Doss' Dahlias

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Zowie! I think I'll speak to my dentist about borrowing his little saliva vacuum for looking at more of your photos. LOL.

Doss these are all spectacular! I used to think the bold colors were too bold for me, but now I find them nothing but gorgeous and a few more are creeping into the herd annually. I really like them all, but Myrtle's Folly is my favorite of all your magnificent blooms. And Robin Hood, and Daleko Jupiter...... the list goes on.

Your yard must look like a burst of sunrise when all is in bloom.

Can I ask here about your use of alfalfa pellets, as I was just discussing this with another dahlia friend. Are they just regular pellets you would get for an alfalfa eating animal, or special pellets for plants? How much do you apply to each dahlia? I have a garden buddy who uses them on her roses and just began a trial on dahlias but with your spectacular results, I'd like to hear your "how to's."

My alfalfa pellets get hijacked every day!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pot2Be - I'll go out and check the dahlia I photographed and get a better picture. It may be Harvest Moonlight.

This is Stellyvonne. Doesn't get too tall. Rather sensitive to heat but beautiful.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Kenora Fireball opened.

Thumbnail by doss
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Both are very beautiful Doss. Just how big are these flowers? They appear to be immense.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Stellyvone is about 6". Kenora Fireball is small - about 3" but packs a punch. Edna C. is about 8". Remember that I don't disbud.

I think that the yellow one is Harvet Moonlight. But the marker is gone. You might be right about Lemon Candy. It's yellow with with white petal tips. It's about 6-8" across but probably is listed as bigger.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Now that I look again, maybe it is not Lemon Candy. The tips of the petals look different.

Still....Gorgeous!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Is lemon candy something I should buy for sure? I'll keep my eye's out for it.

Thanks Poochella. I can't resist the unreality of the colors. Not a lavender fan. The lavenders that people have posted have made me change my mind.

Edited to say that I just heap it on - but I don't put it up to the stems. Some people do. I don't know what's right. I use it on my clematis. Some have said that it might be too "hot' I forgot to ask what that might mean. On one daylily site, they use it along with other things. I've used it on roses and they are very happy. But the birds have been stealing it. I have happy birds but I'm beginning to put redwood bark on top to keep it in place.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. My plants are liking it - and so are the birds.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2005 4:02 PM

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's a link to Lemon Candy.

http://www.dansdahlias.com/cart/result.asp?NAME=lemon+candy&COLOR=ANY&SIZE=ANY&BTYPE=ANY

Hey Sis, I see you're up......going to give you a call.......

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL- "I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing..." Well I'd say you're doing something very right, and like you said- don't mess with success!!

Another gardener also said she uses the alfalfa pellets on roses and clematis- very effectively. "Hot" generally refers to nitrogen, I think, or available nitrogen. That's why you don't use fresh horse manure on plants, let it sit a year to cool off. Next year I'll give the pellets a try on some dahlia I have duplicates of and see what happens.
Thanks for the info and your beautiful photo tours.
Annie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Annie, there is a before and after photo of using the alfalfa (which I buy at a pet store, but which I'm sure is cheaper at a feed store) Look at Fidalgo Julie. The after photo was much more intense in color - and it wasn't the camera. (It's AUG 15, after the 'after photo'.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

You continue to show us beautiful flowers........STUNNING!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A bouquet

Thumbnail by doss

I'm speechless in Southold!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

And another one.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Another dark red

Thumbnail by doss

I want to be President of Doss' Fan Club!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I thought that you were already! :-) It's mutual fer shure.

Last one for today - and could it really be? Yes, it's lavender!

Thumbnail by doss

It's stunning: it looks hand painted.

Signed,
Pirl The Pres

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I go out every morning and paint my dahlias, don't you. Oops, wrong story. I'm Dorothy, not Alice.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I love the colors in your bouquet, Dorothy.
You do have beautiful dahlias.
I am going to post some pictures from the Swan Island Dahlias hopefully tonight. We went there for the NW RU and the dahlias were gorgeous!!!!!
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll bet they were gorgeous. You are looking at some of them right in that group of Dahlias. What a great thing you're doing for us.

The colors in the bouquet are just what I brought in from the garden yesterday. I don't think that there is any bad way you could arrange a dahlia.

My daughter wants dahlias in her wedding bouquets but she's getting married the first part of May. I offered her bearded iris. :-)

Maybe there's some magician who can get the from somewhere else - but they won't be like these. Maybe Peonies?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is the link for the NW RU pics and pictures from SID.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/542535/

Too bad she isn't getting married in at least July/August then. Not too many real flowers in May.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the photos - looked like a grand time. And what lovely dahlia fields.

May is the time she has to do it in. Her fiancee is at B school at Wharton which ends in early May and then he has to start work by sometime in June. Then back to school for nine more months. She has to stay here and work - it's a very hard thing. But they seem to be doing OK. She'll just have to deal with the flowers available in May. I'm sure that there will be something. :-)

Doss: Have you considered Angelique and other double flowering tulips?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They would be beautiful, wouldn't they? I love peony type tulips. They don't grow very well here. I mean they REALLY don't grow well here - but it should be easy to get them flown in for not too much given the time of year. Once more a brilliant suggestion, Pirl. I'll tell her.

Even here in NY we only get one bloom out of them. By the following year they've turned to compost in the earth. But they are divine in bloom.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pirl, Gretchen (my daughter) thinks that your idea about peony tulips is fabulous! And probably a whole lot cheaper than peonies themselves. But we know that you're a genius.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

hey doss........whatcha up to......didnt have a chance to call earlier......now the fax is on......will keep trying though........

Hmmm........genius..........burned Italian bread twice in one month from turning the oven to broil instead of bake. Genius, no: flower lover, yes.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How's this? For pirl - it's about 4" across. It's Canby Centennial and gets about 6" finally and fades to a lovely lighter color of the same pink with the white streaks more prominent. The bush is about 4 feet tall and since the flowers are small and light they don't fall over. The flowers are held high enough above the foliage to really be seen.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2005 12:56 PM

Thumbnail by doss

A hand painted pink Dahlia: wonderful! Perfect colors and ideal size. Thank you for thinking of me.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, Doss, very pretty!
I like how the edges are like Pirl says, are hand painted.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lovely! What is its name? That is a beauty.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll admit that I didn't get it's name. I'll go to the garden tomorrow. I'm glad that you like it though.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh I don't just LIKE it, I worship it! Have studied every millimeter of your photo LOL. Really like the brighter colors these days and that one is gorgeous.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Poochella - I edited my post. The flower was Canby Centennial. It's more like 6" across.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hahaa, I know that dahlia. I saw it up at SID last weekend. I thought it looked familiar.
Still think yours looked better than the ones at SID tho. Must be your TLC, Doss.
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that they like the rabbit food. I swear I get brighter colors because of it. It does fade over time - but you get an entirely new flower - mixed with the old ones. Although mine are usually picked and brought in the house or given away by that time. :)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well happy day! I have Canby Centennial burried in the center of taller flowers of "the red and white patch" right now as I type! It hasn't gotten good sun and is a little shortie with first bloom appearing just now. I really like it. Can only hope mine turns out half as nice as yours.

I knew there was a reason I liked it. Thanks for the name Doss. This one is new for me this year.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You're welcome. My marking system works really well as long as I write down the name of the flower when I'm taking photos. I don't do a really good job of it though. Somehow holding the camera and the paper and the pencil and bending over while stepping around the iris that are planted right in front of all of the dahlias....well you get the picture - or you don't as the case may be. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images