Carol's Dahlias!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This shows it all a little closer.

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is even a closer look!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Gay Princess' and it seems to have some very short stems. So short that the blooms look almost double. Will have to see how they look later with the plant in full bloom.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

wow Carol, I can't even go thru half the thread without racing right down here to reply! You have such a marvelous array of beauties! I still mourn my loss to rot of Wicky Woo- it's so pretty. And that orange seed dahlia with about 1000 blooms on it- what did you feed it? Never have I seen one plant with so many blooms! Clearly it is delirious with glee to be in your garden. I would be too with so many blooms to study.

Now, back to the thread... I will only add that I gave away my Emory Paul- too big for a bouquet and very, very slow to bloom here, like Mid September for me, but still a very impressive whopper flower.
Congratulations and enjoy all your gorgeous blooms Carol.
Pooch

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is a closer look of 'Rosellia' and I just love the blooms. They seem to last so long on the plants!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Poo, thanks.
That orange one was just a seed dahlia that I grew last year and saved the tuber. Had dug it up since it was in the way in the garden. Just decide to throw it in somewhere and didn't realize that it would get so big and so prolific. Am curious on how many tubers it will have. I may dig it up this year too since it is on the end of the border and could freeze.
So if you want to trade this fall, just let me know.
My 'Emory Paul' for some reason was one of the first ones to bloom this year. But the problem with it is, it isn't in the right place according to my map so... Am not sure how it ended up there. It was in the back of the row and now in the front.
I may have another 'Wicky Woo' to trade. Will have to wait and see.
Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This guy is HUGE! And it isn't even fully opened yet. It wasn't too windy today, so I wanted to get some pics taken.
This is 'Prime Minister'. For some reason tho, it is to be at least 4-5' tall and is only about 3' tall. But it got planted late this spring.
Am not sure if I like it so will have to see.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann (Lenjo),
This is another pic of 'Wild Cat'. I looked up the pic online and see that it is to be much more red on the tips. Mine is coming along but... This one also seems to have short stems and almost double looking blooms.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Who Dun It'.
It isn't opened all the way. The dahlia is in my veg. garden. I didn't have any places left to put it so it ended up here.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Now I have found something out.
The post above for the 'Big Lavender' isn't the right one.
This picture is. I received this tuber from an older man here in town with the 45 years old tubers so he must have marked the above post wrong. Will have to go to his place and get the right name because I do love it.
This is the real mcoy, 'Big Lavender' and it looks like it will be huge.
In the back of the dahlia is a pink Lobelia cardinal. To the left is gazania, and to the right is strawflower with a yellow seed/border dahlia.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is 'Ted's Choice' from Joann (Lenjo).

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hold the phone, Carol! Back up to Big Lavender and please tell me what those upright, vertical deep pink beauties are! Are those the gazania? Can you make a cut flower out of them? They are very appealing to me, always looking for vertical blooms for height in a bouquet.

Thanks,
Annie/pooch

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

No, Poo, the tall vertical pinkies are the Lobelia cardinals. I have them in red, purple, 2 shades of pinks and just love them. I haven't cut them for bouquets yet. Don't have enough blooms to do that yet.
I will probably be dividing this pink one next fall, 2006. So if you are still around you can have some.
The gazania are on the left which are an annual tho I have been able to overwinter them here so far.
You are funny, Poo. Love the way you write!
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

HI Carol, that Rosellia is awesome. You better save all the tubers you can get from that one. Don't you just love Ted's Choice? He is in my top ten. I can't begin to decide my favorite so I have my top ten. He definitely ranks up there in that list. I hate to sound like an old broken record Carol, my dear, but that just isn't Wildcat. I don't have that one you post as Wildcat at all. It is a beauty. Carol, I am trying to talk Poochella into coming to visit next Saturday. Help me persuade her.

Annie, if you like upright I am hoping people who come to the potluck will help me by taking some liatris off my hands. I have that in white and lavendar. It grows from a kind of bulb almost. This is liatris.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

If you can't make it to the roundup, Poochella,I will be happy to send you some bulbs. Joann

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Just amazing selections daisyruffles. I can't begin to tell you guys how incredible some of your flowers are. What an inspiring forum this has become.

don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann,
Guess I will have to do some research on the 'Wild Cat', huh? It is nice looking anyways. I would like a name for it tho because I threw it in the flower bed that I have in the front yard by my front door and this is where I have my annuals and daff. bulbs. It was a last min. planting due to not knowing where to plant all the tubers, lol. I will be having to dig it up is why I would like the name to trade/share. But ...
I would love some of the liatris so save some for me!
I have written Poo/Annie trying to get her to come to the NW RU!

Drdon, as always, you have the nicest things to say. THANKS! I am enjoying the dahlias more and more as the weather has finally cooled down and the flowers aren't so sunburned.
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

ABsolutely Carol , there will be some liatris for you, purple and white.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya daisyruffles,

I just go through these photos and marvel at the variability of these flowers and if anyone wants to know why I am so excited for all of the dahlia collectors in this forum, just start here at Carol's, then go to Lenjo's, then doss', and now Poochella's.......wow, you guys really know how to get a pedestrian like me all lathered up....lol.

No hyperbole, you guys really are GROWERS, that's very cool.

best,
don

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

DaisyRuffles - what a beautiful collection! You and Poochella will have lots to trade and talk about!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Right you are Mvespa- and let's talk about that offer of a tall pink lobelia division right now! Carol- please put me down as 'very highly interested LOL." I have another white tall lobelia that I use for verticals in bouquets and love them. I appreciate the info and the offer.

My you people really are nice! Lenjo-joann I adore Liatris and was just regretting that I had to cut my last one this week. I started with a bag from Costco years ago- purple and whites. Shared them with a gardener from work and he got all the whites! You couldn't tell the color by looking at the bulbs/corms, whatever they are. I would love to take you up on your offer when the time comes. either purples or whites. If you see any dahlias you want, email me so I can get you on the wish list.

I couldn't recall if you were the one who invited me to NWRU, but I did get carol's mail. Unfortunately, I am going to Spokane over Labor Day, but I am a frecuent flyer at the US Postal Service, so mailing would work too. Please put me down as interested in Liatris. And let me know how you divide the bulbs, if they are dividable.
Thanks!
Annie

I have to check out the potluck date. Is that different than NW RU?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

The pot-luck is also labor day weekend.....that is part of the RU.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL, Annie!
Sure, when I divide that beautiful lobelia, I will give you a piece.
When I get home (is break time here at work), I will send you a picture of another darker pink lobelia. It is gorgeous color. That will make you drool for sure.
Yes, I do agree that most people here on DG are very nice.
Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, Joann,
Is this a better pic of 'Wild Cat'?
It is much redder on the tips now.
So is this now 'Wild Cat? Or is it still something else?
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Nope, that is Wildcat.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, Carol. I am blown away. I can see that there is a reason that a lot of growers are in Oregon. Do you just sit in wonder (when you aren't prepping the deck) at the beauty of them all. You have quite a collection. I do have a wild cat. I'll try to photo it tomorrow since you think that yours looks a little different. Papageno is fabulous. A 3 year old came over and I gave him one and he enjoyed it thoroughly. Wore it as a hat and walked around with it in his hands. Cute.

It's just too blamed hot right now. They get heat stressed and really flaked out here. And then no rain. I've finally got a soaker hose through them so maybe that will help. I sure hope so. Soaked them for about 20 minutes a couple of days ago. They still wilt in the heat sometimes. But two are blooming in almost total shade. Go figure.
I was very surprised that Chilson's Pride when I first saw it. There is nothing else like it though.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss, You bet. My son just finished build a deck for me last week. So I have sat in my chair, drinking a soft drink, and just gazing at my gardens, especially my dahlias.
That 'Papageno' is huge and that must have been cute to see on the boy's head, lol.
Yes, the heat take a big toll on the dahlias. We haven't had the usual heat except a spell awhile ago. It usually gets hotter here in the valley. But I don't mind. I don't have to water so much then.
I have realized that I do have quite a collection and variety of types. Is interesting to the different types and fall in love with certain ones.
Thanks for your comments. Too bad you can't join us this weekend at Swan Island Dahlias for the NW RU. I am really looking forward to seeing all the different dahlias.
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.