Gardening with Texas Native Plants & Wildflowers Part 8

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

This is a continuation of parts 7-6-5-4-3-2-1

To go to part 7 click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/527362/

To go to the Native Plants in Pictures Directory click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/528122/

Hello Everyone,

The people on this thread are interested in discussion, seed and plant trading, and learning in general about native plants and wildflowers.

We are dedicated to plant conservation and love to demomstrate what can be done with the native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics. Many of the plants in our yards are native and we are always looking to improve. We are sure there are others out there doing the same thing and loving it as much as we do. Please let us talk about what you are doing and what you have accomplished.

We hope to hear from all you dedicated gardeners. Let us have some fun.

Sincerely, Josephine.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2005 2:38 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Made it over here.

Red Yucca seeds anyone? I still have 10

Alright here is a little question for everyone - what is the one native or wildflower you wish you never planted or let stick around thinking it might be something good?

Mine - Johnson Grass... I saw it with red tips in a field, thought it looked great and took a piece. Planted it in my bed and yikes now I hae to get it out from everything - my mistake and lesson to why you always need to look up the plants you want to get!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Mitch is the yucca easy to start from seed? I'd hate to kill more seed. I'll take some. I think it would do well along side a small native yucca I have. Thanks

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I see some red yucca around here, but we have never been able to grow it. Let someone else give it a try.
trois

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I dont know - I am trying with the other 10 seeds myself ... cant hurt to try right? Kim Gaither told me that it was really easy a while back... Wil get them out to you bettydee - I hae started regular yucca with no problem so I guess it is easy?? Daves me over your addy and I will get them out to you - Mitch

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

There is some Johnson Grass here, but it is not a problem. Where I grew up in Oklahoma, it was the worst plant to have. One farmer "lost" about 40 acres of prime cotton in the middle of a large field of Johnson Grass. The person that bought the place found it and harvested the crop, making almost enough to pay for the farm. He then hired me to spend every minute I could spare from school and so forth, ploughing and replowing the stuff. It took 3 years to get it under control. It can be very invasive. Sudan grass looks almost identical but is easy to control.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Where did you grow up at in OK? I was born on Lawton and my wife in OKC.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I grew up 6 miles South of Granite. I was born 5 miles South of Mangum.

We lived in Lawton for 10 years after we returned from Bermuda. It was really nice because of the nearby Wichita Mountains, where we spent a lot of time. I took my sons fishing almost every Friday night during warm weather. We would spend the night at French lake fishing and watching Stars and Fireflies. We were constantly visited by a big group of Raccons. On the way out we were frequently blocked by herds of Bison sleeping in the road.
trois

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I love that whole area of the state.. I dont know French Lake myself but googled it and looks great.
We moved a lot growing up but always went back to OK when we had the chance (moved from OK to south TX to OK to Costa Rica to Mexico to MO then on my own back to TX) We love to travel to Crystal Mt - just soak it all in.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Another Okie here, I am from Ponca City, OK. Both my husband and I both, actually. My dad is currently moving to Eufaula, and my sister lives in Edmond, FIL in Stillwater.... we got out, and got to Texas in '84!

(So, ya know... we're not natives here, either.... then again, originally from Germany... if ya wanna get technical...)

=D

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Ponca City is a beautiful city. The Arkansas River is majestic at that point. Oklahoma is very diverse.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Irish both sides here - mostly like everybody we are a little mix of everything.

We own land out in the boonies of Latimer Co. Four acres we hope to retire to one day.

This is great, learning about everybody's background, why haven't we done this before?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I am constantly amazed at how many okies I run into down here! AND in my neighborhood alone, there is an okie or 2 in a large majority of the homes here... seems this hot, dry, flat treeless acreage reminds us all of home...lol.

Yes, the arkansas river is a big part of that area, running into the dam at Kaw Lake. That is near where I grew up... so the lake was a big part of my life, that and the 10 acre farm I grew up on... hated all that gardening and crops and animal stuff back then. Wish that I had all that today... but not enough to go back... as my dad has it on the market right now!

ahhhh the good old days.

mitch, I don't recall where latimer county is....

mel

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I think Oklahoma's primary export is to increase the Texas population.

Several of our neighbors are from Oklahoma.

My wife is from California.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

We've always said that Oklahoma is a great place to be FROM...

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Latimer - way out east in the few hill OK does have - Out by Robbers Cave, we are right by Buffalo Valley in a little place called Falfa. The land is part of my great great gradfathers place, we split it up among my gradfathers kids (five of them) and my father gave us the four acres at our wedding. We have the old homeplace - right over a creek in the potato hills. Great little place in the middle of nowhere!

Mitch I sure would like to go and visit your place with you and Esther some day,
I think that tradition is so important. My father worked for a bridge building company, and we moved all the time, as soon as one bridge was finished, we had to go to another place where the next one was being built, so we never had a permanent home. Then I married my first husband and came to this country 44 years ago.
I wanted very much to have a permanent home for my children, and thank the Lord, I have been able to do that, for 37, years right here at this house, where I plan to stay untill the Lord is ready to take me to my final home.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That sounds like us - we plan to stay here until we get the chance to move to our little spot up in OK in 30 years or so....
My yard is still so sad . . . so little, we would love to have you over but it is really stark yet - I think you would like what we have started you just got to see it more in your mind then in the garden - LOL Thaat said you are more then welcome here anytime!

We will do that one of these days when it is convenient for you Mitch.

One thing I found out yesterday the squirrels are eating the Possom Haw berries while still green, I stood there and watched them do it, so I know it is them. The tree was loaded with berries and I was looking forward to this fall and winter, to the bare branches covered with red berries.
Well, more than half are gone already, so I am afraid I won't have much if any by fall.
Sometimes I have a mind to pack them up and take them to Veterans park. They also ate most of my figs, between them and the birds we got may be 25 figs in all.
Well, I wanted to provide a happy habitat for God's little creatures, and it looks like I have at least accomplished that much. Josephine,

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Same problem. Only one Passion fruit made it to color. They are eaten green. I think I got 2 figs so far. Again, they are eating them green. Last winter the Racoons started eating my ripe oranges. We had probably a couple of million Mulberries which were for the wildlife, and not a one lasted long enough to change color. We have to pick our Persimmons too early or they are messed up by mocking birds eating holes in one side. The Swallows eat the Dragonflies so we have mosquitos. The turtles eat my fish food. The bunnies eat my Rose Mallow. Life is!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I think I might have to drag out the Deer netting and wrap me up some trees! I used to do that with my tomatoes! Mrs. Mockingbird and I go round and round! Now, I plant 3 for me, and 2 for her! She still takes WAY more than her share! =(

mel

We went for a walk last Sunday at Veterans park and discovered the they have made a beautiful area for compost classes and demomstrations. They have three large signs shown in the picture under mesquite and oak trees and behind that there is an area with semicircular benches for people tp sit and watch the demonstrations in the shade.
They have classes given by volunteers every Saturday morning, and it is free.
I think they are doing a great job and deserve to be appluaded for it.
Josephine.

While we were there we saw that the pond was almost dry, but surprisingly these plants were thriving. I would like to add them to the aquatic thread pictures, but unfortunately I don,t know their names, or whether they are native or not.
I thought that you guys who are fond of water plants might be able to help.
Here is the fisrt one, low and cute.

And the second one tall and lush. I hope you guys can help.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Josephine, the short and cute one looks like Australian violet. Not necessarily a water plant, but it likes moist soil and shade. Pretty little purple flowers poke up above the foliage. It can make a groundcover, but is limited somewhat because of the need for moisture and shade, and it doesn't like it too hot. I have some in a wall planter by my front door and had some in an old hibachi in my backyard. The hibachi bunch succumbed to the heat.

Ah! Found the plantfile, someone misspelled "Australian"

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1419/index.html

This message was edited Aug 2, 2005 2:06 PM

Thank you Mary, you may be right, but since it is growing in the pond and it is supposed to be a native habitat, I am not sure yet, although it wouldn't be the first time that some one planted the wrong kind of plant, for what it was supposed to show. I will wait and see if there are other suggestions.
Good to hear from you.
Josephine.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ask the people at Veterans Park for an id. ;-)

I wish I could John, but I don,t know how to reach them, it is run by volunteers.
They work there on Wednesday mornings, so may be I can go and find someone who might know, we'll see.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Frostweed - the lizards tail I was growing up turned brown and heeled over all in about 24 hours... Dont know aht happened to it but I guess I will not have one for you untill (and If) I can get my seeds to grow! Sorry - Mitch

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

After mine bloomed, it must have set seeds, then quickly curled up and went under water. I haven't seen it since.

May be that is the way it normally behaves, the book says it is perennial, but may be it goes dormant after flowering. Come to think of it, remember the one we saw at Veterans park ? Well when we went there Sunday I looked for it but couldn't find it, so it is likely that it goes dormant in the summer, we shall see, right?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Great so maybe mine is still out there and in the spring I can split it for you! I thought I had killed it somehow.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

...the water appears safe for me again... My Ironweed has little purple blooms on it! :) Of course it's the one in the back corner that I can't see, but I'll go visit it.

I have been wondering too, does anyone know if I should deadhead the Mist Flower? It seems to grow new blooms on top of the brown seeds, so I'm not sure what to do. If it will continue to bloom on it's own without deadheading, that's fine too.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I planted my iron weed right by the back door - then again my big beds are flanking the back door!

Good to have you back Paige, I am not familiar with mist flower, but I bet Mel can help. Josephine.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Mine just keep on blooming till frost.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

They keep blooming like crazy, but if you don't want 6 dozen more.... carefully cut off the brown heads!

I just dug up about 6 sf of them this weekend, and need to take out some more!

mel

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yikes I had thought runners would be the only problem... I had it planted in a floating pot in the pond - it loved it until the day the music died...

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

Not to change the current subject but of course I will. Found this and it explaines the reason that I do not plan to grow vegetables and only grow flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.