looking for Polish sauerkraut recipe

Glendale, AZ

Each year, a local Catholic church has an "international fair" with Polish, German, Italian and American food booths. We love their German potato salad, but especially the Polish sauerkraut they serve with Polish sausage. Does anyone have a recipe for that? It appears there are tiny specks of meat in it, but what else I have no clue - and it is not very 'sour'.
Now, when we make sauerkraut and sausage here, we just add a little brown sugar and some chopped onion to a jar of Safeway's sauerkraut, lay the sausage on top and bake for about an hour. It's not bad, but I'd sure like to know the Polish way if you have it. If it's a special sauerkraut they start with, we do have a Polish market not too far from us, and I stopped in there once, but oh my - they had shelves full of all kinds of sauerkraut - which one to buy? Thanks. Harold

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Harold!

This not an exact recipe but I can give you a few tips as to how my mom makes kapusta.

You'll need:

Franks brand sauerkraut
(Large green can or bag in refrigerated section of market)
1/4 small Green cabbage - sliced thin like for cole slaw
Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
Pork Chop or Pork Neckbone
Polish Sausage - add towards end of cooking
Whole Allspice - 3-4
Bayleaf - 1
Whole peppercorns - 4-5 or to taste
Water

Empty the kraut into a pot and reserve some of the liquid. Add the cabbage and remaining ingredients and top off with some water (only enough to cover the ingredients by an inch or so). Cook until the kraut is tender. Adjust the "sour" by adding some of the reserved kraut juice to your taste. My mom likes to make a little roux with butter and flour and add it in towards the end of cooking to give the kapusta some body.

The above ingredients are the basics. Experiment with the quantities to your own taste.

Good luck and good eating!

Toni

Glendale, AZ

Toni - Thanks so much! That sounds like a winner. Now to look for Frank's sauerkraut here in Arizona. Harold

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

When I was a tyke I would help my mother make sauerkraut. She had a device that she would place half-heads of cabbage in. She would slide it back and forth and it would shred the cabbage. THe shredded cabbage was placed in a large stone-ware crock in layers with salt and caraway seed. It was my job to walk on the cabbage and pack it tight. When the crock was full she would put a large plate on top and then a big rock.

After several days the cabbage would ferment and release liquid. She woulld can most of it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's so much easier these days! My mom was born and raised in a small village in Poland. Everything you ate you either had to grow or catch. Very poor and lots of hard labor. When she came to America (age 38) she couldn't believe the amount of food we have here. The grocery stores amazed her. She is 84 years old now and still cooks every day! I have never ever seen her use a recipe. She taught me how to cook by TALKING the recipe. A handful of this and just a little bit of that. She's a great cook and can make something fantastic out of the simplest ingredients. It's a running joke between us when we talk about what we cooked. It's always "so how did it come out this time"? Nothing ever tastes exactly the same as before because we always improvise. It is always good though!

Toni

Glendale, AZ

My mother was German and she made her own sauerkraut too when we lived in Ohio and grew our own food. But she would use her knuckles to punch the salt into the cabbage, so much so that they would bleed. I'm not sure why she didn't use one of us kids to stomp on it. Interesting. Harold

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Harold or toni, do you or your mothers make strudel? Here is my recipe as I learned it from my mother, well she only made strudel with apples. I have added the other fruits.

Strudel Dough:
1 cup milk
1/3 stick butter
Bring to a boil
2 eggs beaten
Pour milk, butter mixture over eggs while beating eggs
flour, approx. 2-1/2 cups
Add flour while working with the back of a wooden spoon until just firm enough to handle (dough should be as soft as possible).
Knead the dough until it is smooth.
Divide in two and work between the hands until smooth.
Place in buttered bowls and cover with plastic film or butter your hands before shaping the individual pieces and than wrap in plastic film, less cleanup. (better than the moist towel that was used in the past)

Rest for 20-30 minutes in a warm place or over warm water (dough must be kept warm!)

Place on a floured cloth and roll out, traditionally the dough was stretched, as thin as possible. Strive for a rectangle where the narrow side is just a little wider than the long side of your pan.

Apple Filling:
Sprinkle a quarter cup of flour over dough.
Dust with Cardamom.
Sprinkle 1/2 oz. Cinnamon.
Distribute 1/2 lb. Walnut pieces.
Distribute 1 Cup coconut.
Distribute 1 Cup raisins.
Cover with sliced apples. I used 3 Cameo and 1 Gala apples.
Distribute 1 Cup sugar.
Dot with 1/3 stick of butter.

Cranberry Filling:
Sprinkle a quarter cup of flour over dough.
Distribute 1/2 lb. Walnut pieces.
Distribute 24 oz. Fresh cranberries.
Distribute 1 Cup sugar.

Peach Filling:
Distribute a mixture of 2 Tbs. Cornstarch and 1 tsp. Almond extract.
Distribute 6 sliced fresh peaches or nectarines.
Dot with 1/3 stick butter.

Finish:
Lift sides of cloth to flip long edges in 1 to 1-1/2 inch.
Flip far end in a couple of inches.
Then roll and placed on 17x11-1/4x3/4-inch pan (2 rolls per pan)
Sprinkle sugar on top

Bake:
450 degrees for 15 minutes
Rub some butter on the surface to keep it soft
400 degrees for 45 more minutes (In my oven 300 is better)

At christmas my daughter made a strudel and I liked her crust better than mine, I need to get her recipe.

Years ago I had a strudel made by a student from Germany. The crust was rather different and I would like to learn how to make that kind also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.