Here's the plot!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, weeding is the order of the day and planting some more coleus. A lady is opening a boutiqe on Lem Turner so I'll be fixing some goodies to go there.
I will get by soon Jeremy.
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jeremy, thanks for the idea :) My husband has all the free PVC I can use through his business. Thing is, I'm quite sure he wouldn't go for using it as arches, but it is certainly a great idea and I will have to keep that in mind for other garden uses. I too want to make a rose trellis on the side of my home, but I need to be careful about placing it to close to the exterior walls since I have wood and I would not want to cause a rotting problem once they got real full and grew up.

Sidney, I had no idea you worked with metal... Wanna come to Atlanta?? Just kidding! I wouldn't put you to work like that!! :) I had not considered copper... sure would keep the slugs off!!

Also, not being a math major in school, I have no idea how long the material would need to be to create a "pleasing height"-- taller than shorter, if the ends need to be 8 feet apart. I have a friend how graduated from GA Tech and she would know how to do the math :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Sidney, I know you started the, "you know your a garden nerd when".. from Jack Driskell.. Well, last night I was reading about the "earthbox" on DG and I had to keep my eyes open just to keep reading.. I went to bed thinking about earthboxes and how many I could make myself in the near future and I woke up thinking about earthboxes and how soon I could construct one!! I'm a gardening DORK!!! I starting talking to my husband about them and he said, if they are only $30, why don't you just buy one, and I said, no you don't understand, I could see myself owning about 20 of them real soon!! I just came online to print him up some info to see for himself.
:)

Susan

Where's the thread on Earthboxes?
The comfort level of a fence height trellis is 42". I'll do the math in a bit, know how, just have to remember, plus the arch would be half an oval if it were 96" x 42". I do think it would be beautiful done in copper which will go Verde if sanded, or cleaned upon completion.
Jeremy just called with a deal on coleus, just down the street.
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472214/
That one has 360 replies!!! I was going to print it out and sit on the couch and read it all when my printer told me it was going to be 96 pages long!!! ouch..

I did a search on DG for Earthbox and there has been a bit of discussion about them for sure.

I just finished reading through http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/473646/ maybe you know TPlant?? He's in Fl too.

I'd really like to do this soon... I'm just not sure if I should order one just to "get it" and then maybe try to make some on my own. The long thread has the link where you can get instructions on making your own.

:)

Susan

Tried to download these last night. Here is a 2' tall beauty I have no idea what the name is. I'd call it "Dancing Ruffles" if it were up to me. Has since been formally Identified as Yalaha
sidney

This message was edited Sep 5, 2005 2:35 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here is Happy's brug eating coleus, LOL. Itmakes such a pretty continuous mound that I'm just keeping it dead headed.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

I love the melody these plants sing to me.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

This is one of my favorites for sun. I have rooted a good 60 of these. Will be planting many in a new spot Tuesday.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, Sidney, those are all gorgeous!!

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I knew that coleus was going to eat up your brug, lol. What kind of soil do you have in FL? Must be great for coleus.

And one more for Georgiaclay, Jim, of the 'Festive Dance' I gave away at the Ga. plant swap. I have a brug surrounded with them and the really show their colors best in filtered shade.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Thanks Candy and Cathy,
I have good ole sand. The water just waves as it goes by at 55mph. I love the sand and I use Watersorb crystals in the bottom of the hole when I plant. It helps. My water bill has been outrageous, so I'm not watering as much and those crystals are great to hold the water for thirsty plants.
Any idea what the names are of those I haven't a clue on?
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't know that names, but they sure are pretty.. Does you brug get lots of sun? or is that a shade area?? Does it bloom in the shade?

Susan

Here's one more of a Brug with 'Festive Dancer' circleing her.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Susan I have 3 huge Live Oaks across the front of my property.
Everything gets a blast of sun sometime during the day.
So far I've had 6 bloom. Two flushed twice. I still can't get fragrance from them.
All of the last 5 pictures were taken after dark. You never know what you'll get when you push that shutterbutton.
sidney

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Sidney that is so pretty. Thanks for posting. I like all of them.

Thanks, Jim
sidney

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

keep doing that and you're gonna have me on a Coleus binge!!
pretty, pretty

(hmmm, I'm already planning on limbing up the cherry trees for brug planters underneath... might as well fill in with coleus)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sidney, say good-by to that brug....it's gonna be a gonner...Remember it's name......Sidney...

Hap

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Sugarweed you sure have some pretty coleus. Aren't you lucky to live where they grow to be small bushes. Your efforts certainly paid off.

Just say the word Blaine and I'll fill a shelf or two in your basement.
Actually I'm fixing a few shelves here for overwintering. Gonna put a timed water system on them if I have to leave. I can't stand not having them next year. They'll be in the dining room.
No basement here.
It's going to be a planting party maybe tomorrow or definately tuesday.
I am so relieaved to be home and not have any pending jaunts for awhile.
glad everybody likes them.
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I wish I could have a planting party here, but I'm thinking maybe I should build an arch instead.. it just keeps raining!!

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove

Love it Susan! Wanted to point out this swap to you
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/516592/
It's Due south of you me thinks and you could get off at Tifton and go to that neat plant place there.
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sidney :) I've looked at it and I'll really be pushing it going to that one AND the GA one the same month. It's a husband /childcare situation. I have to wait closer to the date. But I'll be at the GA one for sure :)

Susan

This message was edited Aug 8, 2005 12:12 AM

Here's a shot from this afternoon. I just love walking out the house now.
I need help here, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/538461/
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here's one more splash of color.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!!! :))

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

So pretty!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Lookin good, girlfriend....

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Sidney that is totally awesome :)

Great job!!

Janis

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney,

Vive la difference!! Beautiful!

Gracie

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

nice work sidney, the colors are outstanding!!!
shelly

Aw shucks folks,
Thanks
sidney

(Zone 9b)

Such great coleus pictures, Sidney. Gets me wanting it to be spring again and just starting out.

Blaine's pic is just great, he is so photogenic no matter what he has on!!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, Sugar, that is beautiful. You are so lucky to have that beauilful Fla.growing season.
I have posted all my coleus in My Diary - most are plants now, but if you want cuttings LMK

My daughter says they get stems as big around as your wrist. Hard to believe. Your thread has been most informative and I am sure we all relish your reports.

Thanks sweet lady.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

sugarweed--
I am interested in some of the coleus that will do well in sun or partial sun. Do you have any for trades?
Diane

Yes Diane, I do. They really do best though if they still get some shade everyday. Let me know which ones you like.
;)

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a fig tree that has total shade on one side and then moves around to filtered shade and partial sun on the other side. There is a red one above that you did not name (on Aug. 7th) and then there is one named "Neon" and another "Festive Dance". I like anything that's red, I guess. I'm getting ready to have surgery and have finished up my trades for now, so could I send you postage or do a delayed trade? I've enjoyed watching your plot grow and you've a lot of people interested in that, so I don't know what you might be interested in for a trade. Do you have flowers other places in your yard, too?
Diane

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.