Colour suggestions please for painting the porch, etc.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This is our old girl. We will be shingling (for sure) and hopefuly painting her this summer. I would appreciate color suggestions for both shingles and paint.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This is what some of the other houses look like in the neighborhood:

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Across the street

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kitty corner

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

p.s. the snow is long gone. ;)

Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

well the house is red brick, white does look nice with it
Have you looked at Porch and Floor paint from Behr Premium Plus
lots of great colours that would look great with the brick ..
I just happen to have a colour chart that I picked up at Home Depot and there sure are some pretty colours in this chart

like Aged Blue, Nostalgia Green, Slate Gray, Yellow fences
but I guess it all depends on what colour your shingles are going to be..

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hi Wilma

The white did come to mind but it would be a duplicate (almost) of the house that's kitty corner to us. The shingle colour is open as well so we aren't tied down there. We certainly might end up painting it white but....

Thank you for your suggestions. Men are coming tomorrow to give estimates on the shingling so I thought I'd better get a clearer idea of what we would like.

Will also be upgrading the second floor windows with ones that are insulated. :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Does anyone have a puter program that can change the colours on the porch, trim on the windows, etc?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I think there are some online paint mfg. sites where you can do that, but not positive. I just tried with one of my programs and your photo but I'd have to do it pixel by pixel, quite tedious.

One thing I would suggest is using 2 colors in repainting the trim.... one more bold and one subtle, even if one is just a finer line to the window trim. I'd be partial to something in the dark greenish teal family, with a much lighter tint of the same color, depending on colors in the shingles.

The brick is such a warm color that some cool color contrast might be soothing.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Pam,

Benjamin Moore has the Personal Color Viewer. Go to this site and click on "Let's Paint": http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper_pcv.asp?L=owner&K=intproj&N=intproj

The Personal Color Viewer will open and you can choose exterior houses to paint. Their samples do not have any red brick, but you can find one that's close to your house and play with the trim colors.

Take a look, and I will come back later and spend more time with you. My DB and SIL are here visiting today.

:^))))) Have Fun.

Molly

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you for your suggestions Darius and Molly .......right now it's gorgeous outside and I've gots dirt under the nails so will check out "Let's Paint" and everyone's color suggestions there tonight. That site is exactly what I need Molly!!!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Are you going to repaint all the trim on the house or just the porch?

I sat here and looked at the picture of your house for a long time. It's hard to imagine what different colors will look like against the brick.

I think I would try a tannish cream color to match the grout between your bricks and see how that works. Use shingles that are close to that same color.

Second I would try a burnt orange color, with perhaps tan detailing?

Or how about those singles that look like shakes, and painting the trim a reddish brown?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We'd be painting all the woodwork Joan.......like you I've often looked at the house and other than white I've never been too sure of what to put on it. Thank you for the suggestion of tan as well, it's another one that I too wondered about. We were also eyeing the shake looking shingles as well. Just noticed them, a week ago, in one of the local building supply flyers.

Darius I saw an apartment today that had the teal green against a redder brick and it did look sharp.

This message was edited May 14, 2005 3:29 PM

Pam,

I used the Paint your house at the Benjamin Moore site and since there weren't any red brick, I painted house number 10 (I think) walls georgian brick first. Then I painted the wood trim Saybrook Sage and the front door Tate Olive. I think these two colors would look excellent together and you could do both colors on the wide crown moulding that runs up the edges of the gables.

They are different than your neighbors colors, look very well with the red brick and by golly, so good to get away from the standard white. If you decide on the shaker shingles, these colors will look excellent with that too.

Normally I like bright vivid colors but I live in Fla and we can do anything we want down here and not get laughed at. :^)))

The above colors are a bit conservative, but not washed out and will add a little more character to your house.

If you need help navigating the Paint site, let me know where the problem is and I will try to help you through it.

Molly
:^)))

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Molly .......just taking a quick peek here and will be practicing with the color site this evening. Thank you soooo much for your offer to help with the site.

LOL........you are right Florida colours would look out-of-place here. ;)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Molly I've played with that program for over an hour now......it's wonderful to see what will and won't work. Thank you soooooo very much for linking me to it. Both DH and I will be visiting it quite often.

You are very welcome. Happy to show it to you.

Molly
:^)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.