Carol's Dahlias!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Buffie G.' and I am not too keen on this one. The bloom is very small, tho the colors are very pretty. So is up for trading in the fall.

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Danjo Doc' and I received this from a DG person in a trade. Is a different red and not bad looking.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is a much better picture of 'Purple Imp' and I like the color.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is 'Rip City' which I am assuming someone named it after the city of Portland, from the basketball team, more or less. I thought it would be bigger but is a very dark red. This is in a whiskey barrel with 2 other dahlias since I ran out of room in the ground for all the many tubers.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Daisy, I like 'Buffie G' so keep me in mind for a trade. :^)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Okey dokey, NoH2o, will write that down. It may not be big right now since it is the first year for me, but...
Let me know this fall like 1st of Nov or later.
Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This guy is a very small plant. It is called 'Rothsay Superb'. It is too small for my dahlia bed so this one is up for trading later too. I guess I could move it to another area but it doesn't suit me.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I will put it on my calendar. I have about 20 dahlias growing now and they are just getting ready to bloom....maybe I will have a dahlia you would like, or something else. I will be posting pictures as they open up.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Great, I would love to see what you have in your garden. I LOVE dahlia pics!
Thanks.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here are some pictures of how the dahlias are planted in one of my dahlia beds. You see on the right corner, the yellow one is 'Lady Linda' and the pink/lav. is the 'Big Lav.'

The field behind is to have a fence put up someday, like this summer?, by the neighbor so I can tie up my raspberries and put some climbing perennial plants on it, lol.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A bunch of different dahlias that have been blooming for a bit.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahhhh, your dahlias are gorgeous. How much property do you have?

When I lived in the Seattle area I let my dahlias winter over in the ground. They usually made it through just fine. Here it gets waaaayyy too cold to do that so I have to store them in the garage. I start them well ahead of our last frost date (mid-May) to give them a head start but even so I can't transplant them until the ground warms up. This spring was exceptionally cold. It snowed all day the last Sunday in April. So I was even later than usual getting them in the ground and then they just sat there for a long time. I think they were trying to decide whether to live or die. LOL They are finally taking off now and most have budded but there are a few who are still making up their minds.

We are also having an especially warm summer (26 days of 89 or above and counting) and have had almost no rain. It doesn't help. But the worst thing is the cucumber beetles. They are really bad this year and eat holes in all the petals. I think they feed at night as well as in the day. GRRRRRR.

I guess if it ain't one thing it's another.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL!
You sound just like me.
It was a very cold wet spring/early summer here too.
I have lots of cucumber beetles too and am not happy about that. Is very hard to take good pics without holes in the petals, lol!
The dahlias in the bed that were overwintered are doing ok. They aren't as robust as last year and it may be due to lack of water. I put in a drip system and found out that I don't have much water pressure so is hard to get the dahlias the water they like.
The new bed for dahlias, I had to dig out the horrible, horrible clay down 3' and 3' wide. What a job! But I needed more room for all the dahlia tubers I received!
I only have less than 1/4 acre but love my dahlias. I cram plants in everywhere!
My grandfather grew them so I fell in love with them as a child.
Thanks for your response on my dahlias. I am very proud of them just like my kids, lol!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Now I finally got a few pics taken this morning.
It has been too windy later in the morning!
This one is 'Hissy Fritz'. It is a different type of yellow but not bad.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Chilson's Pride'. I thought it was going to be a bigger bloom and plant. But it isn't and I don't mind that. The end of the petals are notched so it is different looking than most dahlias.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Crazy Legs' is a small bloom but has two different colors in it. Red and yellow mixed.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

When I received this one, it was labeled 'Buffie G.' and that sure isn't what it is! lol
It is a large dinnerplate type and so far, a short plant tho.
It up for trade.
I am putting people's name on flagging and attaching it to the base of the plant, so when I go to dig them this late fall, I will know who gets it.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, Hissy Fitz, no R. Just so you have the official name. Buffie G and Rothsay Superb, I think of both of them as pompons. Rothsay Superb ordinarily is a large bush. You know a lot of my dahlia bushes are so wimpy this year. I just wonder if it has something to do with our weather. First so wet for so long and now it is really been warm for quite a long time. I can't believe how small a lot of my plants are this year. You will see soon enough. My Seattle, Starlite, Canby Centenniel, Swan's Glory, to name just a few are just sitting there. I went out and talked to them yesterday and told them the roundup was coming and they needed to really be on their best behavior; like you better get growing. LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

"Summer End' sure is a pretty soft color. I have it in several place in the yard and I really like it.
I have one for trade because it is in my veg. garden and it will be dug when I put in compost to mix in with the existing soil.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya daisyruffles,

That's really lovely. It's a great color and shape. You really do have some superb selections.

best,
don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Don, Thanks.
I have more pics to take but... is too windy! Plus, have you ever noticed that the flowers always face away from the sun, so taking pic are going into the sun. AARRGGG!
So I do have lots more to post but... Maybe someday! Guess I should get my 17 year old out there and hold them, but yeah, right! That is the last thing he wants to do. lol
Carol

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, don't know how that labeling mixup happened....mine is labled right. Sorry about that. So far, the only one that I have that looks like that is Clint's Climax and it's one that I bought in the co-op. You sure have some pretty ones. :-)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Mendy, no, remember I got some from other people too. But it can happen when being brought in from the field, etc. But I am hoping to get them properly named soon.

Joann, Thanks for the "r" point. I needed to look at my named list and was too lazy too.
You know, I am kind of glad that I am not the only one with small, wimpy plants. I thought it was because I wasn't watering enough. My "Rothsay Superb" is only like 1 1/2' tall and it gets full sun, so... The tubers that I planted from you (Mendy) and later ones from others are still very small. Some are taller like 3' but nothing like last year. So am glad that it isn't me. I was thinking that maybe I should leave them in the ground.
I talked to a dahlia farm grower and told me to fertilize them. So I am going to do that when it cools down tonight or in the morn. You could try that too. Low N fert. tho. They suggest like bloom booster fert.
Am looking forward to seeing all your dahlias in a few weeks at the NW RU.
Later, Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, I was thinking fertilizer too. I would probably just use a granular that we use on the farm but then I would need to water it in. I need to do some staking too. I have a variety called Peaches that was just awesome last year and it is so wimpy too. I am almost ashamed for you guys to see my dahlias.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Clint's Climax?

Is that legal?....lol.

type that on a google search and see if a dahlia comes up...lol, I don't think so.

The good, the bad, the ugly, and the ....don

LOL, Don! I wondered about that name too when I saw it. Think I'll pass on the google search though! ;-)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, guys, I finally fertilize my dahlias the other day. So I hope that will help them survive until Nov.
I am getting more of my later planted dahlias blooming. But the darn wind keeps coming up when I want to take pics around 11-12 noon.
Plus some of the dahlias are so tall like Doss that it is hard to take pictures.
So here is 'Wild Cat'. I ended up planting some of these so late in the front flower bed with annuals. I ran out of room but couldn't throw out any tubers so planted everyone of them wherever I could, lol.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Patricia' and it has very pretty colors in it to use the flowers in bouquets.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Reddy' from Lenjo, Joann. It is a short border dahlia. As you can see, it is kind of crammed in with the other annuals like the 'Wild Cat'. Plant late too. Will have to move it in the fall to a better home tho.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Taboo' from Lenjo also, is just opening up. Couldn't resist a pic of it now since it wasn't windy. Is a nice color. Late planted also.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This picture is of a dahlia that I got from Home Depot last year. It is too big and gaudy for the bed it is in and I don't care for it. So is up for a trade this fall.

Edit to say I posted the wrong picture. This is a dahlia that I also got from Home Depot and I do like it for bouquets. The yellow colors are different.
I will post the right picture next.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2005 10:38 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

These are the orange ones that I was talking about above. Up for a trade this fall.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Pink Princess' that I took earlier in the summer. I forgot to post it. I have quite a few of these for some reason. Have them in the front and back yard and they bloom very heavily.

Carol, that last pic is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, I had posted before about 'Sparticus' and I was right. This is the huge and I mean huge dinnerplate, 'Sparticus'. I knew it was to be big but didn't realize that both the height and flower would be so large. As you can see, I am looking up at it.
I put it at the end of the bed and am glad that I did.
I am not too keen on this one but it is fine for the end of the dahlia bed, I guess. I do have one in the front yard that I may dig up this late fall, tho.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Mendy,
Here's another bigger pic of 'Pink Princess'.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Carol, I think I need to come visit your house. Your gardens look lovely.
Your post of Wildcat does not look like my Wildcat. It is yellow with red tips, a cactus almost I believe. It almost looks like Summer's End.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Carol, does it ever end? August must be such a beautiful month at your house and September even better. You have so many really beautiful and varied cultivars. YUM!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss,
Nope, it won't end until November here for my dahlias.
But I need to get out there and deadhead them. Have been so busy at work and trying to build a deck (or shall I say, I am doing the site prep and my son is going to build it).

But thanks. I do like different ones tho my overall favorites still are the waterlily types.

Joann, you can always come visit but would be kind of embarrassed because my yard is so small compared to yours.

Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, today I get to show you what my main dahlia bed looks like.
But first, ignore the lawn. The story on this is: I work for a grass seed company, keep that in mind. I seeded the lawn last fall and it went thru the winter just fine and looked great. Then this spring, I started to notice these stiff seed heads on the lawn. I then found out that it is bulbous (sp?) bluegrass. Which has bulbs (kind of like rhizomes) on the roots AND seed heads that spread rapidly. It must have come in with the new soil that the guy I had level the area. I had it all sprayed, weed-free for months, and then THIS!
So I have to redo it next spring.

Anyways, this raised dahlia bed was put in spring of 2004. Yes, I know they are too close together but... I LOVE my dahlias.
Up in the right corner is the edge of the property with another dahlia bed going the opposite direction.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.