Field Trip to Maggie's Herbs for DGers in Jacksonville area

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Another inexpensive option is eating at the convenience store nearby. no seating with AC but you can sit on the porch and eat. Another possibility is... there is a shopping center @ World Golf Village. We would have to go past there from Maggies to S&J. There is a shopping center near S&J I think also.Either of these might have simple meals in AC but I don't know the names of any. We could just go on spec. What do you think?

Maggie

Sugarweed- What about Clarks Fish Camp? That is on Hood Rd, near S&J. The prices have a good range and are a good value. You will not leave hungry. The food is good with a good selection. We can find shaded parking if we park on the road (to protect the plants). It is also a place with a lot of CHARACTER. There are stuffed animals of every kind in dioramas in the restaurant. It's on the water so the view is wonderful. It is also quite casual, comfortable and down home.
I had to go to S&J yesterday looking for milkweed, there are several other little eateries out that way. Subway and Firehouse were prominent but I think there's a Mexican restaurant too.

I'm so looking forward to our trip!

Maggie
I

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Anywhere out of the weather is good for me. I certainly didn't have my sights set on the "crab" place, but I could eat fish daily.
I also have love for all the places you mentioned, although I am from Texas and the Mexican food places in the south do leave something to be desired for me.
sidney

My personal opinion (which everyone is entitled to) is that Clarks would be good. Quality, shade., value.

Maggie

Great with me. By the way folks, Jeremy took me along on a plant pick-up to Maggie's (margaran) last friday and she has a great yard. She's really into Butterflies too.
I am really looking forward to this saturday's trip.
Got BD check from XMIL, lol.
Money for maggie's Yea!
sidney

Here's a map link. We can't make reservations but we can call them as were leaving Maggies to be put on a list to eliminate wait time.

http://yp.netscape.com/main.adp?_dlc=1&_dis=0&_dirsview=distance&_dirskip=0&_dirletter=&_direxpand=&_dgid=0%2c102797910&_dgskip=0%2c1&_dircid=102797910&_diradid=0&_diraction=detail&_dircity=Jacksonville&_dirstate=FL&_dirlat=303319&_dirlong=%2d816558&_dirzip=&_dby=&_dircat=&_dirnamesearch=clarks+fish+camp&_diraddress=&_dirdma=40&_dirpid=

Sugarweed- I'm so glad to have met you and Jeremy. I'll neeed your advice on eliminating all that grass! Thanks for the tip on the Nandina- I'll be getting rid of most of it. I learned from another thread you quilt- can't wait to talkk quilting with you!

Maggie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yippee! for tomorrow's arrival soon!

We can discuss all the possibilities for lunch while we peruse Maggie's Herbs, and come to some consensus (or not!)

I will be bringing along the "Zen" scrolls that Grakay purchased at my last art exhibit.

Sidney, we can coordinate later today for the time for me to come by your place and pick you up in my old utility van (Christina named it "Sherman" because it is about as clunky as a Sherman tank and about as maneuverable as a Greyhound Bus, but I don't have to worry about anyone running into it -- it is so rusted and rattling that everyone assumes I have no insurance and they give me plenty of room on the road LOL But it is the perfect vehicle for hauling plants, compost, and home remodeling supplies) It will be available for those headed back north to Jax to haul back trees, etc., from S & J that may not fit in your vehicles.

My only certain quest is one of the bright red crepe myrtles with bright yellow centers from S & J. It is the only plant that Christina has expressed any interest in me owning.

I was at Cheesecake Factory for a free lunch yesterday courtesy of MysteryGuest.com and couldn't resist going into the Jo-Anne's Store at the new Town Center Mall where the restaurant is located. This Jo-Anne's is MASSIVE! I never knew there could be so many arts, crafts, fabric and sewing supplies in one place! The summer house & garden items are now 75% off. All the garden shepherd hooks are sold out, but there are still some interesting items to be had for $3 - $10. For those of us that are bargain hunters, we may want to run by Jo-Anne's after S & J.

See ya' manana! 10:30 AM at Maggie's Herbs

Jeremy

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Oooh, what a fun-filled day tomorrow will be!

Am getting excited! Going to persuade Peter to take the van!

Gracie

Yes Gracie, the van is a good idea. I am really looking forward to it.
sidney

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I am getting really excited too Yall. I've been watching and waiting. Tomorrow's the big day. Take lots of photos and postemup here so I can peek in please.

We've been doing this down here in the other end of Florida for the past few months and just had another today at B'fly World. Come on over and take a look later after we post some photos and stuff. We call ourselves the S. Florida Galloping Gardeners. Come see.

Have great fun tomorrow, please give each other a hug and kiss for me. :^)))

Molly
:^)))

A slight change in my plans -- I won't be driving "Sherman" my '79 Chevy utility van. I had somehow forgotten that there is no a/c in the van and that it has a tendency to emit toxic vapors into the seating area on long trips (maybe it is the toxic vapors combined with a recent day of driving it around town for several hours that made me forget about the a/c??) Anyway, I will be riding down with Sugarweed whose vehicle is much more comfortable for such a trek. If any of you purchase very large plants that would require delivery from S & J, I can come back down in the van at some point and help with the delivery, if needed.

Only a few hours 'til we meet & greet and raid the nurseries!

Jeremy

I think I can still accomidate any large purchases. I'll bring my faithful twine, then on the wayy back we can put large plants in the van and tie jeremy to the top.
;)

O.K. I'll agree to being tied to the top of the vehicle, but I think we should first go by Jo-Anne's Fabrics so I can buy about 20 yards of bright pink chiffon to have as butterfly wings to stream behind me and your SUV, as in "Priscilla of the Desert."

Jeremy

Absoluetly!LOL
sidney

Well the N-Fl.DG ship has landed and a great time was had by all.
I got; Coral Vine, 2 Echinaceas, Patcholli, 2 fennel, candle plant,(free), 2 butterfly weed, mexican sunflower, a rue, and a 4'Candy Stripe Crepe Myrtle.
The candy stripe bloom is Lipstick red with white edges.
Jeremy, Maggie, Gracie and Peter, myself composed of our well mis-behaved group.
We had a great day Maggie's, lunch at an awesome Fish Camp.
They had several collections there, animals, furniture plates and great food. (Thanks again Peter and Gracie) A must for the next out of town company. Thanks to Maggie (magaran) for finding Clarks Fish Camp. Then we went to Let it Grow, a small new nursery. We got the 5th plant free there.
After that what energy was left we went to S & J nursery. Shew, what a wonderful day. We did lose one catapillar, but all else survived fine. We saw hundreds of Butterflies.
sidney

This message was edited Aug 20, 2005 9:06 PM

I had a wonderful time! It was so nice to meet my DG friends in person. Sidney was fascinated by the furniture at Clark's Fish Camp- see photo.

Maggie

Thumbnail by margaran

Fondling the furniture.

Thumbnail by margaran

Deer Sidney

Thumbnail by margaran

Deer Gracie

Thumbnail by margaran

Poor people photo but look at the view we had.

Thumbnail by margaran

Beautiful spider- Golden Orb with egg sac. Found at Let It Grow in Jacksonville, FL

Thumbnail by margaran

Great pictures Maggie! I didn't get a good picture of you. Dern it!
I can't begin to thank you for being Trip Master today. Had a realy great time.
sidney

I'm so glad. Thanks for letting me play with you.

Deer Grakay and Mr. Grakay,

Thanks so much for lunch.The company was mahvelous dahling, simply mahvelous!!!! I want my own golf cart!!

Maggie

(Zone 9a)

Sorry I couldnt make it... Christie got sick and I had to take care of her.... then I was advised I had to go pick upmy new puppy from the breeder that she was ready today... so.. kinda blew my day all to heck........ :( maybe next go around!

Chris

Missed you Chris, we were kids again today.
;)

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Great to see everyone again, even if it's only in photos! I sure wish I could have made the trip, but life is incredibly hectic for me these days. Hope to get back to normal soon. Looking forward to seeing y'all at JuJa's October 8th swap in Lake City!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

What a great time we had!

Maggie, it was soooo good meeting you, and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of each other real soon!

Jeremy, Peter and I love our Zen scrolls, and will be looking forward to more of your great art work.

Sidney, you got me in trouble once more, and I deeply appreciate it! LOL

I'll post more pics tomorrow of the goodies we brought home, cause I actually cannot remember everything I bought! Oh, da grey matter is sleepy! :) All I do remember is having such a wonderful day with my fellow DGers.

This is the resident turtle at Maggie's Herbs.......big fella, he is!

Thumbnail by grakay
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This is just one of the many beautifully crafted chairs at Clark's Fish Camp. I apologize for the quality of the picture, but that's all she wrote, folks.

Thumbnail by grakay
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Some serious dialogue going on here!

Maggie and Jeremy!

Thumbnail by grakay
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Jeremy and Sidney! Just look at that smile!

Thumbnail by grakay

Beautiful photos Gracie. At least didn't do some film noir bcklit thing! LOL

Maggie

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh thanks so much for sharing this with us! Yall look great, Gracie, nice to see you have both arms up and working again.

Wish I coulda been there.
Molly
:^)))

We missed our buddies from all over. I'd get everbody close by and start on my little spill about how we were very serious about our gardens and the plans were all set in stone and we never buy on impulse. I think we alerted everyone that DG is on the internet and to come on over.
Jeremy had actually worked with one of the nursery ladies.
Here is the red orchid bush (?) that was covered with butterflies.
Well it's not the shot I thought, but I'll leave it.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Definately a do-over, LOL
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Molly,

So wish you could have been there too! :)

Gracie

Hey, all. I certainly admire that you all had energy left to come home and download and post photos. I crashed soon after some local Chinese take-out food, but still savoring the day and all the giddy fun we had raiding the nurseries. What a blast! After a short trip to church to hear the musical prelude, I'll post the photos I took and my list of new adoptees for my garden and photos of the weird ones (like the bizarre Jade Plant that I got at Maggie's Herbs).

My Queen Caterpillar -- (actually Sugarweed's cat, because mine crawled off and hid somewhere in her van and she kindly let me have her caterpillar) -- is now safely housed in a large glass vase with its 4" pot of fennel and a covering of toile held down with a rubberband (the best I could come up with on short notice for a butterfly hatchery!). He/She was happily munching on fennel for breakfast this morning. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Did anyone get a pix of the red plant we all coveted at Let It Grow Nursery but were not willing to invest $89 to own it? I just checked the Plant Files for plants in the Erythrina genus and found two pages of plants. I think this one may be the one we saw:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/38374/index.html

Definitely a plant to add to my "must have" wish list along with the Red Bauninia from Maggie's Herbs, shown in Sugarweed's photo above. It may be Bauhinia punctata:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/70975/index.html

but there are some other red Bauhinias in the Plant Files as well.

Jeremy

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

Looks like you had great fun. Sorry I am such a potato right now and missed out! I am curious to know what you thought of the quality of the nurseries. Plants healthy/well tended? Good selection? Staff knowledgable? I may have to wait to raid these places myself in the spring. Sarah

Maggie's is an old seen better times herb nursery. It is a great place for hard to find herbs and has great festivals every spring and fall. We bought fennel there with catapillars already munching. Plants were spent, but healthy. Knowledgeable.
Let it Grow is a newer small nursery that had butterfly weed, which is different from Marsh Milkweed and one of my favorites.
They had some unusual plants and Jeremy knew one of the employees there. Fairly knowledgeable. 2 gal, 4' tall crepe myrtle $15. Plants good shape.
S & J Big nursery with acres of plants.
They were too busy to actually know how knowledgable. The plants were plenty and well cared for. The prices were very good.
hope that helps.
sidney

Sugarweed,

i've always found @ S&J that if I ask for help, they will stop. I don't know that I find them that knowledgeable or perhaps they're just not as chatty. So far at all the nurseries I've been to, Laurie at Let it Grow (the 2nd one) has been the most knowledgeable/ forthcoming. This includes Gecko and Trads.

Maggie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images