This is allium paradoxum var normale. I have quite a few bulbs among my raised beds. Jamie you have a lovely display - the pulsatilla is magic!

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

You're in a different world Galanthophile....currently it is snowing in Newfoundland! Rather depressing. As of this morning, nearly all the snow was gone from the garden. Checking around the garden I found my Trilliums to be about 5 cm tall.....they will flower in late May. I expect my first Kabschia saxifrages to be open by early next week.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Galant....
Thank-you for the kind words, that Pulsatilla really hit its stride this spring!! Your Allium paradoxa is so pristine, and Trillium is one I always have a soft spot for. Love the pics....keep 'em coming!

Have a good day!!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.