Pit Bulls, part deux

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Araness, I hope you don't mind, the other thread was taking a while to load.
Now the entire state of Georgia is trying for a Pit Bull Ban.
There will be meetings Mon July 18 and Mon July 25 to discuss House Bill 78 banning pit bulls in Georgia. The definition of a pit bull is described as - As used in this Code section, the term 'pit bull' means any dog that is an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or any dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any one or more of the above breeds, or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds. Non-Georgia residents will be allowed to transport their dogs through the state, but are only allowed one day to do so.

Here's a link to HB 78
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/sum/hb78.htm

Monday July 18th & Monday 25th.
The meetings will be held from 9-11am in Room 506 of the L.O.B.
(Legislative Office Building) across from the Capitol Bldg, and are open to the public.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Breed-specific legislation is utter nonsense. For that matter, most legislation passed today is nonsense - whatever happened to personal responsibility and common sense? The problem is, this type of legislation will affect only the law abiding, responsible pet owners. Does anybody really believe that passing yet another new law is going to influence those who breed irresponsibily, and/or who want to breed pits to fight? Absolutely not. New laws will not prevent people from getting mauled by crazy dogs. Only responsible owners can do that. That, and responsible actions from people who encounter stray dogs.

I've known pits who were so sweet and happy, as well as the scary ones who were used as junk yard dogs. There was a Portland Trailblazer who held dog fights in his basement, and one of his pits wouldn't fight, so he turned her loose on the streets. She was picked up by Animal Control, and somebody has adopted her, and she apparently is a very sweet dog and a joy to her new owner. Dog fighting is illegal in Portland, but that did not stop this man. Making pits illegal wouldn't have stopped him, either.

I've got a mix who possibly is part Pit Bull (I can't tell for sure, because every dog I see looks a little like my Georgie!) He's the absolute best dog! My next dog will be a Pit Bull as well, because I have found that they are smart, loyal, and very protective. In this day and age, that's not a small consideration.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This makes me scared for all the sweet babies animal control will lable "Pitbull" so that it doesn't count when they put them to sleep...

"any dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any one or more of the above breeds, or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds."

That blanket statement allows them to put ANY short hair medium size dog to sleep, expecially Boxers and Bulldogs who have a similar build.

Blandinsville, IL(Zone 5a)

I've never owned a pit bull, but have freinds that have them and you can walk up and take something out of their mouths when they are eating.

I owned a collie, and yellow lab, and although mine never bit any one you would be surprised that both these breeds are known biters. I know people with dobies, and German shepards, border collies, Akita's, Huskies, Samoyan (theirs are not biters), but they are known biters, and the list goes on. Heck the little terrior across the street is a no bigger than a minute, and he is an ankle biter.

It isn't the dog that is mean it is the owner that treats the dog mean and makes them mean. I feel sorry for each of those that this affects. Most people are responsible owners and take responsiblity for their pets, and the ones that don't the poor dog has to pay the price.

Annie

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

momcat,
I don't know if you are a member or not, but there is a website that has activist that work against breed specific legislation and other idiotic animal laws. As you can guess, they are very busy. I will try to find the site and make sure that they have this listed and are working on it. I have a pit and would be very proud to say so, as long as no governmental agency is listening. It's ashame that you have to lie about heritage to protect your babies. Here is a link to the website specifically about Georgia, http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/AlertPages/Georgia.htm .

They are trying to do the same thing here. Don't have time to settle on a budget for school finance, but let's be sure to put in a loophole so that the City of Houston can outlaw pits. Geez, sounds like a fine idea to me!!! I am sick of hearing about how these ignorant people are going to protect us all by not enforcing the laws we have and prosecuting the stupid people who are breaking the law, but outlawing a great breed of dog.

Gooselady
You should check out the website spindletoppitbullrefuge.org. They are the only pitbull refuge in this area and one of the few in the country. They adopt out dogs including transporting them if necessary. They also have good info.

I am sorry for the tone of my posting. I am not a bitter person, but this is a topic that really disgusts me because it is just fundamentally wrong. Doesn't matter if you like pits or not (although most people who don't like them haven't even met one), this is just stupid.

Edited to add website for BSL.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 5:25 PM

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

I was a humane society manager and we had two pit bulls, buster belonged to a guy in jail, and was a mean dog tyrone was brought in by an elderly couple whose son was killed in the army and had left the dog with them and they couldn't care for him, he was a gentle big baby. one day when we were cleaning cages the two got out, buster rushed and attacked tyrone. tyrone did not fight he just turned and placed one bite on buster that left him motionless. It was so amazing to see how gentle this dog was yet would not be attacked. back then they weren't so hated and tyrone got a good home. we kept buster till his owner got out of jail.there is not a mean breed just mean people who make some mean dogs no matter what the breed

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

shuggins, no I'm not a member, I will have to check out that link. In fact, as I had said in another thread, I don't have a pit bull, don't think I've ever seen a pit bull, and don't know if I'd know one if I saw one. I am a concerned breeder of purebred dogs (we breed and show Afghan Hounds), and I belong to a Pet Law group on yahoo groups. There are so many anti-breeder, anti-breed laws that animal rights groups and fear mongers are trying to get passed, I try to let people know what's going on, when I can. I know that there is a large group of pit and pit mix owners on Dave's and thought there would be some interest in this. I though this law was disturbing for many reasons, the fact that you can't take your pit/pit-mix/dog that has any characteristics of a pit with you to Georgia if you are planning on being there for more than a day, someone who possibly very little knowlege of dog breeds gets to decide if a dog has characteristics of a pit. It's all just so very wrong.
Deb

Lakeland, FL

Here is a pic of my pit bull, Lucy. She is hearing impaired, sweet natured, and has a touch of CP. Ya let some clown tell me I can't keep my dog and Canada here I come. What a joke. {The Legiwho?} Corky, Leo, Spike,Minnie,PJ, Lucy and all three birds,

Thumbnail by corky59
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm happy Georgia backed down but it never ends, this thread started when Denver was trying to do it! I agree with momcat, "someone who possibly very little knowlege of dog breeds gets to decide if a dog has characteristics of a pit." Many dogs are a mix of many things, even pure breeds have common "characteristics" the same as one another.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Corky! Is that a human leg bone she's chewing! ROTFLMBO!!!!! :)

Last night I was playing tug o war with my mix and my Rottie kept wanting to get in on the action but wouldn't bite the toy b/c my hands were there. He kept slobbering on me and looking at me like, let go mommy!!

Crimson, the characteristics part is almost as scary as breed banning. That leaves really no dog safe! Oh - he/she LOOKS like a Pit/etc. Gives the govnmt a free rein.

Nicole

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I happened to watch Animal Precinct last night and they were focusing on dog fighting. They had these Pit Bulls that had been fighting dogs. Every last one of those dogs was wagging his tail at the officers, standing calmly to be handled, looking relaxed around people. Maybe they would need serious rehab around other dogs, but they sure looked friendly around people! Poor doggies, that people would do terrible things like that to them!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Historically, fighting dogs (not that I agree with it) have been only animal aggressive. I have several books on Pits (since I own one) and they discuss the history of the breed as well as training, etc. and human aggression was cause to have a dog put down. Now that is not to say that a dog can't be both, but the two don't go hand in hand.

All of the bills that have been introduced here regarding breed specific legislation have the vague description also and it does give the government the authority to say that any dog of a muscular build and somewhat large is a pit. The goofball here said that he intended to get rid of the breed because a lady was attacked and killed last year by two dogs named as pits. I don't remember seeing the pics to know for sure if they were or not, but it still really don't matter. Even if they were pits doesn't mean that the breed should be exterminated. I also think that everytime the media indicates that a dog involved in a bite situation is a pit and is not correct, they should have to start their news broadcast with a formal retraction. They are as much a part of the problem as the idiots doing the bad stuff.

BTW, Lucy is my second favorite pit in the world (second only to our princess). She is so gorgeous. She looks like her fur would feel like velveteen. I love seeing the pics of her growing up (and up and up).

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Some of these "breed" descriptions for pit bulls could fit both Chihuahuas and Great Danes!

Lakeland, FL

Ever been bitten by a Pug? Those little devils are strong. I am back Hi to all. Lucy doing great. I am tired from Vacation. Marilynne

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

No matter what breed, be it Borzoi or Japanese Chin, a dog that makes an unprovoked attact on a human, especially a child, should be a strong candidate for destruction. This should not be a law, just common sense.

OK off my soap box, I am taking my Japanese Chin and Borzoi for a walk. When we get back we are going to curl up on the sofa and read a book. Well I am going to read, they will sleep, well maybe I'll sleep too.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2005 11:43 AM

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I have to agree with you. And, if the towns would be stricter on those who have dangerous dogs, perhaps they wouldn't feel the need to ban specific breeds. Dotti

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I read a comment in (Charlotte Observer) paper this weekend by a local Humane Society volunteer.

Don't live there but found this interesting. Their policy is called a 'Dangerous Dog' policy and each individual dog is evaluated regardless of breed in the event of a situation. A decision to put the dog down, etc is made based on that evaluation. I thought that was prefectly fair! Of course if one of my dogs did something I judged 'unworthy' (biting, etc. etc) can't think of a good word for what I'm trying to say. Anyway, I would put my dog down, they wouldn't even have to evaluate him or her.

Nicole

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My 3 year old grand daughter came to visit for the first time in almost a year (She lives in Calif.) She ran in the door and grabbed "Doodle" my Brussles Griffin and kissed her in the face. The kiss was met by a nip on Grand daughters nose.
"Doodle was severely scolded and sent to bed. The next morning all was well, and they were fast friends again.
A pet owner should always be on the watch for potential problems. "Doodle" is not a biter but she is a dog (I hate to admit it). The surprise of a little person coming into "her" house and grabbing her could have been avoided had I thought ahead.
I think some bites are the owners fault.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2005 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by picabo
Lakeland, FL

AwwwDoodle is a doll. I have been in your shoes. Spike is 20 and he will nip at kids if they run up and get in his space. He has cataracts, going deaf etc. BUT He knows when i scold him he did wrong and will go give them a kiss. It is because they startle him. Give Doodle an extra treat for us. Marilynne

Kernersville, NC(Zone 7a)

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2005/May/24/LNlist2.htm

This happened just up the street from my brother. It is so sad all the way around. Why there were kids there while the dog was under quarantine for biting, I will never understand. It just makes me so sad. Yes, the dog is the one who killed the child, but did the responsibilty end there? I don't think so...

Of course, now they want to ban the dogs. Hey, good idea! Banning drugs has certainly worked. Has anyone heard of a drunk driving accident since they made it illegal? Thank heaven there are so many laws, makes me feel so safe.

Rachel

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

There was that dog attack a couple weeks ago where a twelve year old boy was killed by a dog. The story was that the mother locked the BOY in the basement while she went out because she knew the dog was dangerous. Well, the boy got out of the basement and the dog got him. I feel really sorry for the boy, but how stupid do you have to be to lock up your child because you have a vicious dog in the house! I sure don't blame the dog any, but that "mother" should go to jail for neglect or something.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

It appears to me that the dog had issues, but not because it was a pit. As for the comment about putting the beware of dog sign in the window, well truth be told, we should probably have one at our house. We have good dogs, but if some one wasn't suppose to be there, they might get bit. Wouldn't blame the dog, they are just trying to protect their family. Besides, if you have the sign and some idiot wanders back in your yard, they can't say they weren't warned.

I am not without sympathy for the family. It is a tragedy, but the spin that everyone puts on it is very frustrating. The firemen saw "evil". They may have seen a very horrible scene and if a person were doing it, it might be evil, but I don't think the dog was evil.

I certainly agree with you, Rachel. Banning certain guns, drugs, etc. Okay, the people who do these things are criminals, so by definition, they don't obey the law...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

"Evil".... the only animal capable of evil is man. Evil is premeditated; planned and conscious of the right or wrong of the action it chooses. An animal cannot be evil.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

The owners sure can be though Crimson! You are right!

Nicole

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi folks! Just had a fun weekend at the Blue Ridge Roundup.

Here's something interesting. I took both my dogs - Mix and Rottie. Kenai, my mix is a female who was VERY well socialized by myself and a professional dog trainer. Austin, my male Rottie I trained myself and although he was well socialized, he just didn't get the extent that my mix did.

Anyway, Kenai was a BAADDD dog this weekend! She snapped at downscalebabe's sweet and small poodle. She also picked 2 fights with Blazer1's 2 Golden Retrievers. They both outweighed her by 10 and 20 pounds. I was very perplexed. Austin on the other hand was a perfect gentlemen and I was so proud of him!!! Mean Rottie - lol!! Kenai will NOT be going on anymore roundups with me - but Austin was such a doll he will be. Except for the panting which never stops and is loud enough to drown out conversation he behaved himself quite well! He's younger too.

Now for this link. I got it off my motorcycle forum. I will warn you - there are some GRAPHIC pictures on here. It made me cry first thing at work. There are some statistics and also a lot of heartwarm pictures too though.

Nicole

http://www.pitbullproblem.tk/

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

If you can stick it out to the end of that film, there are some beautiful pictures of dogs and their children. Thank you for sharing it Nicole, and thanks for the warning too.

(My Nick pants all the time, we call him "Mr. Obscene Phonecall")

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

HAHAHA!!!! Someone called Austin Darth Vader this morning! LOL!!

Nicole

OH, and all those sweet pics at the end made me cry even more..

This message was edited Sep 26, 2005 10:04 AM

Lakeland, FL

Thank You so much. Corky and Lucy James

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Got new babies. This is Lucy's (Corky59's) cousins.
Yes, shame on me. Another accidental breeding. At least now the hubby is building a pen now! ..Like closing the barn door after the horses are out.
These pits are up for adoption BTW. The mother is 3/4 pit, 1/4 chow- dad is full pit and father of everyone. (All cousins--Lucy, Effie, Darius and the new baby, Honey)

Thumbnail by cyberageous
Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Got new babies. This is Lucy's (Corky59's) cousins.
Yes, shame on me. Another accidental breeding. At least now the hubby is building a pen now! ..Like closing the barn door after the horses are out.
These pits are up for adoption BTW. The mother is 3/4 pit, 1/4 chow- dad is full pit and father of everyone. (All cousins--Lucy, Darius and the new baby, Honey)

Thumbnail by cyberageous
Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Oops! Pic didn't make it. This is Lucy's cousins- Effie and Honey.

Thumbnail by cyberageous
Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Sorry, I think my internet is holding back! Didn't mean to double post!

Lakeland, FL

Now Now, You know these are Lab and Collie. Tee Hee xoxoxo Lucy and Cork. Lucys trainer coming today for the first time. She is excited as I am. Bye, me

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Marilynne, how did Lucy's first day of school go?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Lab and Collie, yeaahhh - oh that's what they are!! Oh, that website made me want to go out and get one.. If only I didn't have to much to handle as it is.

Nicole

Lakeland, FL

We officially start training on the 22nd. This was her evaluation. The guy is awesome, like us and the vet he sees no retardation just a loss of hearing and the fact that she has us trained haha. He will work w/ us and she will learn to heel,sit,stay not jump all over folks and to walk w/us and not pull us down the road haha. She is out growing some of the jumping and going spastic when folks come in the door as I take the fly flapper and hit the table w/ it and tell her no and she calms down. Loves to all, Mom and Lucy

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

ncgardenaddict,
what a powerful video. here is a picture of my "mixed" breed. here in miami they are illegal. we found her on the street. she is the most loving dog i have ever had.
cassandra

Thumbnail by candela
Lakeland, FL

AWWWWWWWW, What a winner. Cork

Lakeland, FL

Here is my Lucy at 8 months. So sweet. Giving Daddy kissess

Thumbnail by corky59
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

her name is luna.this her darth vader look. just after swimming she is crazy about swimming. she even dives under water to about 3 feet retreive her bone.

Thumbnail by candela

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.