Chenille Plant, Red-Hot Cattail (Acalypha hispida)

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Chenille Plant, Red-Hot Cattail
Acalypha hispida

Thumbnail by jnana
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Very exotic looking! Would you do a trade?

Hi CaptMicha, I would love to do a trade if someone teaches me how to do it. I'm not too sure as to how you mail plants. I am a total novice when it comes to this sort of trading. I've given cuttings to many friends, but they all live here. I am willing to learn.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. There's a whole system.

This goes for cuttings or rooted plants.

You take your cutting or take your plant and wrap the bottom in damp papertowels. Then I usually tie a plastic bag around that part. Then you roll them in newspaper (don't leave any part of the plant exposed), kind of like a fish at market.

Pretty easy? You can order free priority boxes from the USPS site. Priority mail takes 3-4 days to deliver which is ideal for plant material. Otherwise, you can also just use a plain box or your post office has free priority boxes also.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Sounds very easy, so I'm willing to give it a try. Please e-mail me and we will talk.

jnana

Rabat, Morocco

I'd love to do a trade too, but somehow I think that sending cutting to Morocco would be just too complicated -- sanitary regulations and all that, not to mention the time it would take by normal post, or the expense by priority! I'll have to try and buy some seeds somewhere, or search the tiny nurseries around that might just have a plant hiding somewhere. I've never seen it in the nurseries here, although Acalypha wilkesiana is used a lot here. Jnana, your plant is beautiful! Those shaded corners in the garden must really come alive with those delicate red "caterpillars"!
Carey

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Very cool plant! I have one, but I don't know how to grow it! Can someone offer me some suggestions? So far I've read that it needs to stay moist, but not wet. It needs high humidity and don't ever let it get cold. BTW, I learned the last suggestion the hard way after keeping my door open for a few hours in 55 degree weather. The plant has started to drop a blossom every 5 minutes! OMG. Thanks for any help.

GH

Growhappy, how big is your plant? It should not be dropping its blossoms like that because it was exposed to colder temps.. We get temperatures in the low 40's during the winter and days in the 50's at times, and it has never done that. The leaves suffer a bit, but it quickly recovers.

Is yours in the sun? Have you checked for signs of disease or pests? If its losing the blossoms it could be a sign of thrips.
If yours is potted, make sure that the soil is not compacted. Soil should be moist but not overly wet.

Hope this helps. I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

jnana

This message was edited Jun 13, 2006 11:32 AM

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Val,

Thanks for answering. It has not received any sun this week b/c the weather has been cold and rainy. I watered the plant last night and it started to drop blossoms soon after. The plant is healthy, disease and pest free. It is a potted plant and maybe the soil was compacted. I watered because the plant was dry. It's hard to tell now that I've watered it if the soil was compacted. It didn't feel that way when I bought it home from the GH. I've had the plant only for about 2 weeks now. It was in perfect shape(aren't they all) when I bought it from the GH and now it's going through changes. I'm thinking I over watered it. When I watered it, the water started to pour out of the drainage holes. Since it's in a hanging basket without a saucer, I thought it would be okay. I tried to think back to what conditions I changed when the plant started to act this way. The only two things that have changed this week are the colder conditions and the humidity(I haven't run the humdifier at all this week) and then I watered it last night.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of days. The temps are warming up today, the humidifier is on and I won't give it water until it gets closer to completely dry.

Val, thanks for your help.

GH

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I was told that when you buy any plant, you're supossed to make four slits on opposite sides to loosen the roots.

Is it in the origional container?

Foley, AL

is that what is also called a sausage plant?

ely

You welcome GH.

Michele, you are right about the slits. When repotting or planting in the ground it helps loosen the roots which usually grow around in a circle.

Ely, I've never heard a Chenille Plant being called a sausage plant. There is a tree called Sausage tree because of the look of the fruit.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2006 11:32 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.