More alpines

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here's yet another selection of currently blooming alpines. This is Campanula garganica 'Dickson's Gold'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula poscharskyana 'E. H. Frost'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula raineri...a blurry pic so I'll have top retake. This one is a stinker to grow.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Convolvulus lineatus...I can't rave enough about this gem. It is a subshrubby bindweed! The flowers are only about 1.5 inches across. The foliage is silvery. Stunning plant.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Dracocephalum tanguticum. This is its first blooming.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Penstemon serrulatus...it is short-lived but self-seeds. I have had it for over 20 years.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and this year a white one cropped up.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sedum kamtschaticum 'Variegatum'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and although much too tall for a rock garden, Codonopsis clematidea is truely an alpine from the Himalayas

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh boy, more Campanula, and Codonopsis, which is almost the same thing, isn't it? That beautiful Dracocephalum is one of the things that arrived dead in my package from Wrightman's this year.

All of these are just stunning, Todd. Are they all in your garden or are some from the public gardens?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

All from my garden. If I started to show those from the public garden I'd be posting forever! Maybe over the winter I'll show some of the interesting plants from our botanical garden.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The penstemon is gorgeous and I particularly like the white form. A very nice selection of plants.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Penstemon serrulatus is absolutely gorgeous, that serrated edged foliage is so distinctive! I have been looking for that plant....did you start it from seed, or did you originally have a plant....???

All your pics are great, as usual...:-) I always love to see a plant I am growing, being grown in another country, and looking so very similar....I finally found a place my 'Dickson's Gold' was happy....yours is just wonderful, flourishing!!

Keep posting Todd - we are all hanging on every pic as our Rock Gardens are so far past their peak..:)

Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Jamie, I have had Penstemon serrulatus for over 20 years. I orginally got the plant from our botanical garden plant sale as P. alpinus. They grew theirs from seeds. Obviously, yhe seeds were mislabelled but the leaves made it easy to ID. It is still here at the Botanical garden and my garden! Plants live about 3-4 years but self-seed to keep them going. It took 20 years for a white one to crop up. I will collect seeds from it and hopefully at least a few of the offspring will be white. It is easy to tell the white ones as their leaves are pale green compared to the purple ones.

Drop me a line in September to remind me and I will send some seeds of the purple ones your way.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Same for you Galanthophile seeing as you liked it.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Todd~

I appreciate your generous offer...and will gladly take you up on it! Thank-you, I am amking a note in my garden Journal now, and will drop you a line in Sept.

Thanks again,
Jamie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.