Here's the plot!

Chicago, IL

The babys are beautiful...on my way home will chat later....hap

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

You've put a lot of work into this Sidney, and by mid-summer it will be gorgeous.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful. We got rain today - will soon need to transplant all my plants. Miracl Grow , fish emulsion and 90 degree humidity and temps really make them grow.

Now I know what you mean about sticking the extra pinch offs into a pot.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a clearer one of the front.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Holy, Moly, sugarweed....what a change....it looks beautiful...You even did a design....I don't think, witht that big space, I would have even tried....Now let's seem dem babies grow!!!! LOL

Hap

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Sidney YOU have been so busy. What a transformation your empty plot has taken!! Great job. Soon you will have crowds of people unable too just walk on by........
Kin

Plan is to have prettiest yard on Tallulah Ave.!!! I love doing this and thanks everyone.
sidney

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Kudos to you! My goodness it looks somewhat like a figure '8'......the work is a labor of love, to be sure!

I can't wait to see it in person!!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

very beautiful. your bed might cause a few fender benders as car pass by. lol belinda

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Lovely Sidney!! Good for you!! I love it!!

:)

Susan

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

The famous (or infamous, either will apply) Jeremy chimes in to say what a pleasure it is to head out Tallulah Street toward I-95 and get to see Sidney's Park (and the space is large enough to designated a park!) coming along, growing more and more day by day, and adding so much beauty and interest to our neighborhood! I can't wait to see the finished product and especially will enjoy watching it develop and mature in the next few years. I am happy to have provided some labor to help make it happen.

I hope your pains and sprains heal quickly, Sidney. Call on me again if help is needed. The greatest benefit of subscribing to DG has been finding you as a friend. Amazing that in this day and age it takes the World Wide Web to introduce people with so many shared interests that are only a few blocks from each other, but I'm certainly glad that all of us garden fanatics have a chance to chat.

Sidney, years ago, I went out to the horse riding stable at the corner of Beaver St and Old Plank Road. I had an all organic vegetable garden at my old place out in Pickettville. I asked the managers at the horse riding stable if I could muck out some of their horse stalls for no compensation other than a big load of horse sh**. They were thrilled to have such gullible slave show up and told me to knock myself out with cleaning out the stalls. I filled the hatchback of my car with construction waste sized bags of manure and soiled hay and had a very aromatic ride home in the summer heat. I had constructed a layered compost pile following all the recommendations (now I just pile stuff up and let it rot). I added the hay and manure to the compost pile in layers and let it go to work. I had buried a candy thermometer on a long string in the middle of the compost pile. When I pulled the thermometer out a few days later, the pile was cooking along at about 130 degrees Farenheit! Lots of watering and labor to turn the pile every few days resulted in the richest soil amendments imaginable in only about 2 weeks.

Anyway, the point of this little anecdote is that I would very much like to make a return trip to the horse stables and spend another glorious day knee deep in equine waste and pitch it into bags to get another authentic compost pile going. We can use my old utility van with the 12 ft cargo space. With a morning's effort, we should be able to get enough manure to fire up some fantastic compost piles at both of our houses.

Just let me know when you have the time and are feeling up for the trip to the stables. Whom can we cajole or coerce into helping pitch the poop? I know Christina will tell me to FORGET IT, but maybe we can do a Tom Sawyer routine (with the white washing of the fence) and convince some of our acquaintances that this is a fun job, not to be missed??!!

Talk to you soon.

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Boy, I wish I were there......I even have years of experience of Poop Pitching....(had a horse)...I never did use his poop because I was told it was too strong....you mean I wasted something? oh dear, I may not recover...my motto is waste not......

I have never met sidney, but I too am so thankful for this site and the chance to meet her....she is special...

In fact, I have met so many that I would have never known and feel quite a companionship with....all in the heart stuff. It's wonderful. I think that we all can say what we feel and know that there will be no recriminations....we can truly be ourselves... That's what makes this so wonderful.

I thank you for helping sidney, Jeremy...she's great..

Nancy Lee

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Sidney, are you in pain?? Hope not!

Jeremy, I love horsey poo.. I use to go dig it out inot five gallon buckets and load it up inot the back of my husbands truck.

In GA we have a state published bulliten where agricultural types all come together and buyt and sell. I found a horse farmer who will load it for me into the back of the truck and I jsut shovel it out, instead of both ways! it's so much better that way. The stuff growing in the composted manure is excellent and the stuff groeing in the expensive soil I had delivered isn't as great at all.. I'm all for manure and think it really is golden. I'm due to for another load soon:)

Susan

I'll be home tuesday and can't wait to go poop diggin with you Jeremy. I have just the place to add it. Going to do some free cycleing and free-up morw "Black Gold" area.
You are all so sweet. DG is really a blessing and so are yall.
sidney

I once had some waist high wading boots, but I don't know where they went (maybe given up in a yard sale or stolen by a crack head friend I had the misfortune of knowing). They would have come in handy for our foray into the horse stables. Unless things have improved, the owners of the stables for horses to rent for short rides don't get around to cleaning out the stalls very often from what I saw on my visit several years ago.

Wow, SoulGarden! If I had someone to deliver horse poop to my doorstep I would be forever knee deep in it! My neighbors so far haven't made any comments to me about all my weird ways, but a huge pile of manure in my driveway once a week or so might put them over the edge. I'd be willing to try them though if I could find such an arrangement with a horse farmer. I did locate a chicken keeper out by the county line that offered me all the chicken crap I wanted, but we never made the arrangements to get it to me.

I found out the local tree trimming companies will bring dump truck loads of mulch and dump it free for me. I've had that done once or twice. They are happy to have a place to dump it because they otherwise have to pay the city by the pound to dump it at the yard waste recycling facility. The mulch came in very handy for covering over large areas after I had tilled them up to keep weeds from growing. I had enough mulch to do about a 4 inch layer. With the help of bacteria, fungus, earthworms and other critters, it eventually breaks down into good soil, too.

From what I recall from organic gardening suggestions, sheep poop is about the best to be had, followed by horse, cow, and the others. Chicken can be too "hot" (lots of nitrogen) and has to be composted for a longer time or used carefully so as not to burn up the plants.

Hey, Sidney -- We're only about a mile from the Zoo. How about an excursion for some elephant dung??!! I hear it is supposed to be about the best thing going!

Jeremy

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Be careful with the free stuff Jeremy. Many of those trees are removed due to termites and disease, neither of which you want to bring home.
Jan...

Well, I've already got a healthy supply of termites. I find them whenever I pick up any wood left around in the yard. They are doing their job of removing the fallen debris from trees and any lumber I'm dumb enough to leave in the dirt. Fortunately, my old house is a 1936 model made mostly of heart pine which the termites can't seem to sink their teeth into, and I think it was also saturated thoroughly with pesticides back before the ban on DDT and other chemicals. Even though I haven't yet contracted a termite company and I don't use any pesticides myself, palmetto bugs walk in the door, take about 10 steps, then flip onto their back and die soon afterwards. Makes me wonder what I'm breathing while living here, but I'm happy to be totally pest free in the house.

The garage, built later, was not so lucky. It had a small leak in the roof when I bought the house 3 years ago. It looked as though a couple of supporting beams and studs in the garage had termite damage. I finally got into repairing it back in January. I found that the entire east wall and all the rafters on that side were basically eaten up and were dust inside, but had what appeared to be good wood outside. So, I've been working at remodeling it as time and money allow since January and it is finally nearing completion.

Thanks, though, budgie, for pointing out the potential problems which I hadn't considered. One load of tree mulch I got was from my neighbors' house next door. They had a tree limb fall on a neighbor's garage, had to deal with an insurance settlement, over-reacted (I think) and had about 30 mature trees in their backyard taken out all at once! (about $15,000 in tree surgery!) The trees were all healthy, they just had a wild whim to get rid of them and apparently enough cash to throw away. I was grateful, though, for all the additional sunlight that made it into the part of my yard that is adjacent to their property.

The other load of mulch came from mostly palm trees that were being trimmed in front of our symphony hall where I had a part-time job for a while (a dreaded telemarketer, but for a good cause). The guys with the tree company were surprised I would take palm tree mulch because it doesn't grind up well, but because of that, it has held up longer than most mulch materials I've had, though it, like everything in our hot, humid climate, is breaking down into soil after about a year or so.

Taking the mulch without knowing where it came from would be a gamble, I imagine.

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Jeremy, about the horses in the stalls.......I am a horse lover and a former horse owner and that is unconsciousable.(sp) , can't spell, but you know what I mean....

The horse hooves will literally rot off.... If I had seen it, with my Irish temper, I would have called the SPCA...there is no reason for that at all....if it's bad enough, they will close them down, and fast... Don't let drdon hear about this!!!!!

As far as chicken poop, I love it..My son had a couple of chickens when he was little, (now he has 40) and when the spring came and we moved the winter coop, I put the poop on my garden where I was going to put a couple of vegies....Man, I had cucumbers coming out my ears..............But is was aged... On another thread someone was talking about someone selling boiled chicken poop for $30.00 for 10 pounds....Sounds like you could start your own business wtih all your connections...LOL

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Jeremy! You know what Hap is telling you could be a very good thing for you. We have 2 boys here in Oklahoma that are selling manure of all kinds on the internet and making a ton of money! LOL Makes me wish I had chickens, rabbits and horses! Might be something to think about!

If I lived further out in the country, I would certainly get some good pooping animals and go into the manure business as well as having it for my own garden. As it is, although I have about 1/2 acre for my yard and garden, I'm only about 2 miles from downtown Jacksonville and there would probably be complaints if I raised my own manure menagerie here.

I did have some free range bunnies for a while and got by with that. They were not supposed to be free range, but they defied any pen that I tried to keep them in and mostly stayed around in the yard for a month or two. They mostly ate the weeds, but also nibbled away at some of my plants. It was interesting to see what plants they enjoyed most. Euryops and Mexican Terragon were their absolute favorites. I figured they were making up what plants they ate by all the good manure they were leaving all over the yard. The kids in the neighborhood loved them and would come knock on my door to ask if they could see the bunnies. The bunnies began to venture further and further away until I didn't see them anymore. There were two males and one female that went off on their own to live. I expect to wake up to headlines some morning, "North Shore Area Overrun by Wild Rabbits!"

I would love to have a white male peacock, but they scream like banshees and that would probably not go over well with the neighbors.

Sidney has more of an assertive streak than do I, so maybe she will be the one to give the stable owners the dressing down they deserve if they (literally) haven't cleaned up their act. Though, we'll wait for that until we've loaded all the horse poop we can carry off, I hope. I've never taken care of a horse, so I don't know what all is involved in keeping them healthly. However, my instincts told me that it was not good for them to be housed in such a confined space with so much of their own waste.

We should start a Jeff Foxworthy type routine, but instead of "You know you are a redneck if....." we can have, "You know you are an avid gardener if..... you can spend several days happily discussing the pros and cons of various types of animal poop." Maybe a thread to start in the "Jokes" forum.

Jeremy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Too late Jeremy! LOL Look at this thread.....I think it is great. So many funny things happening to all these gardeners. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502671/

HA! HA! HA! HO! HO! Thanks, Brinda! I checked it out. I seldom laugh out loud at jokes, but there were several comments there that made me hoot!!

The constant dark half moons under the fingernails that can't be removed with any amount of citrus scrub is definitely one to which I can relate!

And... " when your kids tell friends on the phone that mommy is out hoing again...." really made me whoop! I marked the thread to watch so I can have a good laugh now and then.

Jeremy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yes Jeremy, it is a great thread. I've laughed many times and re-read it a lot. Happy you enjoyed it.

Last year we went through these two,
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453747/ and
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/469161/ .
They were both a lot of fun and a good read.
sidney

Modi'in, Israel

Sidney, updated pics please! :-)

-Julie

Well Julie, I was somewhat surprised when I returned to Jax last Thurs to find the new plants all well planted, but not really growing yet. I fertilized them last night and they are getting a good hard rain daily.
I have hopes of getting more in the ground before my BDGS and I return to North Carolina on wed,
The one area that seems to be established is the four river birches planted N,S, E, & W.
I'll post more pics while you sleep.
sidney

I've passed by Sidney's Park in my travels back and forth, and everything is looking great! By next summer, I'm sure it will be a spectacle of color, shapes, flowers, and greenery. I'm surprised anything could survive the deluges we've had daily for the past couple of weeks. I guess that one benefit of very sandy soil is that it drains quickly.

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

WARNING...WARNING...INVASIVE PLANT ALERT.....ALERT...ALERT...MR. ROBINSON......

My "Award Winning Coleus, as you remember is named Sidney" is invasive....it has scheduled itself to take over the plant....

I planted a couple of SMALL cutting in one SMAll garden and it took off, cutting off the sun and almost killing some "named varieties"...the upper class ones...heheh
I had to move the whole kit and kaboddle. It got hugh in no time at all....

Too bad it grows to tall or it would be the perfect ground cover....So,,, I have a 30" ground cover....for the sequoias I guess...LOL

Serious, when planted, Sidney, it will grow tall AND wide in no time.

It has a friend that lives next to it, a bird-transplant from next door. and that's no better....It must have got the idea from my Sidney. It too had to be moved from that small garden...

It's ok because I used Round-Up on a portion of my lawn next to the lake to put in another garden...The dodo that I am never thought about the slope and the run-off from the rains...Well, that garden is down to the coral rock...no soil left...plants are doing soso...I plan to redo the front of the house which is all chattahoche, (SP?) and put is around for stablilty....I put a little and it does not seem to run into the lake..Oh well, live and learn. Anyway, I put the two rebels there and they can take over as much and as fast as they want....In fact, they can do the whole shebang.....LOL I'd rather have two plants with lots of color than trying to grow diffenet ones with not much success and see a lot of rock that grow only weeds.....which they do.

Well, it's off to HD for my weekend fix....

Hap

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Wait Hap,
I need to give you my list!
Jan...

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Too bad, Jan, I have already left.....ehehehhe

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

WOW Sidney, that's a beautiful garden. Love the designs you made. Next year I want to do a few garden designs with my coleus. Already plotting for next summer and this ones in full swing. You are so very blessed to live in a warmer climate. Will your coleus live through out the winter?

Cathy

Modi'in, Israel

Sidney, sorry for such a delay and responding. Kids out of school for the summer and my time on DG is really limited now. I'm sure your plants are all just getting acclimatized. ALL of my Coleus just sat there for a good 2 months before I saw any growth on them at all this spring. Then the Kongs went crazy and the others finally started putting on some growth around the beginning of June. I bet in a few more weeks, those puppies will be wearing you out....you'll be out there pinching them back a good 5 hours a day! ;-)

-Julie

Yes i think so Julie, I had to get back to NC in a hurry so pictures didn't really get taken.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

All OK, sugar?

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Sugar, where are you now?

Mornin' Hap

Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

'Morning Miss P.

Sugar is in NC for a few days, important business called her away suddenly, but I will be keeping an eye on her garden plot as I pass by her house in my travels around our neighborhood.

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You're a good friend, Jeremy..

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yes you are Jeremy! If you decide to relocate....LOL.....Oklahoma isn't that far away! hehehhehehehe

I made a decision when I moved into my current house three years ago that this was my last move, EVER! I didn't think I owned much of anything until I started trying to find enough boxes, pack it all up, and borrow a friend's 20 ft flat bed trailer to move it all. Besides, I have everything here at my current property that I want want, especially the 1/2 acre of land that allows me all the room I currently need (though if I win the lottery, I would buy up all my neighbor's houses and expand my "botanical garden" to cover an entire city block or so). So, Sidney has dibs on me for "garden watchdog," and I appreciate that she has done the same for me. So, no Oklahoma in my future! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images