Anyone for a Houston 'Nursery Date'?

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

With the San Antonio 'Nursery Date' a huge success and the Austin 'Nursery Date' in the not too distant future, sights have turned to the Houston area http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/522178/ .

September 17, 2006 is the date.

Anybody interested?

This message was edited Aug 9, 2005 3:53 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

If September, I would prefer as late as possibe, to try for as cool as possible.

Also, I would like to highly recommend a Houston area nursery for the morning. My favorite nursery is The Arbor Gate in Tomball. I was talking to someone there yesterday about our nursery dates, and that I'd like to get a lot of DG'ers there. The owner was at market, but the girl I was talking to said that they have groups there all the time. If we wanted, they could provide box lunches for us (around $6 or $7) with a choice of pasta salad or something else. Anyway, I can get the particulars when Beverly is back, but if it's okay with everyone else, I thought maybe we could do that in the morning, have luch at our leisure (they have a gazebo for us to eat in the shade), and then head on to the next place.

Just a suggestion.

I hope to be going to Albuquerque the last week of Sept so the latest I would be able to do a Houston date would be the 17th.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

That sounds reasonable - most people will be getting over the "back to school blues", not so late in the month that I'd be completely poor. :-)

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm with Mary. By September, I'll be ready for a cool nursery date. The box lunch idea sounds great. It gives us more time to sit and visit.

Spring, TX(Zone 9b)

September at Arbor Gate is great.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi! *wave* I'm new around here so I hope it is okay to join in on a nursery date. I'm always looking for an excuse (haha...like I need one) to hit the nursery. Arbor Gate in September sounds wonderful!

Kimberly

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

If I can get a ride I would love to.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Dallas, TX

Oh it sound so wonderful ..would love to meet you guys ...especially you Maggie:) ...but ... I AM OUT OF CONTROL ... I cant buy another plant! I dont even go to the Home Depot for soil anymore ... I send someone. If I see a plant and I love it ...I am going to buy it! also i got plants coming in the mail every other day it seems... I dont even remember what I have on order ... plants coming up I thought were gone....and I dont have any space left. lol
next time for sure ....you guys do understand ...dont you? :(
Sylvia

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvia, I well understand that disease! But I do love to window shop, and I almost consider it a "hunt" to find what plants I like that will work in certain places (it helps to keep me from buying... sometimes.) I always take my camera, and I take pictures of the plants I'm really interested in, and a picture of the information. Later, I can cruise my virtual catalogue and decide what I really want, so I can buy it when I have the money.

What I really like about cruising nurseries is looking at any display gardens or containers they have, or garden art, for ideas & inspiration (again, plenty of pictures.) And the Nursery Dates are all about meeting and yakking with fellow DG'ers!

Come on, Sylvia... You know you want to... I won't let you buy anything... (Woa, sounds really evil, doesn't it?)

No, I won't be the evil temptress, but I do volunteer to keep you from buying anything if you find you can make it!

:-)

Sylvia,

I, too, can completely relate to what you write and I would be more than happy to help make that a day of simply visiting. We could support each other in walking the straight and narrow. ;->

Dallas, TX

OK OK ...I will try..when is it? you guys are incorrigible! lol
Sylvia

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I think we've decided on Sept 17th. First nursery The Arbor Gate in Tomball.

What time you guys?

Sylivia, we are incorrigible, but we're cute! ;-)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I haved marked my calendar for Sep 17th. Count me in!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I will check my calendar and see if we have anything going on. Sounds good. Where else besides Arbor Gate can you guys think of?

Sheila

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Well..maybe a visit to Jerry's Jungle in Houston which is by appointment only..off I-45 by Greenspoint..I can ask him if he will open his gardens for us to visit..
Most of these are in the Heights area of Houston.
Joshua's
Another Place in Time
Buchanan's
Maas Nursery..-Seabrook
Cactus King -off I-45 south
Hope some of these do help...

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

The only nurseries in Houston I've been to are Another Place in Time, Buchanan's, and Jim's Backyard Nursery, all in the Heights area. I like all of them, but I wonder about parking.

Let's not forget that Houston is a nightmare to get around. Therefore, we should pick 2-3 places to visit in the general area; be it on the north side, or south (towards galveston) or the heights. If we don't do it this way, we'll spend 1/2 time just getting around this crazy town, my town, the one I love.

The heights area would be good because there are more places sort of close together.

Then again, Jerry's Jungle is incredible and I haven't been to places on the north side, like Arbor gate.

And towards Galveston way is Maas, which is also super, though kinda pricey.

So many places, so little time...

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree, we need to keep travel/traffic in mind. We probably should do several Nursery Dates for Houston to be able to cover different areas (that would be a real shame, wouldn't it?) :-) Anyway, they could be spaced out.

Since it looks like Arbor Gate is the first stop, then lunch, I think the afternoon should be either north or central Houston. As Nery says, there are several close together in the Heights area, so maybe one or two there? Keep in mind that getting everybody in cars and moving from one spot to the next takes time (especially when you're looking for parking), so we don't want to try to go too many places in one day. We'll all be yakkety-yakking, so the nurseries won't be just a quick walk-through.

What do you think? Does Arbor Gate, box lunch there, then The Heights sound alright?

yep, Maggie, that sounds good. Somebody that lives in the Heights or is familiar w/ area please speak up. The couple of times I have been there in the last 6 months was a real nightmare because there is a lot up road upgrading going on there. I'm sure someone that knows the area could guide us so that we're not stuck in traffic. I don't know the Heights area. There are so many wonderful places to go visit there.

PS: There is a lady in Spring (north) whose EBAY store is Butterflies by Robin, she has all kinds of interesting plants and I believe a number of DGers have bought her stuff. If there is interest , I volunteer to send her an email to see if she could handle a crowd. Interested parties can ck her ebay store and see if she has stuff you're interested in.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

This sounds like fun. Can I come too? Jenny

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My favorite nursery is Maas.
Patti

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Jenny, absolutely!!

Patti, I've never been to Maas, have heard of it for ages. Isn't it pretty far south? Maybe we should do another Houston Nursery date in the southern area. We don't have anything scheduled for October, and that should be very pleasant weather. Do you know anyone there very well (is the owner John Maas?) Wonder if they would do anything special for a group of us, and maybe we could call it in to Randy Lemon's garden show (I think Maas is a sponsor.)

Dallas, TX

Tell something..Is everybody driving to Houston? I dont know anything about Houston and have never drove that distance by myself. Another thing I am old! ..and I get lost very easy! I know I sound like an A-- but I am terrified! LMAO!
I think maybe I should rent a car ...Ruby got a bad Cv joint! lol
Sylvia

This message was edited Jun 27, 2005 8:17 PM

Dallas, TX

...me and Ruby :)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Listen Sylvia, you have to be younger than me, but not living in Houston is reason enough to be afraid of driving in it, lol! I'm on your way in (I-45), why don't we meet and you can ride with me? It will be better to take fewer cars anyway, just for the parking.

Dallas, TX

WHEW! Thank you Maggie that will work! :) This will be a great way to celebrate my birthday weekend.;)
Sylvia

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Maas is the best I have seen. It could easily be an all day visit.
trois

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvia, birthday weekend!! We'll definitely help you celebrate it!

trois, what do you think about an all-day Maas trip in October?

Note: Let me be the first to say that I recognize not everyone can go to everything, but maybe someone who has a schedule conflict with one event can go to another (if there's enough interest.) I basically depend on gardening and these get-together's to "detoxify" from work. And I don't have children at home, or a husband to look after (or to look after me.)

This message was edited Jun 28, 2005 11:55 AM

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I think it would be a good idea. I will see if I can contact the right people there. It is near Kemah, and the drive off Hiway 146 to the nursery is along the North edge of Galveston Bay.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone; I would love to join in, meeting people in my area that are plant addicts like me! However I don't have transportation. So I would have to impose on someone's generosity for that. I could pay for gas! I also think Garden Gate is fantastic! I have been to Buchanans too, and it was great, Another place in Time is cool too. But it has been over a year since I went to any of those. My best friend does not like gardening that much, so she is not up to going to nurseries like me. Let me know, if not thanks anyway.
Happy gardening!
rose-petalzz(Ruby)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Ruby, where do you live? (What part of town?)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Maggie, I live in Cypress, off of hwy 290, about one mile from it.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

rose_petalzz,

I have the same problem, but I am way outside of houston.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Maggiemoo,
I am sorry I didn't get back with you sooner, but I have been running around town all day.

October would be a great time for Maas nursery. I agree with Trois its a all day visit. Maas nursery is located in Seabrook not far from Kemah.
Patti

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

just for your info, Seabrook is approx. 30 to 45 minuets from downtown Houston of a "good" traffic day.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, but if it's the one stop we make, it will be worth it. I've driven (ridden) much farther for a Nursery Date before. ;-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Never been to Maas, but have heard about it. I sure hope you all have a wonderful time and find some goodies!!!!! That is the fun of it, finding that one plant you have been drooling over from someone elses garden!!!

and IloveJesus99, isn't it a bummer when you can't just take off and do things you want!!!
I can't see well enough to drive; and besides don't have an extra car in family to drive.
And the bus system does not come out this far; so it is like we are trapped unless we get a ride from someone else. I know my DH hates to take off work for my dr.s appointments downtown. Anyway, I hope you can find a ride, it would be a great nursery I am sure. Have a great day everyone and thanks, and hope it is a blast for y'all and keep us posted on what you find out there!!!!
Ruby :)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Traffic should not be a problem if it is on a weekend.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 9:49 AM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Ruby, you have d-mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.