Doss' Dahlias

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, if you you're using a digital camera and you don't mind taking us space on your card, take a photo of the plant marker right after you photo the flower. That way you will know for sure what the name is. This is what John and I did at all the iris fields we went to....otherwise we would never have known the names of anything! LOL

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mendy! Welcome back. Did you get all of your birthday wishes?

That's a great idea. I tried doing a voice recording and hated that. But you are brilliant. So I shall do. I can label the photo after I get in and toss the photo of the marker.

Thanks

Thanks, Doss. I have been very busy since I have been back and not had much time on DG. It's good to be here again, but I really should go to bed and get some sleep! LOL

Hmmmm....did I get all my birthday wishes? Well, I did have a very good birthday...it's just the 2 days before that that weren't so good. Both of our digital cameras were stolen out of our truck while we were camping....along with all of my DH's cds and a some Euros that John gave me when he was here. I guess I should be thankful that they left my purse with all of my credit cards and checks still in it. They could have even taken the whole truck cuz my keys to it were in my purse. I guess it really is our own fault though. We left the cameras and my purse in the truck and then forgot to lock it before we went to sleep that night. The last time we went camping I was always so careful to make sure I put the cameras and my purse in the tent with us. This time I just didn't even think about it. My DH had to get my son's inhaler out of the truck before going to bed and forgot to lock it up after that.

What makes people do things like this? It really just makes me sick that someone would do that. It really was a lesson for our kids though. One of the cameras was "theirs." My DH earned it from HP for working there for 10 years. It was a nice little camera and perfect for the kids.

Well, at least we have insurance and they are going to pay for most of what was taken.....minus depreciation and our deductible of course.

Actually the credit goes to John on the pic of the plant marker idea. He was the one who thought of it. ;-) Yep, it sure helped us out and it is really easy to go change the file name of the pic you want and then dump the other pics.

Sorry, Doss. Didn't mean to hijack your thread like that! ;-) On with the dahlias!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

HMMMMM... Is answering a question hijacking???

I'm so sorry that you had a bummer thing happen on your trip. But I'm glad that you had a good time anyway. It sounds as if it might be kids given they left your purse.

And honest people everywhere can't figure out why that goes on. I'm feeling more enthusiastic about photo taking today though. Thanks to both you and John.

D

Glad to hear that! Can't wait to see your photos! :-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Kasuga Appleblossom. It's late but it blooms like crazy. Highly recommended. The flowers are about 4-6"

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Border Dahlia "Prince Charming".

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Bowl of dahlias

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Taken by my Granddaughter at DH's 60th birthday. We put a bowl of dahlias at each table. The bowls themselves are about 15" long. I put rocks in the bottom and although the flowers weren't incredible secure it worked. Then I gave away the bowls of dahlias at the end of the party.

Now that was a big treat! And the party was fun too.

Thumbnail by doss
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful bouqets and what a great idea to send them home with the guests! You must be a very popular hostess. LOL

What are the names of the dahlias on the far right and far left of the 12:34 PM post?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll have to go out to the garden and see which ones they are. I don't know either one of them off the top of my head. May not be able to get out there until tomorrow. One of the most fun things about dahlias is that you can throw them all together and they look beautiful.

The one on the right is "Belle of the Ball"

This message was edited Oct 18, 2005 12:19 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I totally agree with Candy. It is so nice to send home bouquets.
My son was going over to his girlfriend's house last week and I had just brought in a 'Spartacus' bloom, which is one of the largest blooms out there, and he wanted to take it to her. So I bundled it up with a few other dahlia blooms and away it went with him. She loved it!
You have some very beautiful dahlias, Doss!
Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They are all so beautiful - I don't think that you can go wrong. Mine are at the end of the season and producing really well but the foliage is mildewing - and constant problem this time of year, even with being sprayed and only watered with a soaker hose. They do seem to be determined to mildew.

Here's a photo of part of the biggest bed. That's why the soaker hose. I can't water the dahlias and the iris with the same system of course, so I have had to add additional water with the soaker.

It's worked pretty well and except for the middle of the winter, this bed does OK. It certainly does produce flowers. It will even be better when the iris grow in.

Thumbnail by doss
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I have to admit that I haven't read this entire thread, so if you've already answered this please excuse the duplication.

How are Alfalfa pellets suppose to benefit Dahlias? I've never heard of using them as a mulch, but it sounds interesting.

Do you just purchase them from a pet supply source?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I just tried alfalfa as a mulch as a lark. It's totally unscientific. Just don't mulch up to the stem. I use them on my roses that way too. Usually people only use a little or make alfalfa tea which takes time and energy and smells really badly.

I haven't tried it on my daylilies, mulching them with bark instead but I'll put some on soon - certainly not so much. I may try an all mulch alfalfa on one or two. It would be very interesting, don't you think?

My only caveat is that if you have deer or rabbits, its probably better not to use it and to use the tea instead. Or use alfalfa meal which you can get at feed stores. You can get the pellets at pet stores generally.

I was just really surprised at the change in the color.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I used alfalfa tea made from meal this year on a lot of things and was amazed at the results. This thread has some interesting posts by Pennzer explaining what the tea does for the soil and plants. According to him, you should only let the tea 'brew' for 12 to 24 hours. If it gets to the smelly stage, you are producing anaerobic bacteria which you don't want to put in the soil.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/533173/

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is dinnerplate Emory Paul. This bloom is 10" and I don't pinch off extra blooms. It's really a very dark raspberry color. I couldn't get it the color to behave. But you get the idea. Definitely worth growing but it's a very late bloomer. Just started a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by doss
Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

That is absolutely gorgeous!!!! you are a lucky woman to have that in your presence!! thank you for sharing.........I love the colors of your collection!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.