Doss' Dahlias

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry to confuse you, Dorothie. ;-) Yep, Pooh is a tall one......on mine the stalks are anywhere from 5' to 6' tall and the blooms are about 4" wide. I absolutely cannot decide which style I like the best......I LOVE THEM ALL!!! :-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I know, I didn't think that I liked FD's but I was really wrong. :-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is 'Papageno". Does anyone know if I have it's name spelled correctly? It is a much more intense violet and yellow than the photo. I was out of luck today and when I tried to correct it in my lame editor it wouldn't work - the leaves turned an ungodly color. It's a large cultivar - A or AA.

Thumbnail by doss
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Doss - were you asking the difference in seed collecting and hybridizing about the daylilies?

In any event with hybridizing you select the plants to be crossed.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Doss,
You spelled it right. Your's looks prettier than mine. Mine has more yellow in it. I am going to dig this one up. It is in front of my dahlia bed and is too huge for its spot.
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine has more yellow in it too, but the violet is also darker - couldn't get my camera to work today. And yes, it's way to big for the front of the border. I think that this is going to be another six footer. And if you don't like the color - there's no point in it covering up what you love. But I'm an across the color wheel girl - so it makes me happy - even though pastel isn't my thing. I'll take another photo - this flower is far from open. I just got excited. :-)

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

wow, girl! I just love dahlias, but i dont have the initiative to dig them up in the fall and replant them in the spring......or the time......but one day I will have some and show ya'll too!! gonna be at least till the little one goes to school....and thats quite a ways away....BUT.......my time will come!!!!for now i will just be content looking at yours....thanks

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My big Dahlia secret is - I don't have to dig them up. I just have to make sure that I don't dig them up by accident when I'm planting something else.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya doss,

That's a pretty great secret, looks like leaving them in is certainly paying off for you. I'm thinking of digging a few this fall and experimenting with the practice. Although I don't dig mine either, I've just got a hankerin' to see if digging them makes any difference.

I must be bored....lol.

Your flowers are incredible!
don

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Don- are you going to play with success? I guess you're supposed to divide them. But I'm a very lazy gardener. I'll have to do it one of these days too.

How grows your tree Dahlia?? Mine's about 10 feet tall.

Doss: I can leave them in place here in New York. We have a name for it: soil conditioner because they just rot out! LOL as "she" would say!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Speaking of tree dahlias, mine is about 8 to 9 feet tall, and it just seems to be sitting there, Do they need lots of heat and water to grow vigorously? I started mine early in the GH because our season just ordinarily wouldn't be long enough.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't worry about your tree Dahlia just sitting there. They don't bloom until really late - the flowers aren't the show. Mine doesn't bloom until almost Thanksgiving. 8-9 feet is perfectly respectable and it's much less likely to fall over that way. Dahlias do want to be fed. I feed mine with rose food right along with the roses. I have no idea whether or not it's proper but my dahlias like it and it's simple.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya doss,

I've got two that are about 8-9ft right now, one that's about 7ft, one about 5ft, and one that's quite short and still in recovery from a gopher attack. I did take two root cuttings this spring and the one I didn't give away is in a five gallon pot and is a lovely 3ft shrub right now.

As for bloom time, down here they'll go to bud in mid September and bloom from late sept until frost...or snow...lol.

Their growth has slowed a bit since our summer hit with a vengeance and we've had over two weeks straight of 100+ degree weather. I expect they'll get up to size when we get a break from the heat or some thunder showers or when global cooling becomes a climate trend...lol.

best,
don

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You always go grand Don. My tree Dahlia was in it's first year last year. But your dahlias do seem to be about a month ahead of mine. Toasty!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

If it doesn't bloom till Thanksgiving, it will never make it here. Darn. Most of the time up here rain just finally finishes the dahlias. A really hard frost won't usually occur till then too. And then that puts them out of their misery.
Don, two weeks over 100, I couldn't handle that. I guess I would 'estivate' in the house.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This be 'Bodacious'. It's really quite a deep red and yellow. Just didn't get it right this morning.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2005 11:13 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is "Daleko Jupiter". Not huge or fluffly but perfect for a vase.

Thumbnail by doss
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

So pretty, Dorothie, I like the colors in these; similar colors but different shapes. I went out to weed my patch yesterday and discovered the Japanese cucumber beetles were having a feast. So I sprayed Sevin. I won't get properly formed blooms if I don't use something. I couldn't believe how thick the beetles were.I am seeing more and more color all the time.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Color! Magic words. Can't wait to see the summer unfold.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I absolutely love the orange, yellow and red together.....and apart.....I am sort of a brown and oranges kind of person........lovely dorothie......

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thought that you might be interested. This is Fidalgo Julie (see above) after feeding with rose food and mulching (not over the tubers) with alfalfa pellets. Something I've been trying. I can't quite believe the change in the color. But it's true.

Thumbnail by doss
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi, Doss,
I like the 'Daleko Jupiter' and it looks like a water lily which are my favorite.
What didthe 'Fidalgo Julie' look before the experiment?
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The old Fidalgo Julie is in the 5th post down from the top. But I'll post it again.

This is the same plant 15 days before the other one. I grew it last year and it never turned red. Funny!

Thumbnail by doss
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Very interesting! I like the new way.
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is a much better photo of Daleko Jupiter - it just glows in the sun.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's "Freedom Fighter". I love the khaki and red together. This is dinnerplate size.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is "Croyden Masterpiece" - another huge beauty.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is 'Show Off'. I do like these flashy collarettes.

You can see the resemblence to "Bumble Rumble".

Thumbnail by doss
Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

WOW!! Dorothie, those are amazing! I love the Daleko Jupiter!! You are a lucky lady to see such beautiful flowers!! And we are lucky that you share them with us!!!! thank you for sharing!!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm looking at these thinking - Doss, do you ever grow anything but 'hot' colors?

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I like 'hot' colors too!!!! You've seen my dining room walls! LOL.....

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How could I ever forget them??? Outrageous but it works.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I will take a pic of the whole room for you one day!! when there is not laundry all over the table!LOLOL!!

Daleko is wonderful! The others are lovely but I like the mix of colors in Daleko. Were you married in an orange wedding gown?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Dorothie, your dahlias are beautiful! I really love Daleko Jupiter....it really does glow in the sun. I have a collarette called Little Showoff and it looks a lot like your Show Off. Sooo....I'm assuming mine is smaller than yours? LOL

Your dahlias seem to be missing some things that mine have plenty of........bug holes and sunburned petals. I like yours better! ;-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow,.Doss, I love em all. The coloring in Show Off is outstanding. So pretty.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll laugh Pirl but my bridesmaids wore sherbert orange - it was the 60's after all. Thank goodness not moss green.

I grow a lot of my dahlias in part shade. A lot of them only get morning sun and I have one growing under a persimmon tree that probably gets about 4 hours of sun a day and by George, it has a blossom on it. Systemics are the secret to bug holes. If you look at mine carefully you'll notice leaf-miner tracks all over them. As to sunburn. Have you been using bug sprays on them in the middle of the day? They really resent it. Spray after it cools down in the evening so that the heat doesn't bake them.

And I don't know about the "Little Show Off". It might be the same dahlia and I have the name wrong. It really isn't this purple. I'll take another one.

And scooby - at least your laundry isn't on the floor and it's only your clean laundry on the kitchen table. :-) With two little kids sometimes quick laundry folds just don't fit in the day. Been there.

I'm not laughing: I believe it!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

:-) You're getting to know me WAY too well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.