New blooms for June

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Just a couple of pictures for now. I'll add more as things bloom. This is Gentiana gracilipes.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know why this decided to start blooming now. This little azalea is one of the plants the owner of Miniature Plant Kingdom stuffed in my pocket when he showed me around his "kingdom." Ah, is there anything better than a free plant?

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Zuzu,

I love free plants, and the pleasant thought I always have about the giver as I tend to and admire the new treasure. Your azalea is adorable!!!

This Canterbury bells was a gift seedling last fall...it grew, and grew, and, well.....GREW!! The little 'Fanfare' is being surrounded....;o)
Jam

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What a beauty that campanula is, Jamie, and so healthy.

This next picture belongs in the alpine forum only indirectly. This is my scree bed. There are little alpines and succulents growing in it under all of those godetias. I'll take a picture of them when the godetias are finished blooming, but I had to show it to you now. I planted one godetia more than 10 years ago. Now I have them everywhere. This particular spot is part of what used to be the driveway--concrete with a thick layer of gravel and rock. Almost no soil to speak of, but the godetias don't care.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

The other place they come in handy is in bulb containers. This is a freesia container, which could look quite boring after the freesias finish blooming. The godetias keep it looking good, however, and I didn't have to plant any of them after that first one years ago. They just reseed like lunatics (as if lunatics reseed). All I have to do is pull some out in strategic locations to leave walking room.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Zuzu ~
You sure do have godetias here and there, like a sprinkling of pretty pinks....and every one is sooo very beautiful. This is one of those times where "volunteer" seedlings seem to put themselves in perfect spots...:)

Jamie

ps. This bright yellow snapdragon just appeared here coming up through my 'Little Princess' spiraea, and I left it to grow. I like the look, though it would never have been one I would have planted intentionally.

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That is a very cute combination. What an adorable little spiraea.

I went to Annie's and bought many wonderful things, including two roses. They usually don't have roses, but they had just grown some cuttings off some of their landscape roses and were selling them in the $4 perennial pots. Lyda and Grandmother's Hat. I've never heard of either one, but they're pretty and they smell fabulous. I thought Grandmother's Hat was a bizarre name because it sounds so formal. You know--not Granny's Bonnet or something else that sounds as if you might actually like your grandmother.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is a baby Primula polyneura putting out its first blooms.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Calandrinia umbellata.

The pointed sticks are working nicely as a cat deterrent, by the way, and the plants are much happier now that they aren't being flattened every time a cat decides to take a nap on them.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Z~

Cats sleeping on a plant would sure be a deterrent to growth.....very nice pictures, as usual very pretty flowers!!

J ;o)

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another plant the Miniature Kingdom guy stuck into my pocket, but without a label. I assume it's some kind of aster.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This picture and the next one might seem pitiful because there's only one bloom on each of these plants, but these two plants resembled dead little bits of wet glop when they arrived here from Wrightman's, so the fact that they survived and are blooming is a cause for major celebration.

This is Armeria juniperifolia "Bevans." Please note, Jamie, that this is one of the plants on my beloved pages 74-75 in the Eyewitness Handbook.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Phyteuma sieberi, and the flower is kind of hard to see, but it's worth a careful perusal because it's just exquisite.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh...these cameras...the only thing not in focus is the flower....happens to me all the time....I will take your word for it that it is amazing, and maybe next year we will get to see the blooms and oooh & aaah with you...;o)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Mine is just starting to bud...I'll post a pic when it opens.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh Hi there Todd....that would be great!! I forget how wonderfully much stuff you still have to bloom yet. I look forward to seeing any and all of your pics - my Rock Garden is pretty much dead...except for the Lewisias, which bloom all the time for me....

What is blooming strong for you now??
Jam

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I know it's July, but I only have one new bloom, so I thought I'd tack it on to the end of my June thread.

Jasione alpestris.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
somewhere, PA

An alpine bloom in July is ALWAYS welcome Zuzu. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.