Sauerkraut

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yesterday I finished shredding rest of my cabbage patch which was nine heads in all to make kraut. I packed it in a five gallon crock. I will let it set in there covered in the dark for 7 to 10 days then can it. I also have a batch going in the jars already. You use 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar to each quart. Pour boiling water over, cover and let work for 7 to 10 days. Drain and then add fresh hot water. Can in a pressure cooker. I think you still have to wait 6 weeks before you begin to eat it. I love homemade kraut so much better than the store bought which is so vinegary for me.

Any kraut makers? How do you do it?

Enkoping, Sweden

Lenjo, do you use suger in saurecraut it surprice me,why? I cut the cabbage into small and thin slices add one tablespoon per kilo or less with salt its enough with a half spoon also put the cabbage in a big bucket and let the salt drain the water out of the cabbage then after some hours or next day you take the watery cabbage and put them into smaller jars for xample 7 dl seal well if you want an other taste you can also add a little garlic or any other taste you like. Put the jars in a warm room 20 C degrees or moore for 4-7 days the put them into a colder room 10 C degrees for 2 month or moore our oldest craut is 6 years old and delicius. Right now we have about 1500 kilo craut to sell on the farmers market we also make other kinds of saurevegs as beans, cauliflower,carrots,onions and others.

Roger

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Roger, you sound as though you are definitely the expert, 1500 kilo of kraut, that is a lot of cabbage. I don't suppose you really need the sugar, the canning book recipe is the one that says to use sugar. I would love to taste your kraut, I bet it is delicious. I like to pickle cucumbers and beans too. Have never tried cauliflower, carrots, or onions. They all sound great.

Do you slice all that cabbage by hand with a knife? I put the cabbage through the food processor. I had an old hand slicer just for making kraut but one of my daughters took it as an antique.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Greetings,

It's been awhile since we made kraut but my husband was saying we should do it again this autumn. We have a kraut slice. I can't imagine using a food processor when the slicer works so well. I don't believe that we ever put sugar in ours, but I'd have to look up the recipe. We still let it ferment for awhile, but how long is a bit subjective, I think.
We used to process it in a boiling water bath, but now we just stick the jars in the freezer which works quite well.

Ann

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We shred our kraut and put it in a crock and add (I think) 1 TBSP canning salt to 5 pounds of cabbage. I'll have to look up the exact measurements again.

Then we work it with our hands until it's got juice enough to cover. We don't add any water unless the cabbage was too dry for the salt to work enough water out of it to cover.

Then we put a flour sack towel over the crock, then a plate, then something heavy on the plate to hold the kraut down in the juice.

We take the towel off and rinse it out every day for 2 weeks. It gets scummy. After two weeks we put the kraut in jars and can it.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Do you have special dishes that you serve with your sauerkraut, Joan and ViolaAnn?

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I would be interested in recipes using the kraut. I like it, but DH will eat it reluctantly.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I don't have any special recipes for using kraut. We mostly use ours on sandwiches and brats.

I have been known to just eat it out of the jar with a fork though. :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

We use ours similarly to Joan. Generally cold and more like a salad.

In the mid-80's we had a trip through East Germany and in downtown Leipzig, there were stand-up snack bars. The basic sandwich was a crispy bun with sardines and saurkraut. Good!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I know here we like to heat kraut with sausages, brats as you call them. I love kraut with pork and mashed potatoes. I always enjoy it hot. My sister in law has a recipe for chocolate cake with kraut in it. As I recall it is really good; no taste of sauerkraut at all.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I should relate a sauerkraut related story. My husband brews his own beer at home and has done so for many years.

Back in the early 70's when we were new to making both kraut and beer, he had simultaneous batches fermenting in the same room.
It became obvious upon testing the beer that the organisms that ferment beer and kraut successfully are not the same and we apparently had a bit of cross contamination from one to the other. As I recall, the kraut wasn't adversely affected, but the beer sure tasted funny.

We've never tried that again.

Ann

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

But kraut and beer sound good together with a smoked sausage of some sort. But kraut tasing beer would probably be kind of sick.

Enkoping, Sweden

Lenjo, I have a quite big slicemachine it would take a very long time to slice so much cabbage. If you want to make saure cucumber take small and thin cukes some dill,garlic and some leaves from black currant put everything into for xample 7 dl jars add one tablespoon salt fill up with cold water and seal,warm room for 4 days after that a cold room for about 3 weeks then you can start to eat, this is good for about a year after that the cucumbers could be to soft and slimy. This is only one kind of recepy you could use other ingrediens if you want, taste, use your favorite herbs, make your recepy yourself and dont forget to tell us about it

Roger

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Roger, I have two different ways of making pickles. One in the jar and the other in the crock. I prefer just to make them in the jar. We use dill, garlic, salt, vinegar, grape leaf or alum, sometimes a little red pepper. These are packed into a clean sterile jar and then left for 6 weeks before you eat. My mother made her pickles this way and I have found it the easiest for me too.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I also make mine in the jar. I DO process the jars in a boiling water bath, but just for about 5 minutes and only because I got a better success rate of jar seals than when I just poured the boiling brine over top. Mine sound similar to Lenjo's except I don't use alum. (I did win a first prize at the local exhibition some years ago). Lately, I've been augmenting the recipe with a third-a half of a cayenne pepper in each jar. Gives a pleasing nip to the finished product. ;-)

It would be interesting to compare proportions of vinegar, salt and water.

Ann

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I will find my recipe, Ann, and post it a bit later.OK?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Me too. Ottawa International chamber Music Festival begins tonight. Largest such festival in the world with 120 concerts in 15 days. I expect to be out every evening and some days all day. Volunteering at 15 concerts and attending at least 10 more. Should keep me out of trouble and off DG a little bit. But I'll find the recipe. ;-)

Ann

Enkoping, Sweden

Lenjo, ViolaAnn, very interesting please tell us your recepy. The recepy I told you about is a saure cucumber. we also make a lot of pickles one of our best is made from squash its from a squash cold goldrush with dill and habanero pepper. we also make pickles with basil and garlic and a lot of others I think its about 10 kinds of pickles.

Roger

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Roger and Ann, my recipe for dill pickles handed down to me from my mother. It is funny I really had to search for this too and I am glad I found it. I had it in my head but wasn't exactly sure I had it right. And so.....
Dill Pickles

Wash cucumbers and pack in clean jars.

Mix together and boil 2C vinegar, 4 C water, 1/4 C salt. This is your brine.

Into each jar with the cucumbers add 1/4 teaspoon alum or in a pinch I have used 1 grape leaf, 1 flowerette of dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cloves garlic, and if you like you had a small piece of a red hot pepper.

Pour brine over cucumbers. Seal with hot canning lids. I process in the pressure cooker on 5 pounds to just bring the pressure up and then take it right off so that the jars seal. My mother had her jars hot and lids too and she wasn't overally concerned if they didn't seal. We never got sick but they are so much more cautious now about food poisoning. You have to wait 6 weeks before you start to eat.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's mine. Sorry for slow reply. The Ottawa International Chamber Music Festival started Saturday evening and so far I've been out to 6 concerts. Four more tomorrow. The largest chamber Music Festival in the world - it has 120 concerts in 15 days.. My time on DG will be severely compromised until it's over.

My brine is:

7 1/2 cups water
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt

Mix together and bring to a boil.
Put 1 or 2 garlic cloves, some dill and maybe a piece of cayenne pepper in each (sterile) jar. Pack the washed cucumbers into the jars. Add boiling brine to cover. Add lids and rings and I process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes, mostly to make the jars seal. The original recipe did not call for this step.

I often put a couple of garlic cloves into the boiling brine.

As above, let them sit for awhile before you eat them. I've never put a time on how long.

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.