Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

Butterfly Plant 'Stripe' (Christia obcordata)

Lafayette, LA(Zone 9a)

Butterfly Plant 'Stripe'
Christia obcordata

Houseplant native to China.

Thumbnail by nancyanne
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

How interesting and unusual!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow, I love it. What a treasure. Where did you find it and do they have more unusual stuff... I'm gettting over the marigolds......

Hap

PS...I'm Nancy Lee

This message was edited May 21, 2005 8:45 AM

Lafayette, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Nancy Lee -
I don't know much about this plant, but saw it at a friend's retail orchid house - she only knew that it was native to China, indoor plant only, perennial. I was really taken by the unusual foliage. I'm glad the dave's garden gurus were able to unearth the family - since it is related to beans and peas, I'll have a little idea of what to expect!
My friend had bought a flat of seedlings (for the same reason I liked the plant - unusual and colorful foliage). I've found only information stating that the flowers are 'insignificant'. Perhaps when/if it flowers I will be able to get seed. The leaves are thin, but have a slightly downy texture. They fold close to the stem at night, like maranta.
Regards - Nancy Anne

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

what a loving cute plant.
thx
John

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You means it folds in half?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

that is so cute

Lakeland, FL

Slobber, Slobber, Drool. That's all I can say. Unbelievable. Marilynne

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

WOW, I love it, now I'm going to look for this one!!! Annie

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Nancyanne, I have the same plant. I bought it about 2 months ago because I feel in love with its unusual look. I posted a thread in the Identification Forum asking for the right name http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/509041/. After quite a bit of searching, I came to the conclusion that it was obcordata.

Do you happen to have some information about the plant? I have it in my patio and it seems to be growing really well. There is very little information out there regarding this unusual plant. I'll appreciate your input.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2006 11:36 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images