Rock garden blooms at the end of June

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Again, these are old repeats for the more southern people, but you can relive your spring all over! This is my Incarvillea mairei 'Grandiflora'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Lewisia 'Little Plum'...I have to grow it in apot as they rot during our wet winters

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Phlox subulata are peaking now. This is 'Fort Hill'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Veronica schmitiana

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Saxifraga 'Monarch'...this encrusted type has 6" rosettes

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Arnica lonchophylla, a native alpine

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Alyssum lenense

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Penstemon gracilis

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and the final one for now, Penstemon davidsonii

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What a gorgeous Veronica, and the Incarvillea is such a nice compact plant. I can only get Incarvillea delavayi here, and I love it but it gets so leggy.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

There is a very dwarf Incarvillea mairei called Frank Ludlow...we have it at the botanical garden..I plan on collecting seed as it comes true.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous Todd - such beautiful plants (a real treat). I particularly like those Saxifraga blooms.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Todd, Todd, Todd ~

You are a breath of fresh air for me! My Rock garden is in its little Summer sleepy-time. Nothing much blooming, and my attention hasbeen on other projects....but your pics were like a gift! And each, and every plant is such a fine specimen, they all look so healthy, and vibrant. I always admire that about your plants...they just seem to be thriving!!

Thank-you for those pictures, it was just what this rock-garden plant lover needed!! :o)
Jamie
ps.....A "Happy" blossom for you!!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

thanks so much for the pictures, Todd! my new strategy is to make note of my favorites from your garden, and try to grow them here! you are definitely my inspiration resource. love that little cutie pie alyssum lenense..or maybe it's bigger than it looks- the incarvillea is so compact and pretty too- is it challenging to grow? my attempts with delavayi failed...though that was ages ago- but it would die over winter. are you not getting hot, summer type weather yet? is it spring forever in NF?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

sjms, my Incarvillea is actually hardier than delavayi...I have had limited success with that one but no problems at all with mairei. And yes, the weather has finally warmed up here...we are now averaging around 70 F which is about right for us. It rarely gets above 85 F here.

Jamie, our shasta daisy are just starting to bud...they won't flower until August.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Sarah, did your delavayi die of cold or of excess precipitation? I have so much rain here between November and March that my delavayi could never survive the winter until I started growing them in pots with big drainage holes or in soil mixed with aquarium sand. They really hate to have too much water around their roots.

Todd, I found the I. mairei and I'm very excited about it. Now I have to find that Veronica. Your beautiful pictures are going to inspire me all the way to the poorhouse.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

hmmm....probably both on the delavayi...might try mairei though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.