Carol's Dahlias!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I took some more pics.
This picture is a seed/border dahlia with a godetia flower. I thought the combo was kind of good. Note the dark foliage on the dahlia.
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This picture is 'Lauren Michele'. It is a waterlily type and I really like it.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I got a better picture of 'Hulin's Carnival'.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

And another better pic of 'Jabberbox'.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Carol, your dahlias are lovely. Mine are just getting ready to open - I can hardly wait.

Is that a double godetia in the far left of your picture with the seedling dahlia? I have never seen a godetia that full. At first I thought it was a poppy but the leaves look like godetia leaves. It sure is a pretty combination of flowers.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, as I wrote in the post, it is a godetia flower. I guess you could call it a double godetia since they bloom so prolifically. I have grown godetias for years and I really like them. I either start seeds in my work greenhouse and also throw out some seeds on the ground. They do reseed them self nicely too. But not too heavy like some other plants.
Thanks for your comments.
Will look forward to see your dahlias from OH.
Carol

Eugene, OR

Carol, Those dahlias are beautiful. I hope mine turn out that pretty. Some of mine are beginning to open finally too. If you'd like to see them talk to Mendy and see when she is going to bring some name tags down to Eugene and, if it fits your schedule, you are welcome too. That way I can pick both your brains.
Chad

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Chad,
Mendy did talk about seeing you soon to bring you the metal labels we all ordered together. I stopped by last week and looked her dahlias plus to get my metal labels too.
I just might do that, visit your garden this summer. Tell her that we can come together if it works out.
Thanks for looking at my dahlias. I am sure yours will look as pretty. My dahlias from Mendy which came from Lenjo (Joann) are just starting to open up now. So yours should be too soon.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

When I lived in the Seattle area I grew a lot of godetias. I have a difficult time growing them here. We can get a killing frost as late as May 18 and yet temperatures can zoom to the 80's even in April. Godetias really struggle with the temperature extremes. I always have to start them inside and hope it will stay relatively cool towards the end of May after I plant them out. **sigh** It never does.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

NoH2O,
You know, my neighbor threw out some seeds last fall and they grew wonderfully this year. I am going to try that this fall. I don't know if it would help you to do that but I think they don't mind the cold treatment. Tho in OH you guys are very cold in the winter.
I am originally from Seattle. Love that city and miss it.
Yes, Godetias don't like it when the weather changes. Especially when it gets hot and then they really like their water, I have found out.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, we get a lot colder here in zone 5b. I think the record low (not counting wind chill) is -30 but the average winter has lows between -10 and -20. We usually have a few days in the 70's in January and some nights in the teens in April or early May. It is really hard on plants that like a long slow steady cool spring.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Mwaaaahahaaaa.....I am lurking here reading your conversation, Carol and Chad! ;-) Carol, you have mail! :-)

New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

They are all beautiful

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I have something interesting to show all.
In the picture here and the following is Hulin's Carnival. I have already posted 1 pic of it but I found some defect with this flower and wanted to share it.
This picture shows a normal Hulin's Carnival bloom.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, This one was taken on July 19th. Same plant, same tuber, same etc.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

The same bloom on July 20th.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2005 7:48 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Same bloom on July 21st.
Sorry if the pics aren't too clear, keeps being windy here to take pics.

Anyways, why, why, is this happening? Is so strange. This tuber was left overwinter so...
Any answers from a dahlia expert???

Is kind of cool but...
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I wish MY defects were as gorgeous......

I wish mine were too! ;-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Pink Orchid has done this for me. Not quite as spectacularly though. This is really cool, Carol.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I was trying to get 'French Doll' but 'Frizzy Lizzy' and 'Fire Magic' wanted in the picture too, lol.
French Doll is a pretty apricot yellow one that goes well with the purple Frizzy Lizzy and red Fire Magic.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I got a 'Pooh' just like everyone else does. Mine seems to be kind of slow this year and the blooms aren't real big yet.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This dahlia was to be a purple and white pom and pom. Guess it wasn't labeled right. It is kind of different on how it opens up. It looks funny opening up, meaning it looks like someone cuts its hair, but when it is fully opened, it looks nice.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Since Mendy posted a picture of a dahlia bouquet before I could, I am just going to do mine anyways.
The one tall flower is peruvian lily tho.
I love to make bouquets with all kinds of flowers as long as I can. They are so pretty in the house.
Hope everyone is enjoying the pictures of the dahlias. I still have tons left that still haven't even started to bloom yet!
Carol

Carol, I really love the color of 'Frizzy Lizzy'! I'm glad you posted your bouquet pic too. It's beautiful! :-)

Eugene, OR

They are all beautiful, Carol. I'm going out right now to photograph Purple Gem becasue the sun should back light it perfectly at this time.
Chad

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is 'Jura'. It is small but has very distinct coloring.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Hee Haugh' is my more or less 1st catus type. It is a different orange/apricot color.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Lady Linda' is just peeking thru its leaves. Some of these dahlias are hard to take pictures of when they are facing the sun.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This big yellow dinnerplate sure is hard to take a pic of. I am only 5' tall and this one is at least 4 1/2' or more and the bloom is facing upward.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Patty Cake' is a pretty small water lily type.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This guy was mislabeled by the person I received it from.
I think this a dinnerplate called 'Sparticus'. But will know more later when another one blooms.

Edited to say this is 'Sparticus'. I had the another plant that had the correct tag on it. I received a few tubers from gardeners and they didn't mark the plants right I am finding out. Is kind of interesting to see that.
This one is up for trade later. Is too big for me. It is a huge dinnerplate dahlia.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2005 10:17 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Purple Imp'? The tag says PlayBoy but that one is a yellow one. So... Need to dig deeper. According to my map, it is PI.

Edited to say I found out that this is 'Purple Imp', guess 'Playboy' didn't come up.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2005 10:06 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This dahlia came from Home Depot last year. I have 'Rosellia' on the tag, so... Am not sure what the real name is yet. But is a pretty purple/lavender flower. The dig. camera doesn't do justice.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

"Thomas Edison' is hard to take a pic of. It is so down low on the stalk and was kind of dark when I took the pic. This dahlia hasn't grown very tall for me, has only a few blooms on the bush for some reason, and I am not sure if it doesn't get enough light?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

YOu have lots of bloom, I am getting more and more all the time.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya daisyruffles,

Your flowers are fabulous!!, what an amazing collection. If you're planning to dig and send Marie Schnugg to the compost heap send me a dmail. You've got some of the coolest colors!

envious,
don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, Joann, I am getting more and more blooms too, each day. Finally!

DrDon, Thanks for your nice comments.

I still have lots more coming! It has finally warmed up so... They do like the heat and water tho.

My dahlias are finally coming along tho they are getting sunburned more than last year for some reason. I talked to a dahlia grower at the Farmers Market this morning and she said that she is having a terrible time with sunburn too. Especially with the whites and red colors blooms.

Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I am finally getting more dahlias blooming from both planting last year and this spring.
This one is 'Ali Oop'. It didn't bloom last year but is kind of a pretty red pom-pom type. A short plant tho.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

The main flowers in this picture is what the guy I received the tubers from this spring called 'Big Lavender'. He didn't know the name of it. I think it is very pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.