My Real 8'4" Coleus-In Guinness Book

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen....the one and only 8'4" coleus...........the world record holder according to the Guinness' World Book of Records.

You can see a little more of the same on the left, but not the same plant. I planted about 10 teeny cuttings from a friend. and this is what I have.

Hap

PS The top of the plant is at the top of DH stick with the white sheet of paper.

This message was edited May 11, 2005 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This is a longer shot although not quite as clear....Photographer's booboo.....
another booboo....pics one and two should be reversed!!

Hap

This message was edited May 11, 2005 8:45 AM

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My garden that it is in..........

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The beginning of another day in God's beautiful world..

Love to all

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I am speechless.....!!!!!!
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

And here is the paper to prove it!!

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm even MORE speechless!!!!
Pati

Chicago, IL

Thats great mommy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So Happy, is it the coleus itself or do you have some secret for growing them? Hmm?? I got some of this from a dear mutual friend. I hope I do it justice. How long did it take yours to get that big?

Congrats on the record!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm having a ball, Pati....and it's great having such great friends to enjoy is all with,,,,,,not to mention my DD, posypeddler.....that sweet child.....

Hap

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Badseed: And do we remove the ceiling when we bring it in for the winter?:)

(Zone 9b)

That is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, Happy!! I have never seen one like that. A coleus hedge. LOL. Your yard is delightful.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow Hap....'A Star Is Born'!!! LOL Great job on a fabulous coleus. Dang girlfriend, you could share cuttings with all of DG and still have some left off that plant! LOL I think it is beautiful. (And I was just kidding about cuttings...don't touch it....I love it)

Now....post us more beautiful pics now that you have your camera.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

WOWEEKAZOWEE!
That's one beautiful place you have there.
Surely you have named that not only record coleus, but so pretty too.
I was wondering how one that tall could look and yours surpassed all my expectations.
I am just proud to say I have contact with someone who could grow such a beauty everyday!
What do you call this baby?
Nice DH too.
sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone...you all have me in tears...never had so many friends, and never ones like you kids.. I'm sorta a loner I guess..anyway..

Badseed: I rooted them and then they wilted and almost died, water, and repeated process until finding time to plant the dern things. They're under my HUSBAND's neglected fruit trees. The area was full of weeds so I thought I'd stick them there...Begged some Wandering Jew from my neighbor and let the Good Lord take over... Never really bothered with them, about 10 at all. (Do have sprinkling system though) I think they are about 2-3 years old. Remember, I grow 24/7.....

Thanks, Kell. Everyone has been so helpful to me that you have put me on a roll and all I do is spend, spend, spend....HD's fire sale table is my favorite..

Brinda: I did post some others I took today on the orchid forum. I have 1 more to go at this point. More pics to follow......Thanks for the compliments.. And yes, I would be glad to send cuttings. I have a trial package in the mail now and as soon as I see that I know how, I will be glad. Just mail me your postal address.

My, My, sugarweed, you seem surprised. Would you want any less from me? LOLOLOLOLOL As of this point I have no idea it's name and I have not named it as yet........but wait, I just got an ideee. Seeing that you and my coleus have something in common, so you said, I will name it Sidney.......OK?

Husband is named and taken....Bob is his name and he is straight from heaven....

Love to all

Hap

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

What a wonderful thread.... made me smile with delight!!!

Judy

I would be so honored to have that big-un named after me. I just hope it doesn't fall on ill health now. LOL
When my piece arrives, I'm naming it Happy!
I stayed in Fl today cause I was afraid if it came, it would not be taken care of like it should.
Going back to Charlotte sunday to work on mother's house.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

HOLY COW! What a wonderful display! Congratulations on your Guiness award!

Diane Krny

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

That is so awesome!!! and only in 3 years?
how did they find out about you? did you submit a pic and story? did they come take a pic? what was the record you beat?
this is incredible!!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

MsJen,

It was a whole process that took several months.

As I was out looking at it one day I thought to myself, boy that's a biggie. That oughta be a record of some sort. So, I went to the Guinness site and found out that their present record was a measly 4'4" or something of that sort. I said,,,,,,,,,WELLLLLLLLLLll, I sure have that beat hands down. So I wrote them and they sent me the instructions on how to submit something,"TO Be Considered!!"

Papers arrived and I learned that it had to be photographed, no surprise and then documented by someone. Well, whippie-do, the nice young man accross the lake from me is a surveyor. Had him come over and measure and he had the owner and certified surveyor, write a letter for me stating the height and had his legal seal embossed on the letter.

I sent all off and in a month or so I received the certificate and a letter stating that even though this was a record it may not be published as such....BUTTTTTTTTTtt, considering it is replacing a record, it has a greater chance of being in the next book due out next year.

So it's a waiting game at the present. Have my certificate and I'm as happy as a clam.

See gang, you're never too old to reach new goals, new heights, new achievements.. I will be 65 in September and look what I just done-dude. We're never too old for anything....

What a ball this life is....

Hap

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

i i i i i
Am
ALSO
SPEACHLESS!!!
It's beautiful and what an amazing garden you have. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I'm so happy to have seen your HUGE Beauty of a MONSTER.
Congrats on your world record.
Kin

Northern California, CA

Can I have your autograph???? LOL

Congrats on your huge Coleus and this great honor!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry i bombarded you with questions, but i was like "omg, wow"...and just wanted to know.
i'm still shaking my heading think and 8'ft coleus? amazing!!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

No MsJen, it's no problem... I love to chat and I love to brag......Thanks for caring enough to ask..

Hap

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful plant. Changed my mind about "presentation is everything" - now I think size is!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Happenstance...

Tuesdays only....ROTFL sorry, you just missed it......

Hap

Great questions and answers.

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Hap,

I must say that I never imagined Coleus grew this way. I feel fortunate that I can overwinter mine in my home and enjoy them for years.

I so long to move south--no snow, extended gardening season and HUGE coleus! I'm now working on my husband--he says we can move when our kids are older. I can't wait!

You sure are a wonderful "plantmom!"

PlantMom

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, it took me a divorce to get here....and well worth it. I am in heaven, early..

Hap

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow!! Amazing!! Beautiful yard!!

Here in Titusville Florida [9a] most of the coleus dies in winter. I bring some in to overwinter just in case we have a hard frost. The coleus I have I think I got at a garage or plant sale approx 15 +/- ago. It grows like crazy in the summer and is a great "filler" in bare spots.

I also have a geranium and kolanchoe and they too "grow like a weeds". I will try posting some pix of the plants.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

What type of geranium is it, Pavone? Does it also die in the winter?

Hap

So Bob's not the original DH? I was getting confused.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

No sugarweed, there was another...alas....

Bob and I have been together for 22 years now...It's been a wonderful ride..

Hap

Hap,

I don't know what type of geranium it is, it has red flowers. It dies if it gets too cold. I used to live in Venice Florida [Zone 9a] and I had huge geranium plants that overwintered and just kept growing. I would think in your area you could virtually grow a "Geranium Tree" that would [perhaps] rival your coleus.

Going with APWATW [A picture is worth a thousand words] -- I am posting pix I just took of the geranium. This is my first attempt at uploading pix to this site -- so bear with me please. LOL

Thumbnail by Zingy

Pavone. welcome and you upload just fine. I think it also has to do with wind chill. Mine survive in protected areas and go quickly in the cold wind just north of ya.
sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's a beautiful pic....and I'm sure it's not beginner's luck..Keep posting.

I will try a ger or two..see what happens. I saw a zonal on our front page today that looks beautiful. That's all I need is another obsession..

Hap

Sidney/Sugarweed,

Ah!! Wind chill!! OK!! That explains a lot! Thanks!

My property is on a slope/hill and I think cold pockets form/settle here and there. Last winter we strung Xmas lights on some of the plants and kept them on when it got cold. It seems to work - but then it did not get THAT cold. Some of the trees we strung lights on and then covered them with old sheets etc. Our property looked like some "Weirdo light show"!

I am banished indoors until the rain stops. I would go out in the rain -- but I can't figure a way to "Ground" myself to avoid the lightening. LOL
Marie
PS Another geranium pix

Thumbnail by Zingy
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Congratulations Happy! Your coleus and entire yard are beautiful! I wish that I had your garden design skills.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Come on up and we can compare notes. MollyMc is near too..... Free cuttings tempt you?

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh my, there is so much positive energy emitting from this thread! I've been grinning so hard that now my face hurts... lol.

How fun for you, Hap! Congratulations are certainly in order, and it couldn't have happened to a sweeter person. :)

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.