SOLVED: What in the world?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I frequently reuse the same pots of soil for propagating cuttings and such. In this pot I have a cutting of Lions Tail rooting. I have no idea what I have had in here previously, but obviously something. What is this thing growing ? I dont think I have anything like it. It has not leaves, just this thing growing out of the soil? Here is the whole plant, with the lions tail beside it.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is a closeup of the bud or whatever.

Thumbnail by rylaff
(Zone 8a)

Fascinating! I hope someone can solve this for you - I want to know what it is..

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

me too
thats down right weird....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Put me down as another curious person!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

That is so neat. Send a photo when it opens up more.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

sorta looks like some kind of lily out of control. hehe probably be awsome when it open.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It looks like a Camassia without the leaves...but that would not be possible.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Strange, huh. I have never seen anything like it. No leaves. Will have to keep a close eye on it. If that is a bloom, I will post a pic when it blooms.

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Is it a naked lady? DId you coax one out of dormancy? i would imagine the easiest way to tell is see if there's a bulblet attached.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/nklady1b.jpg

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Nope, good thought though. I have some naked ladies and they dont look like that.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

FUNKY! Sure will be fun to find out what it is! K

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

It is rather a long shot, but it suggests to me one of the saprophytic orchids. Could it be the Striped Coral-root Corallorhiza striata http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74217/index.html

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, now you might be on to something.

I read the link provided by Kennedyh and wrote to the DG person who reviewed the plant and asked him to come to this thread and please help identify the plant since he knows it.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Great idea! Whatever it is , I dont think I planted it. I have never seen anything like it either. Just shoots up out of nowhere. Strange. Perhaps once it blooms we shall get a better idea of what it is.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It might be a coralroot orchid but I'd need to see it bloom to be sure. Please post a pic when open and we will confirm....I can't say I've ever seen one growing in a pot. It certainly looks like some sort of saprophytic plant based on the leafless stem, but it also reminds me of some bulbous plant that also blooms without leaves...problem is, I can't remember what that bulb might be!

Thank you for answering my email and trying to help out! Arlene

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I hope it doesnt take too long to bloom. It is driving me nuts. But thanks for trying.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I think it kind of looks like asparagus! LOL!!!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Skinny asparagus!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

kinda looks like a hosta bloom too.....LOL

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

The stem is kind of fuzzy too. Just weird how it grew out of nowhere. Not a leaf at all.

Heerlen, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

IIeeekkk...I hope it is 'nt some kind of alien ...send down to earth to take over...LOL..

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It's a TRIFFID!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Ahhh, The Day The Triffids Came To Earth. Could be. Will watch and see if it starts spitting out poison and trying to take over the world.

What was the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors"? I think I had a Brugmansia once that grew like that!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

......"Heeellllo BAY-Be!" LOL

Pearland, TX

Could it be a Nun's orchid? Joan

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I think Nun's Orchid has leaves. But I believe it is some type of native orchid that doesnt have leaves.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Try this..

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2440/index.html

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hmmmm. I have some of that elsewhere and there is no fuzz on the stem.

Dallas, TX

looks like a lot of things...lol

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, that's cool, I like it!

on my watch list, can't wait to see the blossom open.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Me either, it's going to be GREAT!!

Julie

I'm just one of the ones who always feel we gardeners are so impatient and yet, here we are, lined up just waiting patiently for the answer. Arlene

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I agree with luvsgrtdanes--looks like asparagus but NOW the fuzz--please keep us posted. Certainly a member of the lily family like scilla or ? Looks much like a lions tail itself, doesn't it.
Irish wolfhound/ St Bernard

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

i 'm not being pat. its driving me to nervous wreck . someone must know??? i hope?/ blessings all.

Oliver Springs, TN(Zone 6b)

It's definitely not any asparagus that I have ever seen. It looks more like an Amaryllis stalk to me, but don't know if they are ever hairy or not. Just another thought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.