Doss' Dahlias

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

We like to get to know you dorothie, and anyone who doesnt just hasnt met you yet......to know you is to like you and to like you is to know you right?! doesnt everyone agree?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Doss, you have so many fantastic one, but I think Mrytle's Folly is the my favorite. Just love that shape. Bubble Rumble is great too.

susan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Doss is a very special person with unique talents for designing gardens, selecting special irises, dahlias and daylilies, loves her puppies and dislikes obvious hoses!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll get the name for these yet. It's Fidalgo??? But I decided to post it now. No color playing. It's really this color fresh out of the camera.

Thumbnail by doss

Utterly beautiful. Perfection!

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I agree pirl!! doss, i am certain that you have a knack for these things!!!! Totally stunning!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

No knack, just the right tubers.

How about the right choices!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss,
Now I like that dahlias. The colors are so pretty.
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Camano Denali. This is blooming in almost total shade under a Fuyu persimmon tree. When I planted it I forgot how dark the tree was. Imagine what it would do in the sun!

Thumbnail by doss

Whenever I see "Doss' Dahlias" as an update, it's the start of major depression for me.

It is stunning and your photography is wonderful. It appears to be suspended in mid air! Glorious.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, dear pirl. Get out the Prozac.
Moonlight Sonata.

Thumbnail by doss
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My Doss, you sure have a lot of nice dahlias. Such different ones from me.
So it is neat to see other colors, types, and sizes.
Love them all!
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Isn't it nice how many beautiful flowers are in the world. It always makes me appreciate the hybridizers and growers. I always imagine how it would be to walk out in your field and see these for the very first time.

Doss: I can't speak for dahlia hybridizers but as far as daylilies go I can say that when you go out each morning it's almost a religious experience. Calm down Dave, I'm not arguing religion!

When you see (as an amateur hybridizer) the soft blush on a cream based flower, whose parents were cherry and yellow, it's a delight. When you spot a glaring orange (the kind you love) that came from a little tiny lavender and purple flower, mated with a cream flower, it's glee wondering how that gene came to be so dominant. When I spotted a very big red eye on another one, whose parents had no eyes at all, it was a mystery.

The hybridizers who work at it as a business have to delete so many! I wonder how many more would be on the market if there were fewer deletions.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yikes! It's hard enough to decide as it is!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is 'Robin Hood'

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Fire Magic - not fully opened but I couldn't wait.

Thumbnail by doss

Dorothie: they are both magnificent. The vibrancy of the colors is just amazing. I won't even tease you and say that dahlias come in pink, lavender and yellow, aside from the hot family you love so much and do so well with.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You mean like this? Daleko Jupiter. It wasn't the best photo so I was waiting but you asked.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's another one. Again not the best photo and I haven't even tracked down the name. White ends on a bright yellow FD. Huge.

Thumbnail by doss

You are one great person! Okay, the yellows are good, especially the second one but few could match the fiery 'Fire Magic' - that's so special.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I just love the 'button' look of the "Robin Hood"!!!!! :-) tomorrow I will post a pic for you on D-mail of my Giant red Hibiscus.....it is bigger than i have ever seen before....I have seen the smaller ones a lot around.....but mine are the biggest.....i have seen anyway...they are like dinner plate sized to about cereal bowl sized......but the bigger ones are the most impressive........Great Dahlias, Dorothie!! I want to see more!!! You may have started a passion in Dahlias too.......lol.....not just iris'!!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Edna C. She's blooming right now with clematis Durandii. I know Boy Scout colors. They are beautiful together. I'll have to grab a photo of them. This photo was taken last October 15.

Thumbnail by doss
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Doss,
We finally have something in common.
I have 'Fire Magic' and 'Robin Hood' too.
I do love 'Fire Magic' tho. The blooms last so long on the main plant I have noticed.
Carol

Lovely. I would like to see it with the clematis.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I noticed that you had those. Don't you think that it would be fun to make personality tests out of which ones you pick? It's Robin Hood's first year for me. And it's the first ball type I've grown.

I have ordered some, selecting the ones I want but many have come from the big box stores so my personality would come out: CHEAP! They're always incredible buys at 5 for $10.99 so I feel if I get two out of it I'm ahead of the game and most often I do get 4 out the 5 to grow and bloom for me.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you can get them at that price, I sure wouldn't knock it Pirl.

I buy the ones I don't already have just as soon as they're in the store and won't even buy them two weeks later. They're horrible at taking care of plants.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Edna C. with clematis Durandii. Edna C. seems to be wanting to bloom into the wall so the photo is a little awkward - but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by doss

Lovely combination. Durandi would probably be lovely with yellow roses, too.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It would. It's herbacious so it would just love to scramble through the roses. I've planted Durandii in my iris beds this summer and we'll see what they do next spring. I'm hoping not to have any more drive in movie landscaping.

I know what a drive-in move is but what is "drive-in move landscaping"?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's where the little plant markers in the iris beds look like the speaker stands in a drive in movie. It makes me giggle everytime I think about it. But you have to see it on the iris forum. :-)

Gotcha! I did see the photo and always admire your work. I see them and think of itty bitty grave markers, perhaps for Japanese Beetles?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe snails. :-)

Here's another dahlia. I'll get the name later - again.

This is Kenora Fireball.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2005 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by doss

It's wonderful. It reminds me of time lapse photography in just one picture. You are a wonderful photographer as well as gardener.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss, I love your description of the plant markers looking like drive-in movie speakers much better than grave markers.......I've always thought of them as looking like grave markers, but now I will have a different thought in my head! ;-) Thanks!

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Doss,

Is your post from Aug 22, 2005 5:58 PM above, Lemon Candy?

I saw Lemon Candy on one of the growers web sites and fell in LOVE!!!!

C.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.