SOLVED: What in the world?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We grow a field of asparagus and they are green and do NOT have any hair at all - ever!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

does look lke amaryllis stalk.. but they have green leaves to..lily family or naked lady maybe new one odd one..

Lakeland, FL

Hey! I know------ A cross between all the above.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, it has been suggested that it may be Sacoila Lanceolata (leafless beaked orchid), which is a native Florida orchid which grows down in south Florida, not here in north florida. Look it up and see what yall think.

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/pelchat/sacoila%20lanceolata_4.jpg

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/pelchat/sacoila%20lanceolata_3.jpg

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Between the first and second of your last links, rylaff, it is apparent that in a few ?days? we should know. The first pic sure looks alot like your original pic. if it opens up like the second, Ta-da. This would also be related to kennedyh's suggestion, would it not? Seems that patience is the better part of valor in this particular case...

~'spin!~

Dallas, TX

I would be interested to know how did it get where it is if you dont know what it is Ryliff... evidently if something idiginous of the tropics. Probaly something you thought didnt make it ...and it did. LOL ...but just like everyone else...I am waiting too. lol hmmm...It has to be a bulb or a corum or something of the like.
Sylvia

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

oh those are pretty orchid be so nice ..

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It certainly looks like Sacoila will be the winner in my opinion. I had a feeling it would be an orchid, but I was somewhat dubious about it being a coralroot.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, it looks like Sacoila is probably right on the money. What a south Florida native is doing up here, I dont know. I certainly did not plant it. Must have come with something that someone sent up here. I now have buds that are getting ready to open.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Doesn't it make you wonder, if it did come with a trade, if someone is searching their pots and gardens and wondering where on earth they planted it?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow What a surprise! If it is Sacoila lanceolata you should get in touch with Dr Wunderlin here: http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/browse.asp . According to his website the only northern county where Sacoila lanceolata has been documented is Walton County. Niceville is up in that general area, right?

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

What great fun! Mystery novels take a back seat, don't they. Transportation in the world of flora is always fascinating.

Sunrize: I feel so ignorant after reading these responses and how people can identify a strange stalk. Inadequate, inferior, uninformed!!!!! would all apply to me now.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

You're not alone, pirl. Just the only one honest enough to admit it. I echo your feelings of HUH?

Thanks for the little boost, Sunrize but it's getting depressing!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

How utterly cool is that Rylaff? Nice bonus, wherever it came from! :~D

No worries Pirl....we're all there with you! There is no way anyone could know them all, that's why we have eachother. Just like doctors, we "specialize" in our favorite plant types, then look to each other for ID help outside our own "speciality"! That right there is one of the best things about this site! The more you peek into the forums, the more you learn!

K

Thanks, I realllllllly needed that Kachinagirl!

Modi'in, Israel

Wow, how FUN! I can't wait to see it when it's fully open! :-)

-Julie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

What a wonderful plant you received and what great fun for all of us waiting for the bloom to open.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

maybe wind , bird or ? hm??

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Could be. Walton county is the next county over, so perhaps a bird?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

hope it opens can't wait to see and a orchid would be so pretty to see and to have..good for you or the bird..

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That is going to look so cool when it completely opens up. Great ID'ng everyone!
:) Donna

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow thats just a really cool plant... thanks for the thread!

Viv

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

She is starting to open up.

Thumbnail by rylaff

This has really been a wonderful mystery with a happy ending. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

What a fun mystery to literally and figuratively watch unfold !!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

All of us from around the world watching! How much fun!

Modi'in, Israel

This is so fun! I keep checking daily to see if there are new updates on this wonderful mystery beauty :-). I'm so glad it was finally IDd and that we can all share in the fun of watching it open :-)

-Julie

Me, too, salvia_lover! Every morning I check in with coffee cup nearby.

Heerlen, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Congratulations! What a beauty it turned to be!

ok, I'm dense, what was the final id????

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sacoila lanceolata , leafless beaked orchid. It is a native orchid of Florida, usually found in South Florida. It has been seen in Walton county (here in NW Florida) which is the next county over. It has either migrate here or a bird brought it or it came with another plant that I have recieved.

Congratulations! You really have provided us with a story in the making.

Isn't that neat? I hike everyday (well almost) and sometimes I wonder if the plants I see are rare to this area. How wonderful to find something growing right in your own yard like that.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

So, are you marking this thread "Solved"??

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Absolutely.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

great lovely.. any seeds from it reckon.. if so love few... if i have anything to trade ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.