Here's the plot!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

But...but...you know that tornadoes are easier to deal with than hurricanes? LOL Kidding! You are a wonderful friend to Sugar and I know she really appreciates you!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes I do!!! And HANDS OFF! Had to leave in a rush and just ran by Jeremys and threw some Monkey grass at him. He's easy to find, always in the garden.
We are on very tight time restraints with my last little job, so I had to get back up here on Tuesday night.
I got a tension headache and got a motel room in SC about 10:30. Had a great drive in Yesterday Morning.
Thanks for watching out Jeremy. I put one of my "potions" on everything while I was home. I am looking for some real "Punch" out there when I get home.
sidney

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey, Sidney. (I would say "Hey, Sugar," but the rumors may start flying!) I'm amazed that with all the rain we had, day after day of deluges, my garden was dry as a chip today! I turned on the sprinklers late this afternoon when some things started to wilt already. I hope you left your sprinklers on. Your new plot is shaded enough that it should retain some moisture for a while.

I keep piling on tons of hay and leaves and other organic matter to try and retain some water in our sandy soil. It has worked in some areas where I applied the most leaves (the flowerbeds out by the curb), but other areas still dry up as soon as the sun comes out no matter how much rain or water I've applied. I think I should probably find out where to buy a barrel of those magic crystals you have to hold in moisture and work them into the entire yard! But it will probably take a whole new credit card for that project! LOL

The Edgewood exit off I-95 seems totally shut down now, day and night, due to the construction, so you may want to head back by way of Dunn Ave. to Main St. I'm not sure how long the work will continue at the Edgewood interchange, but I think the flashing signs said 7/15?

Jeremy

Geeze, that's a long time, thanks for the tip. I was amazed that the water stood on top of my newly tilled sand after I planted weeks ago. The front plot gets 3 mins eight times a day. Frank has been hitting the "manual" button an extra time everyday too.
I'll be home Sunday.
sidney

Hello all, I'm posting from Chicago, but got to dash through Jax and take a picture or two. Since I have paid outrageous prices to come on line from the Hyatt Hotel here I am downloading them fast!

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here is where the Mosaic Kongs, impatients and impomeas are planted.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

This is Happy's world record coleus and some impatients around one of the Brugs I got from Gracie (Grakay) who got them from Kell.
On the left is a green kong, some Jade Wizard and Butter Cream coleus.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here is another Brug, species unknown surrounded by a fairy ring of what I'm guessing are Carefree Mix coleus.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sidney, it's looking good!!!

Here are a variety of coleus and I have some hoeing and mulching to do when I get home.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

This "Neon" coleus just sings to my heart.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And another not quite as good focus. Thanks Nat, I just reviewed and saw your post.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

A different shot of my center area. This big ruffly coleus in the middle is interesting and unidentified. Has since been identified as 'Yalaha'.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2005 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed

This isn't in the "plot", but my side yard. Since I don't go to the Brug forum, this is my prettiest one in bloom.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oooooh Sidney :) Sooooo Pretty :) I love what you've done!! have fun up in Chicago! And I hear your going on a garden tour??

Susan

I need to drive by and take a look at our new community park! I've been going the back route down Pearl St since the I-95 exit has been closed, so I've missed the recent progress in the garden plot.

Thanks again, Sidney, for this welcome bit of beauty in our neighborhood!

Jeremy

If you want to hoe a little, LOL, my feelings wont be hurt.
sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sidney, everything looks wonderful!!

I must warn you, my babys are an unruley bunch and may take over the brug. I put some in a flower box, actually a wall planter, and they started to take over...I had to pull them out and put them down by the lake where they could do no harm. This year I am pulling them out of my main patch because they are taking over everything. A nice showing of a coleus is one thing, but rampant "taking over" is another. Shame, shame,on them....LOL

Get home safe.

Hap

Modi'in, Israel

Sidney, wow! How'd they grow up so fast! That's just "jaw dropping"!

-Julie

One of my favorite comments in the "You know you are a gardener if..." thread is the one that says "You know you are a gardener if your kid answers the phone and says, "No, Mommy is not available. She's out hoeing again."

My weeds are past hoeing. They are now at the machete level due to days spent indoors doing creative work and not out tending the garden. So many interests, so little time!

Jeremy

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

sugarweed, what a beautiful plot! I love those tall red coleus, they really stand out.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sidney, I can't believe how fast everything is growing! Pretty soon your plants will be reaching out and tripping unsuspecting joggers. LOL

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney,

Sure is an eye-catching sight! Yes, I saw that bloomin brug, and it is beautiful! All that good organic material has paid off!

Hope all your pains and aches have gone for good!

Gracie

Thanks everyone. I hope it's not knee deep in weeds when I get home.
8ftbed, Blaine came into town and took me out to Zion, Ill. yesterday. We had a great 16 hr day. Designed it to avoid heavy traffic in downtown Chicago.
We also went to Craig Bergmans and Milaegers in Wisconsin.
He has the most awsome garden and is just an absolutey great gardener. We had many tomatoes and berries straight out of the garden. I just can't say enough about how great the day was.
sidney

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sidney, I have just one word for you: PICTURES!! (please)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL...I will second that motion!!!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

psssst: sneak a peek at the Mumu garden walk thread in the brug forum. We had a late afternoon beer part.. I mean tea party and played dress-up. :)

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I need a tea party and it would be fun to play dress up!!

Sidney your plants are beautiful, better watch out for that world record coleus it might take over your brug, lol. Did hap give you her secret ingredient?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yup.....just love......it will take over the world..

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Love, that's the best ingredient!!

Blaine is the best, girls. I haven't had such a great time in years.
Tonight I'm going on the Achtectural Tour and Coleus snatchfest afterwards. LOL
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Dang Blaine.....You look good in overalls & mu'u mu'u's or just anything you are wearin'!!!

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Woo Hoo! Blaine you are a hottie!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

ahhh, she made it easy :)

here's for your compliments

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Blaine, your such a friendly lookin fellow :)

LOVE the sign :)

What is that growing on top of the .. would you call that a pergola??

On the left of the picture is that arch part of a green house? I'm wanting to create rose covered arches all along my front white fence. I want it to meet up with the posts which are 8 feet wide. I was thinking rebar, but don't know how the heck I'd bend it in a nice curved shape without just bending it in half. Any ideas?

Susan

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Susan,
That pic is out in front of Craig Bergman's country gardens. I'm not sure right off what he has over it but it may be trumpet vine. Sure, you could bend that rebar, starting with long pieces. I'd just find something sturdy and round to bend it around. Doing it slowly. Unless it's a newer part of town, you've probably got telephone poles around. I'd probably get someone to hold one end and be out flexing my steel around that pole. :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, there's a great big utility pole in my yard... thanks!

Susan

Soulgarden, have you thought about PVC pipe for your arches? It bends easily, is durable outdoors, and is a whole lot cheaper and handier to use than rebar. Once the roses cover the pipes, no one will know what the roses are growing on. I put in some noisette rambling/climbing roses on my entry gate arch a couple of years ago. They have now spread about 30 ft down the top of my hog wire fence. The roses are so full of leaves and branches that the trellis is totally hidden and the fence, I think, will someday also disappear completely. I'm considering covering one entire side of my two-story house with trellis and growing the noisette roses in order to have, at least partially, a "rose covered cottage."

If you wanted to disguise the pvc pipes prior to the roses reaching maturity, you can use some fast growing annual vines like morning glories or moon flowers to cover the pipes. Ipomoea coccinea grows VERY fast and is the only thing in my yard that the hummingbirds like, but in your climate (like mine) it would probably be self-seeding and may be difficult to eradicate once you had the roses at their peak of growth..

Jeremy

Susan, well that tour of Craig Bergmans was very inspiring to me.
I work with metal when I work and am seriously looking to do some metal sculptures for the garden. The ones a CBs are "Oweee" expensive, but that's something I can use my skills doing. To bend iron roundstock, which is what they used, just takes leverage and "heat". Use that pole and a propane torch.
You can also use copper pipe, but it should be gradually bent with a tool made for that. In this months Southern Living is a arbor made of wood and a roll of 3/4" copper tubing. I'll get the 500 some odd pictures I took last wed edited and post some of those.
Thanks again Blaine.
sidney

Well, Sugarweed, you've got to come down the block and teach me some welding and metal working skills. I would love to learn so I can make some of the garden sculptures in my head materialize. I certainly like the idea of copper pipe for Susan's arches more than my suggestion of PVC pipe. I bet teh copper would patina to a nice finish and be much more attractive.

Maybe we can start our own home-based business of doing our own version of garden sculptures at a much lower cost than the catalogs offer?! Another item to add to my endless "to do" list of unfinished/not-yet-started projects.

Jeremy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.