Sempervivums

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I bought 10 sempervivums in May and took photos while they were still in pots. I've had my patio done and it is now mainly gravel so I've been able to plant up my alpine sinks and start to plant things in the gravel. The semps have changed colour now they are settled in their new home, some quite drastically. Here's one called Corsair.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

This is how it looks now in the gravel.

This one is Wollcotts Variety again in the pot

And in the gravel

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Galanthophile, thank you for the photos. These certainly look happy in their new environment. I love Corsair's change of color.

somewhere, PA

Yes - that first one is just lovely, especially when its so red in the gravel.
Are you going to share pictures of your new patio? We've seen your
sinks & now your cute little semp's... it'd be interesting to see how you've
arranged them. :-)
Tam

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I just replanted some of my baby semps and other succulents in bonsai pots around the pond. The inspector arrived just as I finished watering them.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Apparently, they passed muster. I think this is a look of approval.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
somewhere, PA

Love his(her?) little white paws! Oh - and the cute pots too.
Tam

Happy to show you my new patio - I believe in recycling so I reused some of the old flags - there were 3 different sizes and 2 colours. Here is the before shot. It was so awful!

And this is today - the white strips at the top are the trims for my new windows which were started today. My raised beds need repainting and replanting then I'll be all done!

This is how I have the semps planted

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Galanthophile, what a tremendous job you undertook and accomplished. Your troughs look perfect in that setting. I overlooked the semps in the second photo until I saw the closeup. They have so much room to spread! It all looks just great.

Tammy, the kitty is a boy, Montgomery. He has a brother named Rohrschach because he's perfectly symmetrical. I love those little pots too, but the plants regularly grow out of them and have to be moved to more spacious accommodations, so I plant new babies in the pots each year.

somewhere, PA

What a lovely new patio! And those new sinks do fit in there beautifully.
Are you going to be able to resist planting up all that stone mulch area?
:-)

Tam

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

G. love your new patio. very elegant and it will show off your alpine collection beautifully. Now you can come over and do mine! Please?! t.

It's only taken me 12 years to persuade my DH to undertake it but we did it in a day! It is going to be difficult to resist planting up the whole area but in a way that was one of the reasons I chose gravel. I can plant creeping plants and herbs that wouldn't mind being trodden on every now and again. Thanks for the compliments. I'll keep you all up to date with progress.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Your patio looks 100% now! I can see it spilling over with alpines in the next year or two. I just picked up a few new Sempervivums at our NARGS conference last week. I'll have to get some pics of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.