A Plethera of Penstemon

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Although these aren't all in my rock garden, they all like the same conditions, and when I have a larger area for rock gardening, it will have many of these beautiful, long-blooming, easy care plants in it. These were all in bloom today, so I went and photographed them after reading Zuzu's little hint, hint post...LOL :)

Thanks Zuzu!!

This is Penstemon 'Cerise Kissed'

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

...P. 'Apple Blossom'

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

P. 'Thorn'....one of my favorites!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

P. 'Ruby'....I love the dark stems and petioles on Ruby, the red is a nice, soft red as well, easy to use in the garden. I have it in several places, and it never seems to clash as reds sometimes do...

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

P. 'Sour Grapes'....a really pretty purple with a blue wash on the outside of the petals...simply draws you in when the sun hits it!!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

P. 'Coral Kissed'....this is a really nice one too, the pic washes it out a bit....really a nice pink, with white inside!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

P. 'Hidcote Pink' with a Clematis 'Mrs N. Thompson' sneaking into the shot...:)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

A good-sized clump of Penstemon 'Blue Midnight' in the main border....constant bloom from late spring, to hard frost - months of bloom!!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

On the left side of the pic is a new Penstemon to me this year from Joy Creek - an excellent source for them and where all mine came from - P. 'Mother of Pearl', it has a neat opalescent pinkish/purple sheen....very nice specimen. The Spiraea was a freebie from a fall clearence sale at a local nursery...bounced back nicely...:)

Check out the Penstemon at www.joycreek.com

Have a great day!!!

Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad I made this my "homeroom" forum. Can you believe how wonderful everyone here is? The way they all responded to my request.... Remind me, Jame, to ask for something more exciting next time. Chocolate, maybe.

I love all of your Penstemon pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, almost forgot to show you my gorgeous hibiscus.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
somewhere, PA

I'm gonna just have to dig up all ten acres and just plant all these
lovelies everywhere!

Thanks for sharing Jamie.
Tam

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

That 'sour grapes' is the one for me! Love it. Didn't know penstemons could be so pretty!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Tam & Zuzu ~

Thanks for sharing my pics with me....you two are so great to always look, and say something nice...:o)

Z~ Your Hibiscus is gorgeous!!! What a pretty color!! I really want to get to know more about them....I don't even know how hardy they are, and if they would survive here?? But seeing that neat double of yours, I will find out...

Have a great day you two!!! ;) ~ Jam

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Tabasco ~

It is a pretty one, and thanks for looking....:o) The shade of purple is nice, add that blue wash and it really is a great Penstemon!! I am dividing it this fall - interested in a clump???

Let me know! ~ Jamie

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Jamie, my hibiscus have to spend the winter inside the solarium, but if I were pressed for space, I would just grow them as annuals. That one in the picture only cost $4.95 from Top Tropicals in Florida. I have to send away for the doubles because the only ones available locally are singles.

I love your Spiraea. It's so fluffy I thought it was a Filipendula at first. Here's my Penstemon/Filipendula combination.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.