EVERYONE INVITED TO JOIN THE FUN!!! CONTEST TIME!!!

(Zone 9b)

Happy and I have been talking about having some group fun this weekend. Our first coleus contest will start Friday at noon and go to Sunday at 6PM EST.

Post a picture you took of your favorite coleus that you are growing during this time period. Starting Sunday at 6PM EST we will all vote on our most favorite photo on a new thread that will be started.

If you have more than 1 fav........go for it! LOL!!

The winner gets a 4 inch coleus similar to the one pictured. And if someone wins that lives where it is too hot for it to live thru the mail or if the winner lives out of the country, I will send the winner weekly photos of his/her plant to keep them involved in its upbringing. Of course I will charge you for room and board.

Thumbnail by Kell
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wooooooooohoooooooooooooo! Yipppppeeeeeeeee!!!!! I just love you Kell and I always love your contests!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Now I gotta get off work and go home and charge those batteries! LOL

Remember when you did the sky contest? LOLOL That was a hoot!!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Geeze, I'm gonna have to get back to Fla quick!

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

2 Coleus being over run by Maidens Hair Fern, petuna, shamrock, impatiens, and some young foxglove leaves in the back.

Everything tends to runamuck in my shade garden. I have no control! Sigh. LOL
Mary

Thumbnail by mpabbott1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hurry up sugar..........

mp.......what a beautiful composition. all so happy together..

Conway, SC

Oh, what fun this is!!! Here is my little coleus grouping. They are planted in shade and seem to be very happy. They are from left to right --Pineapple, Life Lime, Alabama Sunset, Dark Star, Rustic Orange, and another Life Lime.

Thumbnail by BSD
Conway, SC

2nd Coleus grouping. I would love to know their names. Tags listed them as "Sun Coleus". Isn't that alot of help. Thanks for looking.

Thumbnail by BSD
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

BSD, what a nice looking grouping of coleus. I bet that will be just gorgeous in a month or so....actually it's gorgeous now!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

BSD,,,,I believe you have, from L to R....India Frills, Defiance, and ????..Well 2 outa 3 aint too bad..

Hap

BSD - Oh I can't wait until my potted group fill out like that. I'll just have to call this group 'young love' or 'future love' because I just planted them 3 days ago and the pot still looks naked. Now I have a better idea of how they'll look later.
Mary

Thumbnail by mpabbott1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

MPabbott1, don't think we've met.......If I'm the behind the times, I apologize, but if you are a newbie to our forum, welcome. You coleus are going to be great...perfect match of colors...you're a pro?

Hap

Mary, gonna be beautiful. It doesn't take them long either.
Welcome to the coleus forum.

Hi Hap,
I've mostly been playing on the Brugmansia and Roses forum, although I've had coleus through the years. I've just been a 'lurker' over here.
Mary

Some of Kell's contest bring out the "Lurker" in me in the brug forum, or used to.
coleus just get better and better.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Garlock-seedling-2004-01

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Irish Sunrise

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Burgandy Glow

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

contrast

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

little fingers :-)

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

phyllostachya that my wife calls her favorite miniature coleus

This message was edited Jun 11, 2005 1:21 PM

Thumbnail by Strever
Conway, SC

Thanks Hap, that's a great help. Could the red be "Big Red"?
Mary, your "young loves" will fill that pot in no time. Pretty combination.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

strever,
beautiful coleus, but the one you have listed as your wifes fav. are phyllostachya. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/752///
I love using them as accents for color also. They stand up to the heat and humidity here.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

i should have been more precise
my wife calls the phyllostachya her miniature coleus :-)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Where have YOU been shopping, Strever? That Burgandy Glow is sumpten......love it
Hap

(Zone 9b)

LOL You guys. I am going to check with Hap and see if we should make this contest just vote for your favorite picture of coleus since people are having a hard time showing just one. It is like potato chips, you can't just have 1. LOL.

It is going to be hard ot pick just one picture. They all are so good. .

Hey Dick, you have some so different. I want to see a close up of the one to the right of Garlick. I think I am in love. Again.

LOL. I love your "mini coleus", Dick. They are too cute. Do you know they overwintered here! Coleus do not.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Was wondering what you were doing up at this hour and then I realized that you are three hours behind. LOL I just can't sleep.

I agree, I think they have snuckered us into a group contest....or we can make this a two-be....group and single....strever has started the singles

Hap

(Zone 9b)

Yes, it is almost 11 here. I didn't get home from my rented garden till almost 9. My feet are killing me, Hap!

For our first contest, we can have a free for all. LOL. What ever is fun. I am going to take pics tomorrow for it too. I have a few favorites myself.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Kell
the plant you like is the other Garlock #1
the pict didn't come out as good
i was going to take a new pict in the morning
Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Hap
the Burgandy Glow is a 2nd year plant, nice & big
the color is lighter this year & i like it :-)
Dick

(Zone 9b)

See Hap, Dick is a West coaster too. I hope you are now asleep in your comfy bed dreaming of bright and beautiful coleus surrounding your house so in the morning you can't get out. LOL

I love it Dick. I am still looking for that one.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You're right kell, I did go back to bed......but I could get out of the house this am.....no magic coleus...But if I can get out between the rain storms, I do have some more to plant.....isn't that a surprise...hehehe. Even with the time difference, you are still up very late.....

Dick , ,,,love it...

Hap

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Strever, your coleus are beautiful, and you named on of my unknowns, Irish Sunrise, Thanks. My favorite combo coleus pot.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

cbrandenburg
Ypur plants are very beautiful and fantastic photo.......
Kaleem

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

WOW, cbrandenburg....that beautiful!! This year I looked for more "orangy" ones for combinations. THey really stand out in a shade garden with ferns.

BTW..Welcome to all "lurkers".. Sooner or later you will just HAVE to join in. LOL
Pati

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Cathy
don't be too quick to name
these Coleus will tantalize you & lure you & then confuse you
the grower i got irish sunset told me there are several different strains
being grown by different growers all similar but all different :-)
here i irish sunset not getting much sun in the shade it stays much more green
i think i also have a florida sunset somewhere that is related :-)

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Argh! I can't write these names down fast enough...

Barb

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I think you're right, Dick....They are all going to morph into whatever. Everyone is crossing this with that...there will be no keeping track of anything.....Sure takes a lot off my mind, or what's left of it....nothing to remember.........just enjoy..........ROTFL.........

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I got this one at the grocery store. I was calling it *butt ugly red* until I put it in the ground. From a distance it looks hot pink.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

badseed, last year was my "pinky" Coleus year and I never had one that color. It's a beauty!
Pati

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I have your butt ugly red also. I'll have to go out to find out it's name. Mine has gotten huge in about 3 weeks......probably has a 15" spread and about 12" tall now. BRB...I'm gonna run & look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.